Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #76
Marcela K
Marcela K began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
I might be stupid, but I can't find the password for the firmware- zip-file anywhere. Can someone help me out?
Marcela K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #77
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
You do not need the password. Just put the zip, where it should be. M92 knows the password.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #78
Marcela K
Marcela K began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
You do not need the password. Just put the zip, where it should be. M92 knows the password.
right, thanks. in the description it said to unzip it before, so there the problem came up. will try it.
Marcela K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #79
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
In general it seems these comments are pretty favorable for the M92 but nothing about the battery. The specs for it indicate a "built-in battery" so it must be that the battery is not user-replaceable.

Currently I do most of my epub reading using my first e-reader, the Bebook One, that is still satisfactory 3 years after purchase except for lack of touch screen. Several times since purchase I've needed to change its easily replaceable, cheap on ebay, standard cell phone battery.

I need a large screen pdf reader, but with the M92 it will be necessary to return to Onyx, assuming they are still in business, or scrap the reader when battery charging is no longer possible. As one who plans to keep using the M92 for a number of years, this is a definite negative.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #80
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post

I need a large screen pdf reader, but with the M92 it will be necessary to return to Onyx, assuming they are still in business, or scrap the reader when battery charging is no longer possible. As one who plans to keep using the M92 for a number of years, this is a definite negative.
This should be the smallest of your problems. With a little bit of tinkering it could be replaced. But normally batteries last prettyy long.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #81
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
GUI development

I would like to test my GUI applications on my desktop machine. This should have been done by other people on older Onyx devices. The best thing I could do was to run an application in qemu with qvfb running, but it seems that the application did not connect to qvfb.

How can you run GUI applications compiled against the Qnyx SDK on a desktop machine?
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #82
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

I think installing fonts does not work the way it's supposed to.

I tried installing the Linux Libertine fonts available at http://www.linuxlibertine.org/index.php?id=91&L=1 . I create a folder "fonts" on my M92, and put all .ttf fonts in there. Now, when I open an epub and open the fonts menu, all my fonts are displayed, but only the defaults ones actually work properly.

You can see it the following way:
+ Install the fonts above
+ Open an epub
+ Select for example the Adobe Heiti Std default font
+ Switch to Linux Libertine
+ Observe that nothing changed
+ Switch to Adobe Ming Std default font
+ Observe the new changed text
+ Switch to Linux Libertine
+ Observe that it still is Adobe Ming Std

Does anyone else encounter this problem?
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #83
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

1)
  • just copy the firmware file to your SD Card
  • Put the SD Card into your M92
  • Connet it to the charger
  • Switch off the device
  • Hold the OK (right) button pressed and switch the device on
  • Update information appears on the screen (in the status line)
  • Wait untill your device is updated (ca 10 min)
  • Dont switch off the device while updating
  • After updating the device will restart and a black start screen appears - just click the power button once.
That's it.
Is there a way to update the device without an SD-Card? Simply putting the firmware on the main memory doesn't seem to do anything...
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #84
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
I would like to test my GUI applications on my desktop machine. This should have been done by other people on older Onyx devices. The best thing I could do was to run an application in qemu with qvfb running, but it seems that the application did not connect to qvfb.

How can you run GUI applications compiled against the Qnyx SDK on a desktop machine?
Ok, I think that the right thing to do is to compile the Onyx SDK for x86. I think that is available pre-compiled only for ARM. Has anybody succeeded in compiling the SDK for x86? Compilation here fails as soon as dynamic libraries are generated...
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #85
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
Ok, I think that the right thing to do is to compile the Onyx SDK for x86. I think that is available pre-compiled only for ARM. Has anybody succeeded in compiling the SDK for x86? Compilation here fails as soon as dynamic libraries are generated...
I just got an email from john at onyx. It seems that static libraries suffice. So just to document it here:

If you want to compile and run an application on your x86 machine, download the SDK from github and run

rake build:x86:static

copy the resulting static libraries from build/x86/libs to /usr/local/lib (or any other place where your compiler/linker can find them) and then compile your application normally.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #86
alfista
alfista began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_mm View Post
I followed your instructions (which coincide with those of the user manual). I have a M92 (firmware 1.6); inside in my SD card I have a folder named dicts (tried also with Dicts, it's the same); inside a folder named dictionaryenglish containing three files:
dictionaryenglish.dict.dz
dictionaryenglish.idx
dictionaryenglish.ifo

However as I try to get a list of the dictionaries I only get the english/chinese that was already installed (and that I cannot find as a file).
TY, carlo
I have exactly the same problem. I've tried everything, various dictionaries, from various websites, on sd-card and on internal memory, no chance.
Does anyone know the solution?
@ serge_mm
Did you get the problem solved? And if so, how?
alfista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #87
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I have dictionaries in the folder dicts in internal storage of M92. Each dictionary is to be put to its own subfolder (some dictionaries have 3 files, some few more).

I have 6 dictionaries installed and no problem. I can switch beween them and use them.

PS. One thing came to my mind. On Windows is via USB accesible only part of the internal storage of M92 which is a content of one of the system folders. I do not know what is visible in Linux or if you connect M92 using some utility....

So, dicts should be placed in "folder" Internal Storage where are also notes (If you look in file manager of M92) and where you put your e-books.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #88
alfista
alfista began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Error was found!
It's very important: "dicts", and not "Dicts"
However, it works now, yeah!

Last edited by alfista; 01-30-2012 at 01:11 PM.
alfista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #89
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
just a simple question :

Should I update my M92? I have never updated since I bought it, and I remember some people had problems after the upgrade ?
thanks
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #90
Mono
Mono

Probably the best is to wait a little. According to info from Booxtor, final release of a new firmware should be available in several days (up to 2 weeks).