Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
gatorfan
gatorfan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Jetbook
Why no search function?

Hello all,

I've been perusing the forums, kind of getting my "sea legs" established. I purchased an Astak EZReader a few weeks ago and I really love it.

I am very new with the eReader technology, still trying to take in all the the ways I can use my device to the best of its (and my own) capabilities.

I do have one question that has been nagging me...

Why isn't a search function standard on ANY eReader?

I carry a couple of reference books in my EZReader and a search function would prove invaluable.

Please forgive me if I've asked the easy question, and this has been asked before.

By the way, great community here, glad I found it!
gatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Text search is standard on jetBook, and I think Kindle and Sony PRS-700. There are some others around too, but I'm not sure which ones. The WIKI matrix lists some.

It's also on FBReader on my Nokia N800, and MobiPocket and eReader on my cell phone.

Last edited by wodin; 08-23-2009 at 07:46 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I think a reader of 5-6" sizes aren't really conducive to being used as a ref-doc reader. Whereas you can read the files, most ref-docs are pdf, are are generally suited to a larger-screened reader.

I can see implementing a T9 system into the reader, they way a lot of phones are. It wouldn't be too terribly hard to implement. I can't recall if OpenInkPot supports this, or if it's in plans, but I recall something about an alternate firmware might be working on it. Someone more knowledgeable could verify this though.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
gatorfan
gatorfan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Jetbook
So as per the Wiki Matrix, about half of the devices have search capability.

Is searching more of a function of the overall firmware or each individual type of format?
gatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Search (within the current ebook) isn't all that hard to implement, but you first need a way to enter the search string. So devices with a real keyboard or a touch screen (virtual keyboard) almost always have search, but it is hit and miss if not. CoolReader under Open InkPot has search, but not under the standard Hanlin firmware (which uses CoolReader for FB2). I have not used it for a while, but I think the LBook firmware for the Hanlin V3 may have search (at least for FB2).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I use search very often when I read documents in rtf format on my jetBook so I think that this feature very helpful and important.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
A search function

Dear All:

I agree a search function is a fine thing to have. It is planned for some future devices. To do it right you need at least a soft keyboard and our factories are sending us some prototypes using it.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote