Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
pimpoum
Enthusiast
pimpoum began at the beginning.

Device: none
search and replace with incremental number

Hi,

I'm looking for a software (a free one if possible) that can search through a html file and replace the replacement string with an incremental number.

I've looked around a bit but can't find it. Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks a lot
pimpoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
vim can: http://imhotep.koalabs.org/?p=121
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
pimpoum
Enthusiast
pimpoum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey, thanks for replying,

I had already found the webpage you're talking about but I don't have a clue as to how to use this with vim.

I downloaded vim (for windows), got a GUI to open but that's it. Where should i put this?

thanks
pimpoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't know, I've never used it with a GUI, always in a text console. You better get a tutorial on vim, because it's not like notepad... While in command (not edit) mode, you write ":let i=1|etc.", without the quotes (note the colon).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do you have Perl installed? If not you can install Strawberry perl.

Copy the following code to a file called "bump_number.pl".

Then you can convert the string to a increasing number like this:

Open a Command window (Start->Run->"cmd")

type my_page.html | perl bump_number.pl > my_page_2.html

The new file "my_page_2.html" will have your string replaced with a number that increases from 1.

WARNING: This code assumes your target string only appears 1 time per row. In the example below the word "Buick" appeared twice on the same row and both strings were given the same number.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# Perl script that will:
# - Read each row from standard input
# - Look for a sub-string and replace it with a number
# - Bump the nunber
# - Write each row out to standard output.
#
# Example:
# If your input file is my_page.html you do this:
#       type my_page.html | perl bump_number.pl > my_page_2.html
#
my $lTargetString = 'Buick';
my $lNumber = 1;
my $lRow;

while ( $lRow = <STDIN> ) {
        chomp ($lRow);
        if ( index ( $lRow, $lTargetString ) > -1 ) {
                $lRow =~ s/$lTargetString/$lNumber/g;