Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Dates in Russian (?)

Fetching a custom feed from 'The Observer' newspaper - which worked normally before - produces this interesting result in the latest version of calibre:

and
Roger Wilmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilmut View Post
Fetching a custom feed from 'The Observer' newspaper - which worked normally before - produces this interesting result in the latest version of calibre:

and
Hmm these are actually dates in Serbian (cyrillic). I wonder if that has anything to do with my latest set of recipes and use of setlocale.

Kovid?

Last edited by kiklop74; 11-23-2008 at 10:55 AM.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
Hmm these are actually dates in Serbian (cyrillic). I wonder if that has anything to do with my latest set of recipes and use of setlocale.
Serbian! I might add that I have English specified in the settings.

Last edited by Roger Wilmut; 11-23-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilmut View Post
Serbian! I might add that I have English specified in the settings.
Do you by any chance use linux or mac?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:

Kovid?
Yeah that would be it. I'm disabling the locale settings in those recipes. One way to acheive what you want is to overload the download function in the recipe, something like this:

Code:
def download(self, *args, **kwargs):
  self.timefmt = 'set this to a lcoalized string'
  return BasicNewsRecipe.download(self, *args, **kwargs)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut

Quote:
Do you by any chance use linux or mac?
Yes, a Mac (Leopard). I didn't use any recipe, just put the Observer's feeds URL in and set the number of days. A week ago it worked fine: today after the upgrade to the new version of Calibre it had the result you saw. Not a disaster as the actual text was fine.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah that would be it. I'm disabling the locale settings in those recipes. One way to acheive what you want is to overload the download function in the recipe, something like this:

Code:
def download(self, *args, **kwargs):
  self.timefmt = 'set this to a lcoalized string'
  return BasicNewsRecipe.download(self, *args, **kwargs)
That does not resolve the issue since the problem is not the format but the actual localized values of days in week and months.

I'm not that fluent with python but is there something like constructor/destructor in python class? Because if there is I would be able to modify the class to set locale on construction and revert it to the original one in destructor.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can set timefmt to the actual day and month in serbian, rather than a format string
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut

I tried this with the New York Times news feed which is already in Calibre, and got the same result: dates in Serbian. I previously tried the Observer in the prior version of Calibre, which was OK, and then in the latest version - again, dates in Serbian. Calibre is set to English. There doesn't appear to be anything I can do to alter this - is it in effect a bug which needs fixing? (I'm using Calibre on Macs with Tiger and Leopard).
Old 11-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah this will be fixed in the next release.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah this will be fixed in the next release.
Thank you (not that I have anything against the Serbs, you understand)(Serbia right )