Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
RoyDest
RoyDest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Rooted Nook Glow, the student solution?

Hello everyone.

I'm a student and I found a lot of mandatory reading material thrown in my way, plus some laws and textbooks. I can mostly find these online, but in various formats. So I need to cram them quickly into my reader, converting and fixing them is such a hassle. Which made me think. I plan to study several more years and it's probably not going to get easier. Might as well buy a more suitable reader, once I'm sure I can afford it. Mom would surely like my old Kindle.

Currently I have a jailbroken Kindle 3. I love it and use it almost every day, but there are things I want to avoid:
- horrendous file/folder/library management system
- few recognized formats on default reader
- CoolReader knows more formats, but it doesn't read lit and can't reliably search for text phrases (like "§ 5" for example)
- Duokan can't do landscape mode! (I read 99% of time in landscape)
- the one button for page turn got a little wriggly and less responsive. Now I try to use the other one, but it's just not as reachable.

What do I need?
- Support of all possible formats (doc, docx, html, etc.) and reader software, searchable text.
- Landscape mode.
- Simple file and folder management like in Duokan. If possible, not icons like desktop, not any huge graphical book shelves and not the stupid Kindle libraries. (any file manager android app?)
- Built-in light.

I was convinced that Kidle Paperwhite is the best thing ever (most of my books are mobi), but I suppose its file library still sucks and it still supports almost no formats.
I can put up with a slightly worse infrared touchscreen and with a worse built-in light than Paperwhite. I don't believe the readability can be worse than the built-in lamp case that I bought with my Kindle 3 and the makeshift ragged plastic packaging foil that I slapped on the display for protection. I also read on my bed with a plexi-glass shelf above my eyes, with a book or a reader on it. Which is why I need to turn pages with buttons, not touchscreen anyway.

The question is, will a rooted Nook Glow suffice my needs? Will it stay in landscape mode forever, (both apps and desktop) if I set it so? Are there any working apps on Nook to read doc/docx? What about the browser, if I put there the Opera Mini app, does it support multiple windows/tabs and Gmail? What about the no refresh app, is there still a need to switch it on every time I change an application?

Looks like I need a flexible, customizable e-ink tablet - I love reading fiction, but as a student there'll be also a flux of documents, downloading, browsing and searching. I guess Kindle Paperwhite will never come close to my studenty needs, it's not so open to rooting and open-source apps. It has some sweet features, but that's good for fiction. With rooted NG I should have both reading fun and a serious work with documents, is that right? Or is there some alternative? I don't know almost anything about other major brands.

Last edited by RoyDest; 10-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.
RoyDest is offline   Reply With Quote