Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
Pocket Pro firmware update problem

So we just got our Pocket Pro and wanted to update the firmware. Went to the site, downloaded 8.rar, unzipped it and put it on the 1gb SD card. Disconnected it from the pc, turned off the reader. Turned it back on and voila - the update process begins. It goes all the way to the end and (if I recall correctly) it seems to be successful and says to press any key to reboot. (it could have been something else, but I think it was pressing a button to acknowledge that things were done).

I let it be and was doing something else and then noticed that the screen was just blinking on & off - black, then white and back again. Now that's all it's doing. It doesn't seem to matter if the SD card is in or not, or if it's connected to the computer or not. Anyone else experience this?
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
echoleaf
Connoisseur

OK - I managed to get it to turn on, but it tries to go through the firmware update process again. Without the SD card, it says the SD card is missing. With it, it goes through the firmware update process again, and at the end it beeps, says it was successful, and then says to press any key to reboot. And then it goes back to the flashing screen.

If I can find my usb card reader, I can try reformatting the SD card. If I can't find the reader, what can I try next? thanks!
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Email or phone Astak!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
OK - I managed to get it to turn on, but it tries to go through the firmware update process again. Without the SD card, it says the SD card is missing. With it, it goes through the firmware update process again, and at the end it beeps, says it was successful, and then says to press any key to reboot. And then it goes back to the flashing screen.

If I can find my usb card reader, I can try reformatting the SD card. If I can't find the reader, what can I try next? thanks!
Dear Echoleaf:

Let us help!! Sounds like something very simple. Did you read the instructions posted on our website for Firmware Upgrades?

Email: support@astak.com or call tollfree: 1-866-368-8788

Anyway... let us help you!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Hey Robert,

I downloaded the firmware and followed the instructions on that page. Can I call now?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:

I would get a copy of some other firmware, either an older one from Astak, or one from Bebook (http://mybebook.com/a11/downloads/article_info.html) just to see if it is a problem with the firmware file itself (which is what it sounds like)

If you suspect the SD card, I'd get another. Small SD cards are very cheap.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
echoleaf
Connoisseur

I can't find my card reader, so I can't try another firmware version or download another copy. Getting an SD card atm may be an issue - I'm on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica for a few months, and while the beaches are plentiful, I'm 5h away from a decent electronics store!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
You can call anytime!!

Quote:
Hey Robert,

I downloaded the firmware and followed the instructions on that page. Can I call now?
Dear echoleaf:

Call!! we will be here for another 90 minutes and all week except Friday!!

We want to help!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
try another download

With such a huge file, chances of download corruption increases. My first attempt was bad, but the second one worked.

Here's a collection of previous firmwares: http://www.kaser.com/ebooks.html

btw, if you're tempted to try his V5logos.zip, don't. There's a gui version at http://www.jinke.com.cn

Good luck.

Oh, to get thru to support, don't bother with keying the department extension. I did, and got stuck with voicemail. Just stay on the line and ask to be transferred and you'll get thru to extremely helpful people.
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
echoleaf
Connoisseur

The call was pretty simple - we got the firmware update process again, like I did before, it seemed to be successful and ... same thing. Tech wants me to send it back, I want to try finding a card reader first and try older firmware. This shipping to/from Costa Rica is a pain (so is buying books, which is why we bought this).
Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Usually when a download is corrupt, the archive won't open at all. I had no problem there - is it possible for an archive to be corrupt & still open?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Usually when a download is corrupt, the archive won't open at all. I had no problem there - is it possible for an archive to be corrupt & still open?
Not usually, but files can be corrupt when writing to any media ie: CD/DVD, memory card, USB etc.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good Luck. Keep us posted.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
echoleaf
Connoisseur

OK. I'll try to find my card reader tomorrow. Of course, we just moved and I have no idea where it is :-)
Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Seem corrupted firmware on some system files synchronization.

I got that problem when try to mix several firmwares together.
If you wait for some time it will be back to bookshelf still. Press some key it will start blinking again.

If it is so, try to redownload the firmware, any brand, then do it again to check not hardware problem.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Thanks - I would tend to agree. The likelihood of it being a real hardware problem is slim.