Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Libraries Can’t Buy Many of Amazon’s Ebook Hits

Quote:
... Happy New Year! But it’s not so happy for libraries and ebooks. As the first pricing comparison of 2013 shows, fully half of Amazon's top 20 bestsellers are not available from either OverDrive or 3M. Of those that are, none of them is available to us at the consumer price. Some of them cost over 5 times as much. ...
Full article here , found via Teleread

Unless I misunderstood the article, it sounds like it is Amazon's fault that so many of the latest additions to my library sites are only offered in ePub. Don't they realize that this may influence device buying decisions in the future?!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's absolutely nothing to do with Amazon. It's the publisher who decides whether or not to make a book available to Overdrive or 3M.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Unless I misunderstood the article, it sounds like it is Amazon's fault that so many of the latest additions to my library sites are only offered in ePub. Don't they realize that this may influence device buying decisions in the future?!
Four of the big six publishers refuse to sell ebooks to libraries and the two that do sell to libraries either charge very high licensing fees or restrict lending (after 26 loans the ebook must be repurchased). This has nothing to do with Amazon who are only mentioned in reference to a bestseller list. Would you think the New York Times was to blame if the article had referenced their bestseller list instead?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The way to maybe get Penguin back with Overdrive is for Overdrive to honor their contract(s) and dump partnership with Amazon and remove all Kindle eBooks.

Overdrive is violating the terms and conditions that Overdrive is to be serving the eBooks using their DRM servers. Kindle eBooks violate this as Amazon's servers are now in use to serve Kindle eBooks.

Personally, I'd rather have access to new Penguin eBooks then Kindle eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way to maybe get Penguin back with Overdrive is for Overdrive to honor their contract(s) and dump partnership with Amazon and remove all Kindle eBooks.
I doubt it. This is the same Penguin which has knowingly absorbed and run vanity press scams in the last few years. Just have a look at Book Country.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I'd rather have access to new Penguin eBooks then Kindle eBooks.
Given the fact that you make your dislike for Amazon evident in virtually every post you make at MR, this does not fill me with astonishment.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's absolutely nothing to do with Amazon. It's the publisher who decides whether or not to make a book available to Overdrive or 3M.
Say I'm a self-publisher with a Kindle bestseller... Can I just ask Overdrive to make my book available to libraries or is the process more cumbersome?
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Given the fact that you make your dislike for Amazon evident in virtually every post you make at MR, this does not fill me with astonishment.
Agreed. JSWolf has quite the crusade going against all things Amazon.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Yes.
Also, libraries dependence on Overdrive, 3M, and other intermediaries is part of the problem.
Some (few) libraries are starting to actually buy ebooks, like from Smashwords:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...es/#more-45165

Sooner or later libraries are going to have to realize there are better ways to spend their limited funds than to rent BPH "bestsellers" at $80 a year. Especially when they are missing out on a lot of quality reads from small and indie publishers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
Say I'm a self-publisher with a Kindle bestseller... Can I just ask Overdrive to make my book available to libraries or is the process more cumbersome?
I'm afraid I've no idea. Perhaps you could contact Overdrive and ask them?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
You have to apply to be a publisher with them (there are "publishers" that publish titles from only one author). I don't know what the exact process it is, nor how hard it is. This earlier thread has a very small amount of info...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139872
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I'm wondering if someone could fill in a few blanks for me. The publishers and Overdrive and 3M have some sort of deals about the published works, but how does Amazon figure into this? Does Amazon, because its format is proprietary (I'm assuming), have licensing agreements with the publishers only, with Overdrive and 3M only, or with all parties involved?

It seems to me that because the works belong to the publishers and because Amazon's format belongs to Amazon you would need to have some sort of agreement all around. It also seems like it could get complicated.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
It also seems like it could get complicated.
Common-sense-making prohibitively so.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
I'm wondering if someone could fill in a few blanks for me. The publishers and Overdrive and 3M have some sort of deals about the published works, but how does Amazon figure into this? Does Amazon, because its format is proprietary (I'm assuming), have licensing agreements with the publishers only, with Overdrive and 3M only, or with all parties involved?

It seems to me that because the works belong to the publishers and because Amazon's format belongs to Amazon you would need to have some sort of agreement all around. It also seems like it could get complicated.
Overdrive has deals with the publishers to sell (or lease) licenses to (a very limited selection of) ebooks to libraries. For ePub, they also host servers that serve out DRM'ed files when a library user checks out an ebook license via an ADEPT-compatible reader or app.

They have a side-deal with Amazon where Amazon effectively subcontracts with Overdrive to deliver kindle-format files when a library user checks out an ebook license via a Kindle reader or app. (I'm not sure if any money actually changes hands or in which direction.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Thanks, fjtorres.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote