Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Younger Americans’ Reading and Library Habits

Quote:

The Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project has taken a special look at readers between the ages of 16 and 29 because interest in them is especially high in the library world and the publishing world. This report examines how they encounter and consume books in different formats. It flows out of a larger effort to assess the reading habits of all Americans ages 16 and older as e-books change the reading landscape and the borrowing services of libraries.1

The main findings in this report, including all statistics and quantitative data, are from a nationally-representative phone survey of 2,986 people ages 16 and older that was administered from November 16-December 21, 2011. This report also contains the voices and insights of an online panel of library patrons ages 16-29 who borrow e-books, fielded in the spring of 2012.
http://libraries.pewinternet.org/201...ibrary-habits/

Some interesting findings, including the fact that the vast majority of reading done by all age groups is still done using print as opposed to ereaders.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
WAS still done using print a year ago. I suspect a lot has changed in the past year. Also, the survey was via phone, so probably oversampled homebodies and the less technical -- many of whom do not have landlines.

Anecdote: a year ago my youngest did not own a tablet. Today, he hardly is without one in his hands. We screen our calls and do not respond to unknown callers.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How can so many little kids own or use tablets ? tablets are very delicate and easily breakable. They can drop them, wet them, put them in schoolbags full of heavy books risk bending and so on.
Well some kids could be more careful but most young kids aren't.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The survey was of 'readers between the ages of 16 and 29' and a lot of these people have tablets. My kids are fifteen and nineteen.

Many schools are considering switching to tablets/ereaders for content distribution.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
WAS still done using print a year ago. I suspect a lot has changed in the past year. Also, the survey was via phone, so probably oversampled homebodies and the less technical -- many of whom do not have landlines.

Anecdote: a year ago my youngest did not own a tablet. Today, he hardly is without one in his hands. We screen our calls and do not respond to unknown callers.
And even if you don't screen when someone rings at random and says "We're doing a survey..." then most people don't leap up and say, "Oh goodie, I've nothing better to do than waste my time answering silly questions to an unknown group that isn't going to benefit me in any way..." The response tends to be much shorter and often direct...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
How can so many little kids own or use tablets ? tablets are very delicate and easily breakable. They can drop them, wet them, put them in schoolbags full of heavy books risk bending and so on.
Well some kids could be more careful but most young kids aren't.
I bought my 7 year old daughter a Kindle Fire for Christmas and so far so good. Granted it's just a $200 tablet so not a huge loss if she breaks it. Still I made it clear to her that I won't buy her another one anytime soon if it breaks due to her not taking care of it.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote