Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #91
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Spite nothing could be seen sharply, video shows what we have to see.
Pretty impressive, regarding what I have on my original reader.
I assume problems with final output depend on css file in epub container
and extra tags in parts of the book.
Yep, touch seems to be my present for future occasion.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #92
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Now...one thing that could be enhanced is the endnote functionality. While endnote hyperlinks seem to be clickable now, they take you to the end of the chapter or book to the corresponding endnote. It would be nice to have a small icon to click in order to flip back to the original page. Otherwise, whenever I go to an endnote I have to flip back many many pages in order to get back to where I was. I am not sure how these features are implemented on other readers, but something innovative here would be very helpful and make the feature useful!! Thanks Kobo team!!
If you open the bottom menu after navigating to an end note you'll see Back as the option. This takes you back to the page you were just reading.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #93
porphyra
porphyra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless, Kobo Touch
This firmware release is great. My girlfriend has been waiting for a reader that can display Chinese characters without converting to PDF. Finally yesterday after this firmware..voila. Loaded 3 Chinese fonts in the fonts folder and sideloaded some Chinese epubs.

The default font showed all ?????????????? but in the options we saw the 3 Chinese fonts I loaded, and on selecting 1 of those my ears were ringing with the excited squeals of delight from my gf. Needless to say, I didn't see much more of her for the rest of the evening!!

Thanks Kobo for finally releasing a firmware that actually makes the device live up to its potential. Will play around with the some Hindi fonts later. I suppose after that we run out of languages we can speak other than English
porphyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #94
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by daewon View Post
but sometimes...although 90 percent of the time not, it does work...so if they did send me a new one do they cover shipping?
I am not sure how they handle that. Best way would be to ask them what the procedure is. Or if one of the KOBO DUDES are reading they might be able to answer that question for you

good luck

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #95
porphyra
porphyra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless, Kobo Touch
Quote:
but sometimes...although 90 percent of the time not, it does work...so if they did send me a new one do they cover shipping?
I had to RMA my Kobo wireless due to a screen issue. The CSRs are very good. If they do determine that something is indeed wrong with your unit, they will ship an empty box to your address with a prepaid return address label. All you have to do is to put your kobo in the box and drop it off at the appropriate courier's box (or schedule a pickup).

And they will eventually send you a new piece. No shipping cost involved on your end.
porphyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #96
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm also having issues with italics not being displayed in 1.9.5. This is fairly important in the book I'm reading and makes it a pretty broken update in my mind. I've tried a couple of epubs both through sideloading and transferring via calibre. While my kobo won't display the italics, the calibre viewer does. I really hope they get this fixed soon because it's making it rather irritating to read
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #97
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
Someone mentioned today about asking for a video of the new font changes. I found one here on google news http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ok-font-video/
Thank you. You really have to see the update to appeciate it. Very helpful! Can't believe you can fine tune stuff in that manner.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #98
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithradyr View Post
I'm also having issues with italics not being displayed in 1.9.5. This is fairly important in the book I'm reading and makes it a pretty broken update in my mind. I've tried a couple of epubs both through sideloading and transferring via calibre. While my kobo won't display the italics, the calibre viewer does. I really hope they get this fixed soon because it's making it rather irritating to read
I can help you revert to 1.9.4 while waiting for a fix, if you like. It requires a factory reset and not using the Kobo Desktop app, however.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #99
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Yes they do cover shipping. The way it works is that they send you a prepaid UPS package with some bubble wrap and such you put your kobo in there seal it up and take it to the nearest UPS store as I said postage is already paid. Once they get your kobo they will either replace it or repair it and send it back to you in my experience the whole process takes about a week though that may depend on where you are located.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #100
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Don't ePubs have their own fonts/margins/spacing/justification etc? Is it not possible to just use what any given ebook specifies, rather than overriding it with my own settings? I would have thought that's what turning off "Kobo styling" would do, but that doesn't seem to be the case...
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #101
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The request to adjust these to meet an individual's own preferences has probably been the most requested feature from day 1. Many (maybe most) people seem to really like to have their text appear in very particular ways. I believe that this has come about, in part, because of the lack of care that some publishers have given to formatting and also because when you increase/decrease font size (surely one of the advantages of e-reading) then the line spacing and margins seem to call out for adjustment.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #102
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The idea and implementation are great, and indeed, is much needed for the plethora of poorly formatted books that are DRM locked and not 'fixeable' by the average person. But I think the point of the poster above, and indeed I agree, there should be an easy option to view the book as it was originally formatted, which one presumes, is what chat check box was originally meant to do.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #103
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Certainly I agree with all that - and I have nothing but good things to say about the ability to control all of these things. I recognize that publishers in gereral are putting very little effort into the formatting of their ebooks. But I assume that will change. When creating a hardcover, the questions of typeface, margin, spacing, are an important part of the design process. Maybe that's lost forever with ebooks, but more likely not. What I'm getting at is that I'd like to have me reader set to show me what the book natively looks like (font/spacing/margins/justification), and then if there's something undesirable about it, I now have these beautiful new controls to fix the publisher's turdliness.

In particular this seems necessary for books which use non-standard characters. I've occasionally (meaning in 3 books out of probably 15) seen characters replaced by "?" because the necessary character doesn't exist in the selected font, whereas presumably this wouldn't be a problem with the font (that may or may not be) embedded/selected by the ePub. I have fond memories of reading a book in which the product "Drāno" was repeatedly referred to as "Dr?no". I've just finished reading Stephen Hawking's book "The Grand Design" in which it makes references to three fractions: "¼", "?", and "1/16" (The first two were supposed to be font characters, the third was actually an image I think).
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #104
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
perhaps true

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Nope, but out of the box, it came with user-set justification, margins, line spacing, and six acceptable fonts.

Plainly the need to ship in time for Father's Day caused Kobo to ship partially-baked software.
I'm sure getting it out for father's day was a prime marketing opportunity that was not to be missed.

Even still I dont think the initiall firmware was nearly as 'half baked' as you keep posting every chance you get ( I mean really Georgia font is barely readable)

Besides the kobo development team has been super active and making sure the device and firmware are top notch.

I sincerely hope you happy with your device once you get it and are equally loud and long in your praise of your kobo as you were in your critique of it.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #105
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by djloewen View Post

In particular this seems necessary for books which use non-standard characters. I've occasionally (meaning in 3 books out of probably 15) seen characters replaced by "?" because the necessary character doesn't exist in the selected font, whereas presumably this wouldn't be a problem with the font (that may or may not be) embedded/selected by the ePub. I have fond memories of reading a book in which the product "Drāno" was repeatedly referred to as "Dr?no". I've just finished reading Stephen Hawking's book "The Grand Design" in which it makes references to three fractions: "¼", "?", and "1/16" (The first two were supposed to be font characters, the third was actually an image I think).
This is generally a problem with books that do not embed any fonts. The fonts used by the readers have been irritatingly incomplete. I've fixed a few books like this by embedding the fonts in the epub myself. Not an easy thing to do however, and thank gods Kobo will soon have that fixed for everyone.