Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What features are required for a 9.7’’ e-reader ?
Wifi 378 64.40%
3G 121 20.61%
Touch screen 334 56.90%
Stylus 196 33.39%
Color screen 213 36.29%
Email 125 21.29%
Web Browser 231 39.35%
Document search 393 66.95%
Dictionary 413 70.36%
Music player 84 14.31%
Video player 58 9.88%
OPDS compatibility 104 17.72%
Just show me the results 28 4.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #31
mikebliv
mikebliv began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Slate
I would have to say, I picked features that would be typical of a webpad. I just can't see a single-function device would be interesting unless it was cheap enough (less than $100). Anything costing more and I want webpad features, thus my ereader is a netbook until such time that my ideal webpad appears (hopefully by end of this year).
mikebliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #32
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Really, for me, just document search and a dictionary would be wanted in a larger device. the rest of the stuff depends entirely on the type of display used.

The things I'd want absolutely the least though is video or music.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #33
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Also, if everything else is up for discussion, why is 9.7" set in stone? Where did this magic number come from? Who are the people who need a 9.7" screen?

I mean, I read the responses from people who want perfect text reflow which would make books read really nicely on a screen of any size. So, you have to think, why is 9.7" he way to go? What documents am I thinking of? Why not 10"? 9.5"?
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #34
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
I should specify that by 'dictionary' I mean 1) the ability to add multiple dictionaries in different languages (i.e. not the single proprietary English dictionary the Sony 600 has) 2) preferrably a dictionary with a GUI that is as user friendly as that of the Sony 600!
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #35
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
One of my most important options isn't there: Battery Life - I expect/want at least 16 hours out of a book reading device. All the rest is gravy.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #36
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Some things that are missing - Ability to change fonts and font size, compatible with multiple formats, ability to check out library books.

I don't want a reader to be a tablet pc, pda or any other multi-media device. I want it to be an e-reader.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #37
ebioman
Enthusiast
ebioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Most important feature for that size:

pdf support and annotations plus their export
ebioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
How bout a basic 9.7" eink reader with a release date in my lifetime.

(How's that for a feature?)
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #39
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
I did not know what opds was,so I did not vote for it, but yes I want that and:
1. Adjustable text size
2. Long battery life
3. Must be e-ink
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #40
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggelbe2007 View Post
How bout a basic 9.7" eink reader with a release date in my lifetime.

(How's that for a feature?)
What about August? Sounds good?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #41
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetotree View Post
I did not know what opds was,so I did not vote for it, but yes I want that and:
1. Adjustable text size
2. Long battery life
3. Must be e-ink
i added your vote for opds, treetotree. thanks for your answer.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #42
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Document search, Dictionary. Everything else is not used for books.

Okay, over-the-air book shopping would be nice. Color screen is also nice for technical PDFs, but not a must.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
While I voted for Search and Dictionary, the essential features I want aren't listed.

1. Robustness. The screen should not shatter if dropped or leaned on or twisted.
2. A good, standards-compliant, ePub renderer with user customisation of font size, font, justification, margins and number of columns.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #44
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Most of the options are things that would be useful on a tablet computer, not an ebook reader. Nearly every feature on that list is one meant for doing something other than reading.

I'm with Mr. Ploppy. I want features for reading ebooks. I don't want color. I don't want video, audio, Web browsing, email, and all the rest; I have a netbook for that. I want features to make it a better ebook reader, not a half-assed computer. I want to read books. Oh, and I hate touch screens, and will not buy one.

What do I want?
  • a good, crisp e-ink screen
  • fast page turns
  • conveniently located, well-thought-out, and ergonomic controls
  • plenty of internal memory
  • SD card capability
  • fast library scanning/updating (I hate you Sony)
  • good PDF rendering (I don't need annotation)
  • multiple options for organizing my books
  • easy book browsing
  • a favorite book list (useful for often-used reference books, for instance)
  • the ability to get to any of my thousands of books in seconds
  • a text-based interface*
  • book status marking (unread/reading/read)
  • ability to read any common ebook format and many obscure ones
  • choice of text size and font, both default and per book
    (bonus if the settings can be managed in calibre)
  • some means of easily attaching any book light (a fold-out bracket?)
In other words, I want features that improve my experience reading ebooks. That's what I'm buying the thing for. The ability to do things other than reading ebooks is meaningless to me. Having a video player on an ebook reader, for instance, makes as much sense as having a dishwasher in my refrigerator. I want the world's best ebook reader, not the world's most half-assed ebook reader/video player/Web browser/music player/cell phone/PDA/pickle jar.

* Were I an illiterate moron only capable of pointing at pictures, I wouldn't be buying an ebook reader, now, would I?
In a nutshell for myself too. I have absolutely no interest in a tablet. I want a SUPER-505!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Zelda, your poll has left out some of the most important features. That is proper typography. In order to make the reading experience better, we need to have proper kerning and hyphenation support. These are two things that are left out of every single reader. This would give a much better look and feel to the text on the screen. Plus we also need history, page goto, annotation, and software that's not full of bugs the first time out (i.e. Kobo).

May as well got for an easily replaceable battery with an easy to get battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote