Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #121
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One advantage that ebooks have over pbooks is that you can buy them and be reading them within 5 seconds or so of purchase even at 2 am...
I used to buy a lot of used books on Amazon. But I realized that for about dollar to two more I could buy the ebook version and have it right then. That coupled with the benefit of always having my ebooks with me pushed me over the ebook edge.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #122
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Also ebook pages can't get dirty by being handled unlike a paper book. Borrow a paper book from the library on the other hand and you are dependent upon whomever borrowed the book before you having taken care of it while it was in their possession.
On the other hand, you have to clean the screen of your ereader every now and then, because, in contrast to a paper book, your "page" is always the same so dust collects on that page, besides fingerprints. In a paper book that doesn't happen, since you are always turning the pages.

i am really picky about this, and it really annoys me that i can't completely clean the screen. I don't find it easy to clean that small space between the screen and bezel, and when i do clean the screen with liquid (the same i use for a computer monitor) and wipe with a cloth, that is where some of the aggregated dust moves to, and it is a bit hard to remove it completely.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #123
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
A student once had a book printed, using the 400+ featured articles in Wikipedia of a particular year.

This book is just 0.01% of Wikipedia. English only. 'Nuff said. I'll carry the e-reader on public transport.

Size of the entire English Wikipedi, without images: almost 2,000 volumes

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #124
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At the risk of being like the Devil's advocate, I shall say that today I was caught by the rain when walking back home and I happened to have a paper book with me, let's just say that while paper books are no friends of the rain, If with such a downpour I had decided today to take my e-reader, I would have probably freaked out ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #125
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
There are distinct advantages to both formats. I'm glad that we aren't limited to one format. That may happen though, since so many people are publishing electronically only now.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #126
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
On the other hand, you have to clean the screen of your ereader every now and then, because, in contrast to a paper book, your "page" is always the same so dust collects on that page, besides fingerprints. In a paper book that doesn't happen, since you are always turning the pages.

i am really picky about this, and it really annoys me that i can't completely clean the screen. I don't find it easy to clean that small space between the screen and bezel, and when i do clean the screen with liquid (the same i use for a computer monitor) and wipe with a cloth, that is where some of the aggregated dust moves to, and it is a bit hard to remove it completely.
Now and then have to clean my PaperWhite's screen and I use an alcohol swab to wipe down my ereader's screen. It works very well. Plus the alcohol evaporates quickly so there isn't any liquid sticking round to gum things up like you describe. And the swabs are cheap as well. You can get a large box of them for $1.00 in your local pharmacy. (I take insulin shots so having a swab handy is useful.)
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #127
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
A little piece of cardstock, like a playing card or a magazine subscription card, works wonders for that. Just run the corner of the card lightly around that edge, and you're set. One of those flat microfiber cloths will also work, but not as well due to the lack of stiffness.

Personally, I wipe my e-ink screen off every so often, and "detail" it much less frequently, and I don't have a problem with it.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #128
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
At the risk of being like the Devil's advocate, I shall say that today I was caught by the rain when walking back home and I happened to have a paper book with me, let's just say that while paper books are no friends of the rain, If with such a downpour I had decided today to take my e-reader, I would have probably freaked out ...
I read in the rain with my ereader frequently. Unless it's a downpour and you are too busy running to read there is no problem, at least with a non touch screen. Never tried a touch screen in the rain.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #129
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I read in the rain with my ereader frequently. Unless it's a downpour and you are too busy running to read there is no problem, at least with a non touch screen. Never tried a touch screen in the rain.
The one kind of weather I think you can't read a PaperWhite in is when it's very cold. Either the ink will get sluggish from the cold or you will have trouble getting good tactile contact with the screen due to the fact that you're wearing gloves/mittens.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #130
PeterShow
Enthusiast
PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Sony Reader T3
I don't like to store paper books in boxes. I still have a few hundred paper books, but I gave many away. Most books I didn't give away are non fiction not available as ebook. But I will further buy less paper books and almost no more fiction books on paper.
PeterShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #131
PeterShow
Enthusiast
PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.PeterShow can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
The one kind of weather I think you can't read a PaperWhite in is when it's very cold. Either the ink will get sluggish from the cold or you will have trouble getting good tactile contact with the screen due to the fact that you're wearing gloves/mittens.
Because of these I love infrared touchscreen on my Sony.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #132
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An IR touchscreen doesn't alter the fact that eInk screens don't work in very low temperatures.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 AM   #133
PeterShow
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An IR touchscreen doesn't alter the fact that eInk screens don't work in very low temperatures.
But it works perfectly with gloves
Old 02-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #134
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know guys, while I love my e-readers (Kobo and Ipad) I still find it an enjoyable experience to go to a book store and perusing through all those nice paper books, admire their covers, the texture etc.
I think I am torn between the old fashioned books and the very nice e-book devices available nowadays.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #135
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I'm finding it harder and harder to pick up a paperback these days and I was a big ''physical copy or nothing'' kinda person. Whenever I go to B&N anymore I bring my Nook with me, peruse the shelves to see what's out, and then buy the ebook version. The only physical copies that I buy lately are those that are a part of a series that I've decided to collect i.e. 1632, Honor Harrington, Ben Bova's ''Grand Tour''; anything that I don't care about beyond simply wanting to read does just fine as an ebook.

Not even the price tags of ebooks phase me anymore, I consider it a fair trade for something that won't be musty and yellowed by the time I finally get to it .
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote