Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #76
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i thought that at the very least, the new kindle paperwhite would be smaller in size than the existing paperwhite. the new kobo aura has a 6" screen and yet managed to be smaller than the paperwhite.
By not making a marginal change in the size of the device, it means that all those existing accessories will still work with the new device which is good for consumers, the oems making that stuff and amazon itself as it is one less barrier to an upgrade for people that were unsure.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the device is already a comfortable size for people to hold for extended durations and that is not going to definitely improve if they shrank it further.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #77
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
no epub.

no memory card slot.

no file explorer.

rubbish.

i will never buy it.
The only item that can't be changed from your list is the memory card slot one. But if the KPW2 can be jailbreaked etc like the KPW1, you can put Koreader on it, then you have a file manager and can read epubs. I just did it with mine, and I love it! The kindle was not retaining my formatting, but using Koreader, it does. (I like a space between paragraphs. I hadn't even been using my Kindle because it wasn't displaying that. Now, I can use it again.)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #78
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
By not making a marginal change in the size of the device, it means that all those existing accessories will still work with the new device which is good for consumers, the oems making that stuff and amazon itself as it is one less barrier to an upgrade for people that were unsure.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the device is already a comfortable size for people to hold for extended durations and that is not going to definitely improve if they shrank it further.
Your point is valid but this has never stopped any other hardware maker from changing the shape of their devices each generation. I don't doubt that a current Paperwhite is very comfortable to carry but I think the reduction in size is much more important than a reduction in weight. I assume an Aura will fit much more nicely in a jacket pocket than a Paperwhite will.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Your point is valid but this has never stopped any other hardware maker from changing the shape of their devices each generation. I don't doubt that a current Paperwhite is very comfortable to carry but I think the reduction in size is much more important than a reduction in weight. I assume an Aura will fit much more nicely in a jacket pocket than a Paperwhite will.
I wouldn't want the bezel to be any smaller than it is. There wouldn't be enough to easily hold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #80
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wouldn't want the bezel to be any smaller than it is. There wouldn't be enough to easily hold.
I guess it all depends on how you hold it. I keep most of my hand on the back or have it cupped in my hand so unless I'm walking around I don't tend to have too much of a grip on the bezel.
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #81
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Audible is precisely why you can expect TTS to be gone.
Of course!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #82
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

I see Kindle will have something that looks suspiciously like Reading Life achievements. What do they say about imitation and flattery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showme-freetime-2-lg.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	110386  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-04-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Oversized graphic changed to thumbnail attachment.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #83
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm guessing that Text-To-Speech is still MIA? Kind of strange if it is, as Audible was bought by Amazon and you can now sync your reading between Audible apps and Kindle apps pretty much everywhere except on the last (and maybe this) Paperwhite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Audible is precisely why you can expect TTS to be gone.
But Audible is also MIA.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #84
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I think the reduction in size is much more important than a reduction in weight. I assume an Aura will fit much more nicely in a jacket pocket than a Paperwhite will.
I completely agree with you. My Paperwhite is the biggest and heaviest of my 3 e-ink devices, therefore, the last one I want to carry around in my bag.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #85
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Last year there was a lot of hype surrounding the launch of the Paperwhite, some of which led to higher expectations than Amazon could meet, leading to a lot of complaints and returned devices.
Perhaps that's why they are keeping a lower profile with this release.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #86
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I see Kindle will have something that looks suspiciously like Reading Life achievements. What do they say about imitation and flattery?
Didn't the Audible apps have those before Reading Life? Pretty sure they did.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #87
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Until they increase the user memory to at least as large as the Kindle Keyboard I'm not interested. I've made changes to many of the titles and publication dates and downloaded books from the cloud don't have those changes. Also the cloud doesn't have the books organized into my catagories so for a large library it's very cumbersom to find the book you want or to see which is next in a series. The cloud/archive sucks so I simply never use it. I need enough space to hold all my edited and organized books.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PW holds well over 1000 typically-sized novels. That represents something like 12 years' worth of reading for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #89
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It'd be nice if it had more storage or a card slot, but for myself I've found I never end up using most of the space my current devices have built in. Perhaps if these devices handled a large number of files better I'd use more of the space.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #90
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

I see the new Paperwhite is getting a 2000 yen price increase in Japan from 7,980 to 9,980. So much for that wonderful little deal us living in Japan used to have. I suppose that's expected with the falling yen value. The Kindle was only at that price in the first place to match Kobo. I wonder if their reasoning is that they've got a strong hold on the Japanese market or because they think that the new Kobo Aura will inevitably be more expensive so they don't need to cut their margins so close.