Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your level of fitness?
I work out almost eveyrday and consider myself "in-shape." 15 18.07%
I work out a few times a week. 28 33.73%
I don't work out but feel pretty "in-shape" 10 12.05%
Working out? Surely you jest. 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #76
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I don't have time in my life to spend (waste) working out. I keep active in my daily life instead.

I commute to work on foot, roughly a mile and I walk briskly. I walk home for lunch so I roll up 4 miles of power walking a day. I'm a signmaker so there's some minor physical work involved there. I'm 6', 165lbs and I'm fast approaching 60 (in Aug) without much of a spare tire. It helps that I'm a (mostly) vegetarian and avoid junk foods.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #77
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I don't have time in my life to spend (waste) working out. I keep active in my daily life instead.

I commute to work on foot, roughly a mile and I walk briskly. I walk home for lunch so I roll up 4 miles of power walking a day. I'm a signmaker so there's some minor physical work involved there. I'm 6', 165lbs and I'm fast approaching 60 (in Aug) without much of a spare tire. It helps that I'm a (mostly) vegetarian and avoid junk foods.
Its not a waste of time to those of us who dont have the option of walking to work

I work 9-10 hours a day, and corporate law doesn't really afford me alot of time to go out for walks, though I think its great that you can.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #78
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I used to spend 6 hours a week at squash (like racquet ball for those in the US ), it was intense, it burned up a lot of energy and I loved it... but then the courts were closed down and there was nothing else in the town that I had the same passion for (been doing it since I was 13). Within 6 months I had popped up a size and my mind started crashing on me due to anxiety disorder. 18 months later I've got chronic health issues related to persistent stress/anxiety and the spiral gets steeper.

Never in my life have I been this bad (I'm in my late 30's) and to be honest I'm downright scared of what my 40's will be like. I'm not "fat" yet but I am sporting a bit of a spare tyre around the waist and I know that there's (excess) fat building up around my organs. It feels -wretched- to not be active like I used to be - I want to get back but the drive has been sapped out of me.

Paul.
I played squash almost every day on campus in graduate school. After I graduated and moved, I realized how few squash courts there are in the U.S. I tried tennis but kept destroying my wrists and forearms because I would occasionally instinctively hit the ball like it was squash. I needed something intense so I eventually just started running. That worked extremely well for me until I got lazy altogether but I have recently picked it up again (well, actually an elliptical machine which is quite similar).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #79
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
The other day little daughter, that is learning to take pictures, took a shot of me. Not from the front, from the side, while I was sitting at the desk, on the computer. That was Friday evening. Saturday I went to the swimming pool and went for 1km without stops. The same yesterday morning. To day Wife said no, let the body rest a while. Tomorrow is closed. I'll go Thursday, than Saturday again. And so on until not only the belt, the mirror, the jackets, but also a sudden side shot will show that i am not a disgrace to my eyes anymore. Whow. After a little bit of this, I will be able to go everyday. No more than 1 km as it is the most boring exercise of all.

Last edited by beppe; 02-15-2011 at 04:17 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #80
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I(well, actually an elliptical machine which is quite similar).
I thought about that. So I called a dear friend of mine, that works in the cardiac something up there in Montreal and solicited her advise. She told me that 9 out of 10 of her patients that get that machine (that they advise to) do not use it after a little while. Eventually they resort to a trainer to oblige them to do it. She knows me quite well. She told me: get in shape by your own and than we'll talk again about an elliptical machine.

Let's see for how long I can keep it up with the swimming.

Last edited by beppe; 02-15-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #81
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I thought about that. So I called a dear friend of mine, that works in the cardiac something up there in Montreal and solicited her advise. She told me that 9 out of 10 of her patients that get that machine (that they advise to) do not use it after a little while. Eventually they resort to a trainer to oblige them to do it. She knows me quite well. She told me: get in shape by your own and than we'll talk again about an elliptical machine.

When I bought my StairMaster a friend of mine, from the gym, thought, for sure, that I wouldn't use it at home. Statistically, that is normally true. A few months went by and he asked me how often I had used it. I told him, "Every day."

I think the difference with me is that I was already using the StairMaster, every day, in the gym. The only difference now is that I didn't have to get dressed and leave the house. So my advice has always been to buy the exact machine that you use at the gym. Sure, it's more expensive than a home model, but better to spend $3500, than to throw away $1000 on a coat rack. I bought it 17 years ago, and it is still the single best purchase I've ever made.

BTW, as I type this, I'm sitting here in sweaty clothes, from recently getting off of the StairMonster. Time for a shower and dinner!

Last edited by SolRaven; 02-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #82
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Its not a waste of time to those of us who dont have the option of walking to work

I work 9-10 hours a day, and corporate law doesn't really afford me alot of time to go out for walks, though I think its great that you can.
Same for me! I just sit at a desk for 8 hours straight. I do walk to and from the bus stop to work, which is about 1 kilometer. But other than that: no chance of any exercise during the day. So I'm actually relieved when I can go running when I get home. It's anything but a waste of time for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post

I think most people get a machine for the wrong reasons. Because they want to lose weight, not because to love exercise. If you can't motivate yourself to exercise, you can't motivate yourself to use the machine.

I bought my treadmill two years ago, and I use it almost every day in the winter. In spring and summer I'd rather run outside, but I'll use the treadmill if it's already dark outside or if I don't have enough time to bike to the park first.

Keep it up Beppe ! Swimming is a really good way to get into shape! It's also lots of fun as well
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #83
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
I think most people get a machine for the wrong reasons. Because they want to lose weight, not because to love exercise.
One of my biggest motivators to getting a workout in, is reading. Sometimes my mind starts wandering while I'm reading. It will seem as if I can't get past a paragraph. If I work out for a little at 15 minutes, it completely tunes my focus and comprehension. So I just tell myself that I can try to read that chapter in the next 5 hours, or workout for 30 min., then read it in 2.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #84
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
One of my biggest motivators to getting a workout in, is reading. Sometimes my mind starts wandering while I'm reading. It will seem as if I can't get past a paragraph. If I work out for a little at 15 minutes, it completely tunes my focus and comprehension. So I just tell myself that I can try to read that chapter in the next 5 hours, or workout for 30 min., then read it in 2.
That's what I used to do during examens! If I couldn't focus enough to study, I just went for a 30 minute run. When I came back, my mind was completely refreshed. So I see what you mean
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #85
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I'm in great shape!

I mean, round is shape, right?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #86
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
SNIP! So I'm actually relieved when I can go running when I get home. It's anything but a waste of time for me.
SNIP!
I could not agree more. I usually feel alot more tired and lethargic if I don't work out rather than if I do. Sitting at a desk for 10 hours is alot more draining than a full workout (even an extremely hard one like P90X).

Quote:
Keep it up Beppe ! Swimming is a really good way to get into shape! It's also lots of fun as well
I second this - half the battle is getting motivated to do anything in terms of fitness. Now you just have to find your groove. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #87
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
That's what I used to do during examens! If I couldn't focus enough to study, I just went for a 30 minute run. When I came back, my mind was completely refreshed. So I see what you mean
I've always known this to be true, but didn't know exactly why till I started reading Spark by John J. Ratey. If you get a chance, d/l the Kindle sample. That was the first Kindle sample that made me click "Buy" when I got to the end of it.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #88
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

I went to swim this morning and did my 1k without stopping and without problems. I checked my watch only once, after 10 min, when I felt the desire of it, and kept my mind empty all the time (at least I tried to) not to get bored. It is so boring. I have to learn to do it sleeping.

I would like to be able to do it perfectly, without looking the watch and stopping exactly after half an hour, which is what i measure, not the distance, but I know from old that with that pace I make 1 km in about 25 30 min.

My problem is that I breath only from the right side, so I cannot go too fast as I am always a little shallow of breath. I also use a nose plug that makes expiring and a bit inspiring less effective. I have never inspired by the nose anyhow. To recover, I turn, rising a little over the water, instead of the plunge and turn, to get one real deep inspiration, at least then. And I do not push against the wall, not too much anyway.

I had to take off my wedding ring that is too lose for comfort and made me close a little my left hand. The movement was easier without the ring. Wife was a little crossed by me taking it off, but I promised to put it back after, which I did. Ah, the details. Anyhow, I'll stick to one k for session and maybe move to 4 sessions a week. They could be Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat, or Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat. I do not feel any pain, except i am a little sore in the feet, of all the places, right on top, in front. I can finish with a sustained long sprint without effort. I might try to alternate one fast lap with slower ones if I have to recover the internal rhythms, with the aim of getting to a faster sustainable pace. I did not need anything after the exercise, neither to drink nor to eat. Must be all the fish that I am eating.

I would like to be able to swim well and hard in a month time. Then I will really benefit from it. I am sure that i could profit from a trainer. That has be me though. That's the weak link of the whole project.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I tried going to a gym, but found it to be utterly boring. I get my exercise by going out for walks in the countryside every weekend. Fresh air and exercise - for better (for me) than a gym.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #90
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I tried going to a gym, but found it to be utterly boring. I get my exercise by going out for walks in the countryside every weekend. Fresh air and exercise - for better (for me) than a gym.
I think i'd go mad if my only exercise was limited to two days of the week. Though I detest gyms as well. My partner and I workout together for an hour or so every evening.