Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
iPad2: same price as old and now thinner and more powerful

Wow!

The tablet market and competition is getting wild now! As per Engadget, Apple will keep prices the same.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Note that the iPad 1's are now available at lower prices both in the US & the UK - US$349 is the new low end, I believe...

16GB Wifi iPad 1
US: Refurbished $349, Clearance $399
UK: Refurb £379, Retail £329

Last edited by gwynevans; 03-02-2011 at 03:49 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Going to be real tough to beat the iPad on features alone considering the price. When you add the muturity of the ecosystem (over 65,000 apps, 200 million credit card backed iTunes accounts, etc.) then nothing is going to come close this year.

I've enjoyed my $499 wifi only iPad, and am hoping to get the company I work for to get me an iPad 2 (I actually use my iPad for my job so this shouldn't be a stretch).

If not, I'd certainly sell my iPad for $300 and pay the $200 extra to get the new one.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
dropping the price of the iPad 1 is great for users like myself who dont require much
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I was anticipating a re-vamped user interface. YAWN.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Thinner? It's just as thin as an kindle3. 0,34"!! And that was THE thinnest device i have in this house.

And scion, software can always be updated later. Especially with the firepower they have now, but the older devices needs to be running smoothly too. A new iOS revamp should come when iPad 3 is out and ipad1 is not being supported anymore
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
And scion, software can always be updated later. Especially with the firepower they have now, but the older devices needs to be running smoothly too. A new iOS revamp should come when iPad 3 is out and ipad1 is not being supported anymore
It looks so 2007-like. The user interface is dated. Reminds me of my 1st generation iPod Touch. I guess if they changed the interface I wouldn't liken it to an oversized Touch.

Can't they make the interface unique to each device (iPhone, iPod, iPad)? There's no real distinction.

Last edited by SCION; 03-02-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
ant idea if this one will do flash? If not I will stick with my Samsung Galexy....
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Who cares for the interface. 99,9% of the time you spend on the iPad will be inside an app.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Who cares for the interface. 99,9% of the time you spend on the iPad will be inside an app.
Alright...

Now it's not about the interface. O.K. Moving on...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
ant idea if this one will do flash? If not I will stick with my Samsung Galexy....
No!

And I would not expect that any time soon.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The iPad2 is some sexy hardware. But with the way Apple's manhandled the ebook market I just can't see buying one. It's too bad, such great looking hardware tied to a company like Apple.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Xoom is looking better to me personally.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Maybe if they made a 7" model with the same resolution, but it is still too big and too toy-like as far as apps go. There are many devices out now with 7" screens that have about the same resolution as the iPad, except in widescreen rather than 4:3 ratio. I played around with an iPad 1 at Best Buy a while back and the space around the pixels is very noticeable to me, and that means it would bother my eyes after a short while. My nookcolor has a much better screen, but it suffers from the same general problem as the iOS--only a toy OS. Android and iOS are good if you like games or videos, but they are not as useful as MacOS or Windows, and they never will be. They are both merely smartphone OSes. No sale for me!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I tried the Nook Color last week. It's got a great 7" screen. Books look okay, though I didn't think much of the B&N reader app. When I took a look at the sample National Geographic I realized that a 7" screen is too small for me for something like magazines. I had to hold the NC up to my face to read the smaller print. If I ever get an Android tablet it'll have to be a 10"er like the iPad.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote