Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
chiachao
chiachao began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Pocket Pro: USB device not recognized

I got a brand new Pocket Pro this week. When I plug in the USB cable, my Windows Vista PC says "USB device not recognized". I tried another USB port, then another Windows Vista PC, and none worked.

Is this faulty device and I should return it? Or is there some simple trick I can use to fix?
chiachao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Try connecting using another USB cable (rare but could be a faulty cable).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=841910 might be of some help. It initially asks the question about Linux but does offer some good tips about USB ports and cables.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66098 might offer some more tips with Vista. There has been some discussion with the PEZ and computers using the Intel chipset, do you know if you are running an Intel chipset on your computer?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiachao View Post
I got a brand new Pocket Pro this week. When I plug in the USB cable, my Windows Vista PC says "USB device not recognized". I tried another USB port, then another Windows Vista PC, and none worked.

Is this faulty device and I should return it? Or is there some simple trick I can use to fix?
Welcome

Charge your PEz for 12 hours continuously, using the Wall charger supplied.
(You can read, familiarize yourself with the menus and features, while charging)

Solicitous provided links that discussed similar USB problems, causes and work arounds.

Read carefully, the part about Intel 82801 chips. <<---
Try them if Intel USB in your computers.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=18 added Linux into the mix, making the [I]Intel-PEz problem[/I ] a marginal compatibility issue. If it was not Marginal, there would be a high percentage of users with this problem

This thread also brought to light that there may be interactions with other attached USB (storage) devices. Try and limit your connections to Just Mouse and Keyboard for basic tests.
If all the above fails, Call Astak support Monday (be patient, I believe a goodly portion of the staff is at a trade show getting more business )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
chiachao

Thanks for the pointers to the related threads.

I also tried on a XP PC, using multiple ports, with only USB Mouse attached (no other USB devices).

And I disabled the Intel USB2 in the Device Manager.

No luck so far.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you COLD BOOT your PC after changing (disable) the setting?

I found that once the port went into fault (yellow mark in the Device manager)
I would also delete the Faulted item (with the PEz disconnected).

Only a reboot would enable the device again after a fault
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
chiachao

I disabled the USB2 from Device Manager, did a cold reboot, inserted USB cable to PC, inserted USB cable to PP.

Still "USB device not recognized" on all four USB
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You may have a bad one.
My first PEz required upwards pressure to even be seen by the computer, then it failed the USB2 thing. I got a replacement before I figured out the disable trick.
No yellow icons in the USB section of the device manager? Right?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
chiachao

I reported the problem to the astak support through email. Hopefully they will take care of this for me promptly.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
We want to help!!

Quote:
I reported the problem to the astak support through email. Hopefully they will take care of this for me promptly.
Dear chiachao:

I am almost positive you did not get a bad Pocket PRO. The computer just is not recognizing it yet. It will. I really think this is frustrating but a minor thing.

PLEASE send me a Private Message (look in the column to the left of the messages) and include your email address and full name. Let us walk you through it. I am with Astak and we are here to help!!

Without your real name I cannot find you in our system.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
chiachao

Bad USB connector, great customer service

Since I am local to Astak, Robert invited me to take the PP over to the Astak office.

When I got there, Robert and Ruby figured out in 5 minutes that there is one metal pin missing in my PP's USB connector. So they exchanged another PP on the spot.

I am happy to report, the new PP can be recognized by my PC without any problem.

My hats off to Robert and Ruby for providing such a pleasant experience.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
The pleasure was ours!!

Quote:
Since I am local to Astak, Robert invited me to take the PP over to the Astak office.

When I got there, Robert and Ruby figured out in 5 minutes that there is one metal pin missing in my PP's USB connector. So they exchanged another PP on the spot.

I am happy to report, the new PP can be recognized by my PC without any problem.

My hats off to Robert and Ruby for providing such a pleasant experience.
Dear Chia:

It was a pleasure meeting you and you are always welcome here. Ruby and I are overjoyed to get you up and reading!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Wow, nice! They really do have a great support team
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote