Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #181
snoozer
Connoisseur
snoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation, Lenovo c330 Chromebook
Blossom thank you for the help on image size. 800x600 seems to work pretty good.
Thought I would share somewhere to get some nice looking paper textures
http://lizn.deviantart.com/art/Stain...es-I-114580078
snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #182
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Very nicely stained, thanks a lot.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #183
snoozer
Connoisseur
snoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windows

These look pretty nice too.

http://lizn.deviantart.com/art/Combo...es-6-195165433
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #184
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
Those look like they be pretty hard to read on. I'd like to find a paperback texture that is clean like the ones I own. Who reads books with stains pages. Yuk!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #185
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Who reads books with stains pages. Yuk!
Me! It's the opposite of "yuk". I find all solid-color backgrounds "yuk" -- sorry about that. Human life is a blotchy, uneven affair, and I want the look of my books to reflect that. A solid-color background is just fake, if you know what I mean. By the way, a number of very nice, "cleaner" and non-stained textures come prepackaged with Moon+ Reader Pro.

From among the first batch posted by Snoozer, no. 7, 8, 9 look best to me. See the three screenshots below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-11-20-41-46.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	484.2 KB
ID:	116548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-11-20-42-04.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	116549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-11-20-41-05.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	116550  
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #186
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Those look like they be pretty hard to read on. I'd like to find a paperback texture that is clean like the ones I own. Who reads books with stains pages. Yuk!
I agree with you....I like a plain smooth color.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #187
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Me! It's the opposite of "yuk". I find all solid-color backgrounds "yuk" -- sorry about that. Human life is a blotchy, uneven affair, and I want the look of my books to reflect that. A solid-color background is just fake, if you know what I mean. By the way, a number of very nice, "cleaner" and non-stained textures come prepackaged with Moon+ Reader Pro.

From among the first batch posted by Snoozer, no. 7, 8, 9 look best to me. See the three screenshots below.
Not a solid background I am looking a clean paperback texture you know like when first buy a book and it's clean. I use to have on that ybook use to have on it before he removed it I have it on one of many 1000s of discs somewhere!

I don't like any of the backgrounds that come with Moon+ they all too stained or unrealistic.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #188
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Red face

Agree about "unrealistic", but I love the "greasy page" theme (see screenshot below) that comes prepackaged with Moon+ Pro... I've made it my no. 1 Day Theme.

I mean, I'd hate an actual grease stain on my tablet screen, but it being a purposeful electronic decoration makes it -- to me -- delightful to look at.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-12-02-04-25.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	116566  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #189
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Agree about "unrealistic", but I love the "greasy page" theme (see screenshot below) that comes prepackaged with Moon+ Pro... I've made it my no. 1 Day Theme.

I mean, I'd hate an actual grease stain on my tablet screen, but it being a purposeful electronic decoration makes it -- to me -- delightful to look at.
It looks dirty to me if was cleaner it would be much nicer. Why does the Nexus take such dark screenshots? This is not how it looks on my screen it's a dirty creme white

It looks better on the Kindle Fire I think. It's not as washed out as the N7 it lighter than the KF screenshot posted. The dark one is from the N7 which is not how it looks on my screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stainpage.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	116567   Click image for larger version

Name:	KFstainpage.png
Views:	373
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	116568  

Last edited by Blossom; 12-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #190
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

I find Nexus 7 screenshots 100℅ faithful to reality -- not sure what may be happening on your device. I, of course, like to see a lot more text on my screen than the default Moon setup is, which may make the theme appear darker in my screenshot.

Each of us is different. To each of us, a particular theme will carry different associations. By far the best real books I've read in my life have been library books with just such "dirty" pages. Most of the books I'm really interested in are out-of-print -- they simply can't be bought, looking nice and clean. Before the invention of e-books, I spent many fruitless, frustrating years trying to hunt down this or that impossible-to-get book. And when I finally did get it, usually via inter-library loan, and which may have taken a few years for a particular title, the book typically arrived with this "dirty, greasy" look. And I was ecstatic -- it was an occasion to celebrate.

