Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm pretty sure it's on there somewhere, or it was. Reading some of the threads on the Kindle forum it looks like it's 6 devices for major publishers and 5 for publishers using the DTP program. In which case that would have to be set by Amazon, which makes my previous post pretty much completely wrong.

It also looks like Amazon isn't actually asking publishers about the limit, it's just popping up on the books, very bad form.

Carl

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It's very bad form for Amazon to claim that this is a publisher-set limit when it isn't.

At my company we neither use nor support DRM-laden books for our direct sales, but some distributors (Amazon among them) insist upon it. On a side note, Fictionwise doesn't insist upon DRM; if a FW book has DRM, it's because the publisher wants DRM.

D
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
At my company we neither use nor support DRM-laden books for our direct sales, but some distributors (Amazon among them) insist upon it.
Amazon does not insist on DRM on the Kindle, but if you provide ebooks for the Kindle via MobiPocket (an Amazon company) then you must include DRM because they have no way to accept and sell DRM-free MOBI ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
... content deleted... I'd rather not reveal too much business info here.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Hey Wallcraft, you are probably right. Didn't even think of that angle.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
If I delete a book from my Kindle, I would expect it to free up the license. I know it doesn't do that and when/if I ever do run into the licensing limit, it may be 'class action suit' time....

I'm not being nasty here, but I am a definite early adopter and I now own three Kindles. Does Amazon really want me to start hesitating to order new devices because I'm approaching my license limit? Simultaneous limits are OK with me but if I buy a new Kindle I expect to be able to use my entire old library. I will delete them from the older Kindles but I want them to be downloadable to the new ones...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert