Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #61
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Yes Brave New World. I was worried that quote might not be enough. On the other hand I was thinking about an alternate quote that included the discussion of alphas and betas, and thought that too much of a giveaway.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yes Brave New World. I was worried that quote might not be enough. On the other hand I was thinking about an alternate quote that included the discussion of alphas and betas, and thought that too much of a giveaway.
Nice choice. I didn't remember the quote itself, but it sufficiently evoked the scene that I figured I had a good shot at making the right guess.

Here's a famous one:

"It was like saying goodbye to a statue. After a while I went out and left the hospital and walked back to the hotel in the rain."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #63
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nice choice. I didn't remember the quote itself, but it sufficiently evoked the scene that I figured I had a good shot at making the right guess.

Here's a famous one:

"It was like saying goodbye to a statue. After a while I went out and left the hospital and walked back to the hotel in the rain."
Yes the first or last lines of a novel make a good choice for this game. Anyone care to take the first guess?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #64
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Aaaaahhhhhhh! I know this one - but can't think of it (resisting urge to Google) - it's a Hemingway novel - can't remember which one - need more coffee. BRB.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #65
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
BRB?

Busy Roasting Birds?
Birds Richly Barbecued?

MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #66
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
BRB?

Busy Roasting Birds?
Birds Richly Barbecued?

Busily Reading Books!

[you fiend! Love your new avatar! Classy!]
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #67
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Busily Reading Books!

[you fiend! Love your new avatar! Classy!]
So, may I call you pooh? When I saw you had the last post, I thought you had finally finished what must have been a gallon or so of coffee and returned with the name of the book! Alas, my expectations were dashed.

So, everyone, including poohbear! You now know the author, which book? He didn't write all that many, especially if you ignore the ones he published after he was dead. Take a shot.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #68
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm going to guess "The Sun Also Rises" even though I haven't read it. It's on my required reading list for next year. Well, Maybe. There's a lot of things on that list.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #69
poohbear_nc
Now what?

"For Whom the Bell Tolls"?

[and yes - you may call me Pooh ]
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #70
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Good guesses HomeInMyShoes and poohbear_nc (or pooh). Just not A Farewell to Arms.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Keep guessing, folks, the third time's the charm!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #72
poohbear_nc
Now what?

A Farewell to Arms?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ladies and gents, we have a winner!

Step to the plate, pooh.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #74
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Yes! Finally! I've been following this thread - but never posted in time! [or correctly for that matter].

This is from one of my all-time top 10 favorite books ... If no one knows it I'll be so depressed I'll have to start reading long, depressing Russian novels!

"This is the saddest story I have ever heard."

"So long, old man, I must have a bit of a rest, you know."
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Get out of my head, pooh! This is also one of my top ten favorites. So no need to be depressed and start in on the Russians.

I'll hold back and let someone else play, since I was just up.

Last edited by issybird; 08-15-2011 at 09:26 PM.