Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
displaying 2 pages on kindle like a REAL book

anyone know if will be possible to display 2 pages like in a ordinary spread out book?

has anyone every done this on the previous kindles?

Is there any software which could enable this?

since small fonts are available it should be quite easy to do this via software.

especially in landscape mode it could behave like a real book.

i urge someone to please write this software as the requirements seem small.

if not could we petition amazon for this?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
why do you want 2 pages, do you read both on a pbook? i doubt it...
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Not that this is a great option, but you could create custom formatted pdf's - it would be a pain, but it would work. Out of curiosity, are you reading on a 6 inch Kindle or on a DX? I couldn't imagine seeing 2 pages at once on the smaller screen
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
No offense but I read one page at a time. If you can read two at the same time that is odd.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

vugtitan, sorry for the jerks who as you can see are new to this forum and have not learned that MR people try to be respectful. As far as I know there is no way to show two pages in a MOBI book on a Kindle.

For the jerks, this is a very legitimate question. Especially if you own a DX as landscape is so big that two pages would be a great option. Even on a 7" screen like the Sony PRS-900 two page display is nice. I had one and it made landscape mode much better. For some people it might be a good option on a 6" screen too. Perhaps you narrowminded jerks should enlighten your horizons.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can do this on an iPad in iBooks, but not in a Mobipocket-format book.

I don't like it, because I can only read one page at a time, anyway, and I want to use the screen real estate to display more of one page.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the DX and I dont think that 2 pages would fit even in landscape more unless the writing was tiny tiny... and then I think my eyes would hurt trying to read it.

Currently there is no way to do it and I dont see Amazon doing anything about it. As for someone writing a program to do it, well, I am sure that someone would be able to figure it out but I dont really see it being something people would really demand
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 900 did it with a 7" screen. No reason why a 9.7" screen could not do it well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 900 did it with a 7" screen. No reason why a 9.7" screen could not do it well.
Really? Perhaps it is something that I need to experience to see the benefits/drawbacks
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For the jerks, this is a very legitimate question. Especially if you own a DX as landscape is so big that two pages would be a great option. Even on a 7" screen like the Sony PRS-900 two page display is nice. I had one and it made landscape mode much better. For some people it might be a good option on a 6" screen too. Perhaps you narrowminded jerks should enlighten your horizons.
It is a legitimate question. I don't think asking it makes anyone a jerk.
You talk about enlightenment, so how about you enlighten us by actually answering the question instead of insulting us?
It's like, if I were a kid asking "why does fire burn?" and you would tell me "oh, what an idiot, don't you know anything?!". I really fail to see how that helps.

Yeah, I'm not one of those who posted before but reading this, I can't help but wonder: why display two pages when you read only one?
Can anyone who actually knows answer this, please?
Is it because there's too much text per line when reading in landscape mode?
Is it because some people are too used to reading physical books, so they absolutely have to see two pages?

I did a test with the attached mock image (smallest font size on my DX). It's certainly doable on the DX, the text is readable (on the 6", it would indeed be too small), but I don't see the reason for reading like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03.gif
Views:	1582
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	57116  
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
It is a legitimate question. I don't think asking it makes anyone a jerk.
You talk about enlightenment, so how about you enlighten us by actually answering the question instead of insulting us?
It's like, if I were a kid asking "why does fire burn?" and you would tell me "oh, what an idiot, don't you know anything?!". I really fail to see how that helps.

Yeah, I'm not one of those who posted before but reading this, I can't help but wonder: why display two pages when you read only one?
Can anyone who actually knows answer this, please?
Is it because there's too much text per line when reading in landscape mode?
Is it because some people are too used to reading physical books, so they absolutely have to see two pages?

I did a test with the attached mock image (smallest font size on my DX). It's certainly doable on the DX, the text is readable (on the 6", it would indeed be too small), but I don't see the reason for reading like this.
This is an old question here at MR. They're not asking for 2 pages, they're asking for 2 columns. Why have 2 columns? Well, why do you see multiple columns in large books like encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc?

My guess is that it's easier to read. But whatever the reason, multiple columns are the rule, not the exception.

BTW, I did some screen shots of my 10" tablet last year:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=198
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is an old question here at MR. They're not asking for 2 pages, they're asking for 2 columns. Why have 2 columns? Well, why do you see multiple columns in large books like encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc?

My guess is that it's easier to read. But whatever the reason, multiple columns are the rule, not the exception.

BTW, I did some screen shots of my 10" tablet last year:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=198
We studied this in journalism classes a long time ago. The question is why do newspapers and magazines--which have book sized pages--still print the text in columns. The answer presented to us, is that it's cheaper that way.

People can read the material faster and easier with columns because every time the reader's eye gets to the end of a line they have to find the start of the next line. If the lines are long it's harder to find the next line quickly given how the text is typically printed.

The reason it's cheaper is that the publishers squeeze the lines together to use less paper for a given amount of text. With Mobi this isn't so much of a problem because the eBook lets you to set the line spacing. That said, I like the two column pages in the iPad. It seems to make reading easier.

Last edited by 6charlong; 08-25-2010 at 12:57 AM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
When I read e-books on my computer screen, I almost always use 2-page view (it just feels natural to display them that way), but I didn't like the 2-column mode on the Sony 900. I think it's the vertical:horizontal ratio of the columns. They're not the rectangular shape that my brain expects; I felt like I was reading a folded paper, and I had the desperate, uncontrollable urge to somehow unfold it. Maybe that's just part of my weirdly-wired dyslexic brain, but it was a distracting and uncomfortable way for me to read.

That said, I'm all for anything that allows users to customize their reading experience to best suit them. You should contact kindle-feedback@amazon.com (and/or kindledx-feedback@amazon.com) with a suggestion to add a two-colum display option - it could be a new justification selection.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Really? Perhaps it is something that I need to experience to see the benefits/drawbacks
It is a standard feature of several firmwares on the Hanlin V3 clones (6").

It works surprisingly well for devices, like the Sonys, that have bottom-mounted paging buttons, because in landscape mode, they turn into side-mounted paging buttons. (Duh, right? )

The Sony 900 with its extra-tall screen and bottom buttons is particularly good in this mode.

Do consider that a lot of people are used to tiny text on their smartphones and PDAs so the small size on a dual-page landscape 6" is plenty large and two side-by-side pages allows a more comfortable scan width at those sizes and half the paging.

It's a matter of preference, like everything else.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
People can read the material faster and easier with columns because every time the reader's eye gets to the end of a line they have to find the start of the next line. If the lines are long it's harder to find the next line quickly given how the text is typically printed.
I thought that was the case.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 pages, book, display, hack, software