And so, you see, to me, the association I have for a "nice, clean look", is: worthless, trashy book. But if it has a "dirty", smudged-all-over look? Oh boy, that must be some quality literature!

I now avoid printed books whenever I can. But seeing that "dirty, greasy" look in Moon+ Pro gives me a sense of triumph every time, reminding me of that pleasurable sensation of a long time ago, "The book's finally here and I can read it!"
Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #191
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I find Nexus 7 screenshots 100℅ faithful to reality -- not sure what may be happening on your device. I, of course, like to see a lot more text on my screen than the default Moon setup is, which may make the theme appear darker in my screenshot.

Each of us is different. To each of us, a particular theme will carry different associations. By far the best real books I've read in my life have been library books with just such "dirty" pages. Most of the books I'm really interested in are out-of-print -- they simply can't be bought, looking nice and clean. Before the invention of e-books, I spent many fruitless, frustrating years trying to hunt down this or that impossible-to-get book. And when I finally did get it, usually via inter-library loan, and which may have taken a few years for a particular title, the book typically arrived with this "dirty, greasy" look. And I was ecstatic -- it was an occasion to celebrate.

And so, you see, to me, the association I have for a "nice, clean look", is: worthless, trashy book. But if it has a "dirty", smudged-all-over look? Oh boy, that must be some quality literature!

I now avoid printed books whenever I can. But seeing that "dirty, greasy" look in Moon+ Pro gives me a sense of triumph every time, reminding me of that pleasurable sensation of a long time ago, "The book's finally here and I can read it!"
Now see I own tons of books but they are have nice clean pages. I am very firm on keeping a book clean and don't get me started on spine creases. I read my books without hurting the spine. Books to me are sooo precious they should be treated like gold so when I see a dirty stained book it makes me upset to think how someone could mistreat a book so. I had so precious little growing up that I think if you own something you should take very good care of there is no excuse for abusing a book. (My two cents)

Here's a pic of my N7 with the theme we are discussing as you can see the colors of the screenshot are not true to the colors of the eye. It looks nothing like the screenshots colors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	truelook.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	116569  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #192
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
It looks nothing like the screenshots colors.
Well, to me it does. Not sure why that doesn't work for you. The theme definitely looks predominantly yellow to my eye (which is what I like), not predominantly white.

Quote:
Now see I own tons of books
I no longer do; I donated thousands of books to my ex-college library. I consider paper-printed books just as obsolete today as gramophone records (or CDs and DVDs, for that matter). Yeah, there are fans of gramophone records, CDs, and DVDs, and there will no doubt still be fans of paper-printed books, but it ain't me. If I have the same book available as a paper-book and an e-book, I decidedly prefer to read it as an e-book. My intended ideal is not to possess a single paper-printed book at home one day. I still need to get rid of dozens of volumes to attain that ideal, and I hope I'll be able to do that soon.

Quote:
there is no excuse for abusing a book.
To me, this was never a matter of choice. To me, it typically was, "Either get this dirty library copy of the book, or don't get to read the book at all." I invariably chose the dirty copy option, just to be able to read the book. Of course I hate dirt just like anyone would -- which is exactly why I prefer e-books over paper-printed books; it's pretty easy to keep your tablets and mobile phone reasonably clean (well, at least to the naked eye) at all times.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #193
snoozer
Connoisseur

Blossom I will keep an eye out for some clean paper images for you.
I think like everything else what works for one person another will not like. I myself I like the darker backgrounds seems to be easier on these old eyes of mine.
The screenshots Faterson posted looks great to me.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #194
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Here is another favourite dark theme of mine... it's so excellently readable it almost aches. That's the Sorts mill goudy font on what looks like a completely dark background, but it's not; there are the red blotches thrown in, essential for me to disrupt the monotony.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-12-12 10.22.13.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	116612  
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #195
snoozer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Here is another favourite dark theme of mine... it's so excellently readable it almost aches. That's the Sorts mill goudy font on what looks like a completely dark background, but it's not; there are the red blotches thrown in, essential for me to disrupt the monotony.
That is a nice one, can you send it to me or where I can grab a copy of it