Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #12076
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Lately the temperatures have been below-freezing at night/early morning and around a nice 10°C during the day.
So tonight I played safe and took my helmet on my bicycle ride. Those small Brompton wheels are already tricky on a dry weather.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #12077
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Dreary ghastly cold rainy day - 40 F & cold pelting rain.
[For which I am thankful it is not ice or snow!]

I ventured out to restock the Talisker - the clerk was thanking shoppers for braving the bad weather to shop today ....
How could we endure the inclement elements without a warming glass?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #12078
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Snow. Several inches of it due, capped off tonight by a bout of ice.

Did the shopping yesterday. Charged all the batteries. Even if the power goes out, we're set.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #12079
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Woo, hoo. Today it got into the teens ( degree F) for the first time in over a week.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #12080
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Freezing rain right now. I hope that it stays as a crust on top of the ice, and that it doesn't soak into the snow and turn it into several inches of solid ice.
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #12081
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sunny & mild (50's F) today ....

Stay warm & dry cromag - may your power lines remain intact!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #12082
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Sunny and a bit cold, but a nice change to be able to go out and not be bundled up.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #12083
cromag

High temps got to about 36 this afternoon. After getting about 6 inches of snow it turned to ice pellets and then rain, and the "snow" collapsed into about 2 inches of waterlogged, snow-covered slush. This is "heart attack" snow.

I got a path shoveled about 2/3 up our (uphill) driveway. Fortunately, long before I got a heart attack I got a jolting pain across my back. If I'm lucky it will just stay sore.

I'm in for the day.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #12084
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
High temps got to about 36 this afternoon. After getting about 6 inches of snow it turned to ice pellets and then rain, and the "snow" collapsed into about 2 inches of waterlogged, snow-covered slush. This is "heart attack" snow.

I got a path shoveled about 2/3 up our (uphill) driveway. Fortunately, long before I got a heart attack I got a jolting pain across my back. If I'm lucky it will just stay sore.

I'm in for the day.
Apply a heating pad and plenty of spirituous libations! And stay out of the driveway! I remember 'heart attack' snow quite well (used to live in Ohio). One way I avoided a fatal episode was by using a regular square end garden shovel instead of the snow shovel - it limited the weight I was trying to move.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #12085
cromag

For me, heat on the first day makes it worse. I keep a couple of cold packs in the freezer, but I didn't think I need them -- it isn't getting worse and no spasms (knock on wood!). It's just sore.

Tonight's temps should be in the teens, and not above freezing until Tuesday ... or Wednesday.

New Jersey is a small state, but the "front" seems to be right in the middle. The southern end of the state was more than 20º warmer for the high, and got much more rain (and less snow) than we did.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #12086
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Minus 22C with a windchill of -26C. The sun is shining and the temp is expected to rise to 5C with light rain by Friday.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #12087
cromag

Snowing, since the wee hours. On top of a good layer of ice.

... Which should make for a very interesting mess if temperatures rise to the fifties this weekend.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #12088
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Lots of blowing snow today. Not so bad in the 'burbs, but horrible on the freeway. Note: There is no FALLING snow. It's a beautifully clear day.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #12089
cromag

We had about 1½ inches of solid ice to start.

Today we got about 2 inches of snow on top of it, then some freezing rain, then maybe another inch of snow. Shoveling this out of the driveway will be a real bear!

But ... according to the forecast, tomorrow's high temp is supposed to be 35°, Thursday should get to 43°, Friday to 48°, Saturday to 54°, and Sunday to 63° -- with the long range forecast highs all above freezing for the next two weeks. I'm seriously trying to find some way to avoid shoveling tomorrow. (But, then, I've always been much more patient than my wife!)
Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #12090
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Yeah - we're getting a warm up now - that will move up the coast and thaw you out later this week/weekend .... going to be a warm Xmas here ...

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty