Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
There & Back again. A short journey to understanding.

There & Back Again
With apologies to Bilbo Baggins

My observations along the way,

Earlier this year I had the urge/need for a new high tech gadget & eBook readers were just beginning their first downward price adjustment. The Nook WiFi had recently been released & was available at the B&N kiosk, making it ripe for impulse picking. Well, I picked. This was my first exposure to a handheld device other than a PDA or phone & I was initially attracted to the Nook's features beyond just reading eBooks. I soon found the on-line functions to be somewhat cumbersome & not really much fun. Two days into my relationship with the Nook, a friend mentioned that he had a Sony eReader & was very pleased with it. I was intrigued with the functionality afforded by the Sony's full touchscreen & impressed with its robust build quality. I made the switch from Nook to Sony & settled into this new relationship. As the honeymoon waned & the frequent occasions that the Sony's low-light screen legibility let me down, my eye started to wander back to the retail displays of eInk readers. That's when the Pandigital Novel made it's debut at a substantial discount. I was seduced by the possibilities of rooting the Novel & having an inexpensive, reasonably proportioned *Pad/eReader. Over the next couple of weeks, I became somewhat disillusioned with LCD readability in daylight & continued to use my Sony in some environments. Soon, the maintenance of a hacked Android "eReader/Tablet" started to get a bit tedious, with all it's bugs & quirks & technical work-arounds. I went back to my Sony & thought my wanderlust had been satisfied until I saw a Kobo display at the local Wallyworld. Price was right & I again strayed. I was happy with the screen, but not the user interface. For what it offers, the Kobo is a good product, but I want more navigation tools & I didn't like the placement of the page turn buttons. Side by side with the Nook, the Kobo text looked a bit lighter or less bold than the Nook with the best font match I could find. I exchanged the Kobo for a Nook of all things! Having come full circle, I can be much more objective in my critique of the Nook. My earlier impression of the LCD UI was that it was a full touchscreen wannabe, but now I can see beyond its limitations & understand how much it brings to the game. Without compromising screen legibility, the LCD touchscreen adds that element of control & multi-tasking, that I missed with the Kobo & enjoyed with the Sony. At this point, I appreciate the quality of the Nook's eInk display & the LCD touchpad lets me interact with the unit in a way that doesn't make me pine for the Sony's full touchscreen. By the way, I did consider the new Sony 650, but it's expensive & none of the accessories that I have will work, covers, charger etc. That last fact irritated me enough that I didn't give it a second look. In the end, or at least for now, the Nook is my go-to eReader & I am very happy with it. I am looking forward to the next firmware update & hopefully Nook will continue to improve in a few areas. Oh, I never seriously considered the Kindle because of the Amazon-only format & I don't much like the look of the Kindle with its keyboard. The Nook has a much better feel in my hand than the Kindle, Kobo & maybe even the Sony, although I still like the materials used in the latter. I will be adding an Android tablet in the next year & it will have it's place next to the Nook because, with the current offerings, I don't see a good do-it-all product on the market.

Cheers,
kev

Last edited by bugeyed; 11-13-2010 at 12:12 PM.
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
very nice story

I have found that to be a fairly common trend among different boards and such. When people first get the nook they feel it's a bit cumbersome and such. Then after they get the hang of it, they end up loving it.

I'm still thank my wife she brought hers home just days before I was going to order a Kindle.
I'm coming form an iPhone so I got the hang of it very very quickly and have loved it ever since.

by the way I'm a huge LOTR and Hobbit fan, loved the title
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Then they try a Kindle and go "Ohhhh this is what I have been missing."

(ducks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Then they try a Kindle and go "Ohhhh this is what I have been missing."

(ducks)
naw I still have my coleco Electronic Quaterback game I had when I was a kid in the 70 and 80's I can dig out of the attic when I want to feel all nostalgia like the kindle's UI and navigation

*ducks from Prof. shoe*
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
naw I still have my coleco Electronic Quaterback game I had when I was a kid in the 70 and 80's I can dig out of the attic when I want to feel all nostalgia like the kindle's UI and navigation

*ducks from Prof. shoe*
Shoes are for wussies. I throw cast iron tea pots thank you very much.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

*ducks from Prof. shoe*
Intellivision for me!
The Nook's touchscreen adds functionality that I have come to appreciate over menu driven devices that I have used.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote