Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
good plan
Thanks!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I just use one color red (not counting black), to color text in most fields of a record that is a wishlist item. I haven't had need to get more complicated than that.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I'm currently working on manga, trying to get the titles and metadata entered correctly. So I'm using colors to highlight various error condition tags. For instance:
  • Authorless: books without author info within the file itself (no title page, credits, etc)
  • Error: read error when trying to open the book (file download errors which only appeared after I started viewing files)
  • Chapter Order: books with chapters out of sequence (3,1,2...)
  • Renumber Pages: books with pages out of sequence (1, 10-19, 2, 21-29, 3...) (Remember, Windows handles numbers as text within a string so "alphabetical order" differs from "numerical order")
  • Change Format: convert zip/rar archives to cbz/cbr
Coloring these tags makes it easier to see which books still need additional work. It's a kind of visual "red flag" while looking through the database.

Additionally, I use:
  • Unknown Author (crimson) which is the default input when adding a new book
  • Delete tag (orangered) for those occasions I'm almost absolutely positive I've got multiple copies of a book - but want to double check (page by page comparison) before destroying it
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Cmon, Dwanthy, Starson. You guys must use the feature. Give!
While aware that this feature existed I never felt the need to use this feature. After reading the comments in this thread maybe I'll change my mind.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Cmon, Dwanthy, Starson. You guys must use the feature. Give!
My library is large enough that I don't do a lot of scrolling through randomly, so I don't rely on this feature heavily. I mostly search specifically, so I don't use color for anything fancy.

I tag books with my initials or my wife's as a "to be read" tag. Those tags are used to color the title, with a different for color for each and a third when tagged by both of us. It's kind of a visual reminder, but the saved search does the real work.

I turn formats red if I have no EPUB, although the formats column is often turned off.

I sometimes use color as a temporary marker while working on a specific problem in the library.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #21
raynedrop
raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (7in) & Polaroid 7 tablet
HMMMM TY all of you for the different suggestions. Have been playing with ideas for organizing more on my PanDigital and Laptop so they cross ref each other and the coloring is a good way to narrow down some ideas. Yes I am dangerous with new toys lol --have to play ya know!
raynedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
For now I use color mostly in 'awards' column. Some book may have lots and lots of awards, but I keep the column narrow and color varies according to what I consider important.

For example: Hugo + Nebula - color1; Hugo or Nebula - color2; Hugo or Nebula nomination - color3; any other award - color4... In future I may hide this column and switch coloring to 'Title' or 'Author'.

I'm still in the process of deciding what columns I need, 'Awards' is only one I've given any thought to.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
I turn the title of a book violet if I have some audio/software attached (based on the tags). There aren't many of them; it's mostly the case of e.g. foreign language textbooks with extra audio CD, so it is good to know straight away there is something more than just the book.

I also color the language of a book (depending on the language). I have four colours defined for my four main languages. I don't know whether that's useful for anyone but I am a language junkie .

I'm new to Calibre so I still have to figure it out what columns and colours I need; I gonna share them when I know . This thread is really useful. But I do get a little OCDish as well .

Last edited by Joanna; 02-19-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #24
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kindle4, Nexus 7 Tablet
I know the feature exists - just cannot work out how to do it! Would love some help, please.
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifaerie View Post
I know the feature exists - just cannot work out how to do it! Would love some help, please.
Start reading from post #4 in this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a column that says if I have read a book or not. I have the title in blue for unread and normal black for read. This way I can see what I have yet to read and I can also see what I have not marked read that should be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifaerie View Post
You can play around with the feature by adding rules in Preferences > Look and Feel under the Column Coloring tab, which you can easily edit by double clicking on the rule, or delete if they don't work the way you want.

If you can give specifics about which column you want colored for what reason, then I could tell you what the rule should look like.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I am not as advanced in using the color method as others here, but I do use RED for those books within Calibre that I have read.

As soon as I put in the date under a Custom Column I created, it turns the title of the book into RED text. When I go through Calibre I know that anything RED has been READ. It has made going through Calibre a lot easier as I can filter on this as well.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #29
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I added a price column to track how much I spend on books, and I set the color light gray if the price equals zero. That way the books I paid for stand out from the freebies.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote