Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I'll third "The Greatest Knight" by Chadwick.
Cool. I hope that's about Batman.

I third Shards of Honor.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #47
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third Outlander.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The 2nd Why in the world nominate the 2nd book in a series

I am out of nominations. Sorry.
Shard of Honor is BOOK ONE. Book two is Barrayar.

These two books lead into the (currently) 14 book Miles Vorkosigan series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll second Water for Elephants.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #50
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this a family friendly book club? If it is, Lolita should not be allowed. It's a book about pedophilia. That should make it ineligible. It's not really a romance as it is a book about perversions.
I read Lolita last month and it was among the best books I read last year or any year. However, it had no romance. I can think of no aspect of the book that could fall into any romance category. I highly recommend the book when we are choosing classics or literary fiction. Its literary allusions make it a joy for those of us who like that sort of thing.

I really hope that it won't win in the romance category. The very thought turns my stomach.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Nyssa, please delete the links you have for Shards of Honor and use the following link... http://www.baenebooks.com/p-85-cordelias-honor.aspx

It's only $5.00 and is available in ePub & Mobi. It is cheaper then Amazon and B&N. Also, Inkmesh is worthless as its not being kept up-to-date.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #52
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
So please, give it a third so it can be voted upon, win and we can get away from the book that shall not be mentioned in the post.

Oh and [i]Shards of Honor and the 2nd book in the series are available in a single eBook volume at BAEN for only $5.
Quote:
The 2nd Why in the world nominate the 2nd book in a series

I am out of nominations. Sorry.
Quote:
Shard of Honor is BOOK ONE. Book two is Barrayar.

These two books lead into the (currently) 14 book Miles Vorkosigan series.
Then why, pray tell, did you correct me and say that it was book 2
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Then why, pray tell, did you correct me and say that it was book 2
I corrected you because you misread what I wrote. I never once said that Shards of Honor was book two. I said and 2nd book because I was too lazy to look up the title of the 2nd book.

Oh and as for the $5 price from BAEN, it's for a single volume of books 1 & 2 where Amazon and B&N's higher price is for just the first book.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #54
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Nyssa, please delete the links you have for Shards of Honor and use the following link... http://www.baenebooks.com/p-85-cordelias-honor.aspx

It's only $5.00 and is available in ePub & Mobi. It is cheaper then Amazon and B&N. Also, Inkmesh is worthless as its not being kept up-to-date.
I replaced the Inkmesh link with the one for Bean (You're 2nd person to point out to me that Inkmesh is no longer very reliable), but I left the others.

Quote:
I corrected you because you misread what I wrote. I never once said that Shards of Honor was book two. I said and 2nd book because I was too lazy to look up the title of the 2nd book.

Oh and as for the $5 price from BAEN, it's for a single volume of books 1 & 2 where Amazon and B&N's higher price is for just the first book.
Oh, I see.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-21-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #55
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I read Lolita last month and it was among the best books I read last year or any year. However, it had no romance. I can think of no aspect of the book that could fall into any romance category. I highly recommend the book when we are choosing classics or literary fiction. Its literary allusions make it a joy for those of us who like that sort of thing.

I really hope that it won't win in the romance category. The very thought turns my stomach.
Yeah - I'm really hoping we can read this one day in the book club as I'd love to read it for the first time and discuss it with a group. However, even I was a bit shocked at this for a romance selection.

I'm not sure if WorldCat should be the authoritative resource for this kind of classification or not, but it has the following for Lolita:
  • Erotic fiction
  • Love stories
  • Fiction

I haven't read the book at all (just want to), so I'll probably vote for it anyway and I'll probably hold this classification from WorldCat up as a shield if I have to.

But if it doesn't win, I'll be equally happy to discuss it as part of another selection at another time.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Grand Muckity-Muck, please fix the places to buy Shards of Honor in the 1st post of this thread. I'd like to have just BAEN there are the other places are much more expensive to buy this from.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #57
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not your typical romance....

I'd like to nominate Stardust by Neil Gaiman. It's not a typical romance, but it is on my "to read" list. Here's a description from Goodreads (where it carries quite a good rating as well):

"Hopelessly crossed in love, a boy of half-fairy parentage leaves his mundane Victorian-English village on a quest for a fallen star in the magical realm. The star proves to be an attractive woman with a hot temper, who plunges with our hero into adventures featuring witches, the lion and the unicorn, plotting elf-lords, ships that sail the sky, magical transformations, curses whose effects rebound, binding conditions with hidden loopholes and all the rest."

Available as an ebook at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Overdrive.

Edit: I'll 3rd Water for Elephants...also on my TBR list.

Last edited by Bookatarian; 01-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Yeah - I'm really hoping we can read this one day in the book club as I'd love to read it for the first time and discuss it with a group. However, even I was a bit shocked at this for a romance selection.

I'm not sure if WorldCat should be the authoritative resource for this kind of classification or not, but it has the following for Lolita:
  • Erotic fiction
  • Love stories
  • Fiction

I haven't read the book at all (just want to), so I'll probably vote for it anyway and I'll probably hold this classification from WorldCat up as a shield if I have to.

But if it doesn't win, I'll be equally happy to discuss it as part of another selection at another time.
And Shards of Honor seems like a stretch for Romance. It is listed as Science Fiction, War Stories on World Cat, and on Ficitiodb, it is listed as Speculative Fiction, Space Opera.

Whatever happened to a simple bodice ripper?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #59
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Lolita is one of the most important novels of the 20th century.

I am aware that this book might be controversial in the United States. But have a look at the german or french Wikipedia entry:
  • Der Roman, der zu den bedeutendsten des 20. Jahrhunderts gehört..
  • Der hebephile Ich-Erzähler Humbert Humbert..
  • Un narrateur qui se définit comme nympholepte..
  • Il est souvent cité comme l'une des œuvres les plus marquantes du XXe siècle..
People in Europe see such things different. It's a masterpiece of art, nothing more. You can find it in every public library, kids read it.
It's not so much just the US and Europe seeing things differently. It was banned in Canada in 1958. It has since been lifted. It was also banned in France, the United Kingdom, Argentina and New Zealand. I think all the bans have been lifted, but it is not just the US that deemed it controversial. I am of split minds on it. I haven't read it and I had put it on my to read list, but I've taken it off again.

@John F: I might read the romance selection if it was a simple bodice ripper.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

@John F: I might read the romance selection if it was a simple bodice ripper.
My post was a little tongue-in-cheek, but I would like to see a bodice ripper win once (as I've never read one).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote