Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
dteixeira
dteixeira began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
[Old Thread] Recommendation settings for pdf to epub conversion for iPad

Love the Calibre program, I have been able to successfully change existing pdf books to epub books and get them loaded onto my iPad. The only thing that I am noticing is that the text for the conversions is really small. Is there a template or general setting recommendation for best view of a pdf converted file to epub for the iPad?

Thanks,
dteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
You can set the size of the font when you convert them with base font size under look and feel. You could also rename the epub .zip and edit the stylesheet.css file in a text editor, and change the lines that say font-size: 1.0em (or similar). Higher numbers = larger font.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
dteixeira

Thanks Mr. Ploppy. I did read that. I just was hoping not to have to try a variety of settings if I could help it. I was hoping that perhaps someone with an iPad may have already found just the right settings. I will try a few and see what happens. If I find some good settings, I will post again. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Do iPads not have a zoom function then? Serious oversight if they want it to be a book and magazine reading device.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Do iPads not have a zoom function then? Serious oversight if they want it to be a book and magazine reading device.
I was thinking along the same line. Is font size adjustable on iPad itself? ePUB texts are fully reflowable, so the formatting will stay fine if you could increase the font size on your iPad.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
dteixeira

iPads do have the zoom function. For instance I can zoom using Goodreader to view the book or magazine in pdf format. In the iBook application however, I am not able to zoom. So when I convert the pdf file to an epub so that iBook will store it on its shelf, it is converted in a smaller viewable epub format. I am hoping to use Calibre to keep the document the same viewing size as it is in pdf format, or figure out a way to increase the size while its being converted from pdf to epub.

Unfortunately the font size is fine for the rest of the iPad, to increase the font size for the iPad in general would just make everything else larger.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Firepong
Firepong began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Pandigital Novel, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteixeira View Post
iPads do have the zoom function. For instance I can zoom using Goodreader to view the book or magazine in pdf format. In the iBook application however, I am not able to zoom. So when I convert the pdf file to an epub so that iBook will store it on its shelf, it is converted in a smaller viewable epub format. I am hoping to use Calibre to keep the document the same viewing size as it is in pdf format, or figure out a way to increase the size while its being converted from pdf to epub.

Unfortunately the font size is fine for the rest of the iPad, to increase the font size for the iPad in general would just make everything else larger.
The iBooks App does have a Zoom function. Just hit the Capital "aA" in the top right hand corner. When you do that hit the little "A" or the big "A" to make the text bigger/smaller.

Don't see how this could have been over-looked so easily.
Firepong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
ipadfans
ipadfans began at the beginning.

Device: hgfhg
PDF to iPad ePub Converter is a powerful iPad ePub Converter which converts your PDF to ePub file easily and quickly. Also can converts HTML, XML, TEXT, Gif, JPEG fiels into an ePub file for reading with your iPad, iPhone, Sony Reader, kindle and other eBooks Reader.

iPad Converter PDF to ePub step by step:

http://www.dvdipadconverter.org/pdf_...-software.html

ipadfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
conceptr
conceptr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can we use our own stylesheet with calibre to convert pdf to epub, If yes, How?
conceptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
kir26
kir26 began at the beginning.

Device: ipod
You can try http://go4convert.com. Seems very similar as Calibre but online.
kir26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kir26 View Post
You can try .... Seems very similar as Calibre but online.
Moderator Notice
Please do not respond to ancient threads. This thread is 2 years old, Calibre has gone 90+ version changes since this thread started and the iPad has had two complete revisions of it's own. The question in this thread no longer applies to the iPad because the PDF handling has improved greatly.

Even if you truly mean well it looks as if the only reason you responded to this thread was to spam the forum and obtain a link to a site that you are affiliated with in some manner.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-19-2012 at 01:20 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Please do not respond to ancient threads. This thread is 2 years old, Calibre has gone 90+ version changes since this thread started and the iPad has had two complete revisions of it's own. The question in this thread no longer applies to the iPad because the PDF handling has improved greatly.

Even if you truly mean well it looks as if the only reason you responded to this thread was to spam the forum and obtain a link to a site that you are affiliated with in some manner.
Actually, PDF handling on the iPad is only as good as the apps. It's nothing to do with the version of the iPad. The New iPad handles PDF no better then the iPad 1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote