Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
ms007
ms007 began at the beginning.

Device: academic ereader
Tough Ereader?

Hi everyone. I am not sure if you can help me out at all, but I am looking for an ereading device which can take some bumps. An ereader which one could carry along during outdoor activities and could still take it out after a day of hiking for example without coming across a cracked screen.

I think LCD displays are out of the equation for that, although I heard some good things about gorilla glass? Would such a device survive, lets say a drop of a meter or two or a bump against a wall (in a backpack)?

Somewhere I read that there are eink devices with plastic screens, so would that work?
ms007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are no tough eInk devices, but there are tough CASES to carry eInk devices in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's the Wexler Flex One. It's tough due to its flexible display which doesn't crack. The form factor takes some getting used to, though. I don't know if any other readers use this display yet.

Another reasonably tough model is the PB360. It comes with a lid so it's sturdy even without a case. But as all other eink devices, the screen is just glass. So it will crack under stress; one user managed this recently by putting it in his ass pocket and bending down pants can exerct quite a lot of force on such a device

Tough cases can only do so much too. Might help with drops and regular backpack bumps, but torsion is a bitch and if your backpack weighs as much as you do...

No matter which device you get, you'll just have to devise a way to treat it very carefully.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
ms007

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
There's the Wexler Flex One. It's tough due to its flexible display which doesn't crack. The form factor takes some getting used to, though. I don't know if any other readers use this display yet.

Another reasonably tough model is the PB360. It comes with a lid so it's sturdy even without a case. But as all other eink devices, the screen is just glass.
Is the Wexler display glass as well? If it doesn't crack it might fit the bill. Where can I purchase it?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
ms007

Ok, from all that I could find about the Wexler it seems to have a plastic display and might be exactly what I am looking for.

Frostschutz, can you please link me to a place or webstore that sells this device?
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms007 View Post
Ok, from all that I could find about the Wexler it seems to have a plastic display and might be exactly what I am looking for.

Frostschutz, can you please link me to a place or webstore that sells this device?
ShopEreaders seems to have it. $329.99

There's a hands-on review available from goodereader.

Note that it does not handle DRMed ePubs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
$329, seriously? It'd be cheaper to buy a regular reader, and buy a new one if it breaks.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
ms007

Thanks pdurrant!

But that price is a bit steep, especially compared with the non-plastic competitors.
Also, I live in the EU and would have to pay customs on top of that. Is there a EU located store that sells them?

Or any other suggestion for what I m looking for?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks pdurrant!

But that price is a bit steep, especially compared with the non-plastic competitors.
Also, I live in the EU and would have to pay customs on top of that. Is there a EU located store that sells them?

Or any other suggestion for what I m looking for?
That's the only rugged (i.e. non-glass substrate) eInk device I know about. It doesn't seem to be very widely available though.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
ms007

I did some more research, but people here and I think the wexler is the only device that would fit my needs atm.

I was not able to find a EU based retailer that sells it, therefore I would like to know if the more experienced people on the forum know any place where one can buy it and at least save the additional shpping and customs?

Maybe someone who owns a wexler can chime in ?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is a case. For the kindle that is made out of the same material as the canopies of fighters. The case is called Klear Kase. It is water resistant and very strong. The case and the kindle would be considerably less expensive.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I did some more research, but people here and I think the wexler is the only device that would fit my needs atm.
Is there any reason that you think a strong case would not be sufficient for you? I take my Kindle hiking with me, in a leather cover inside a metal box (an old DVD case, in fact) and it's never suffered any mishaps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
$329, seriously? It'd be cheaper to buy a regular reader, and buy a new one if it breaks.
My thoughts also. You can buy 4 Kindle 4's for that price:
  • Wexler Flex One = $330
  • Kindle 4 = $79 x 4 = $316 and $14 leftover to buy a case
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
ms007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any reason that you think a strong case would not be sufficient for you? I take my Kindle hiking with me, in a leather cover inside a metal box (an old DVD case, in fact) and it's never suffered any mishaps.
Sorry, I didn t even think about a good case being an option, since I was looking for a device which has a plastic/ gorilla glass screen and works without additional accessories. Of course, if the price difference is that extreme, you are right and I will probably settle for the kindle+case solution. It would be nice though, if one could forget about leather cover + dvd case because the reader is just not so fragile, wouldn't it?

I still would like to know if there is any european distributor for the Wexler (or a comparable device) and if anyone owns one and can compare?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
http://www.klearkase.com/

If you get a kindle keyboard, the klear kase will be light weight and provide good protection.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote