Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My K4B looks near white without a light shining on it.
I'm jealous! Imagine what it would look like with a light!

My latest theory: Amazon used prime eInk screens for the K4B since it doesn't have a light, and they used much lesser quality screens (though with better resolution) for the PW because it does have a light. W/o light on my PW screen looks as brown as my Touch, and the Touch looks dark!

Alternate theory: The 758x1024 eInk screens are in the first generation or so and thus have not reached the level of quality as the screens used in the K4B.

What I am reasonably sure of is that Amazon did not use a specially designed eInk screen with the PW. That is simply marketing BS. They obviously used some off-the-shelf, ho-hum screens. They are relying on the light to make them look terrific, which of course it does not. Better than the Touch and the Nook Glowlight, but not the promised white background.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm jealous! Imagine what it would look like with a light!

My latest theory: Amazon used prime eInk screens for the K4B since it doesn't have a light, and they used much lesser quality screens (though with better resolution) for the PW because it does have a light. W/o light on my PW screen looks as brown as my Touch, and the Touch looks dark!

Alternate theory: The 758x1024 eInk screens are in the first generation or so and thus have not reached the level of quality as the screens used in the K4B.

What I am reasonably sure of is that Amazon did not use a specially designed eInk screen with the PW. That is simply marketing BS. They obviously used some off-the-shelf, ho-hum screens. They are relying on the light to make them look terrific, which of course it does not. Better than the Touch and the Nook Glowlight, but not the promised white background.
My theory is the people who made the Earlier K3s are now manufacturing the K4B. The people who did the K4S is now manufacturing the PW.

I use my booklight once to read in the dark already. It looked completely white. I'm going to get a second K4B for backup just in case quality ever goes down. It's just that great of a reader.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My theory is the people who made the Earlier K3s are now manufacturing the K4B. The people who did the K4S is now manufacturing the PW.
Is there a place I can go to find out what models you guys mean with the acronyms? I'm actually pretty new to Amazon e-readers--a year ago I bought what I think is now called a Kindle 3 or Kindle Keyboard (the cheap one with SO), just before the late 2011 models came out. But it worked fine and I never looked into the 4th gen ones, or anything else until PW was announced. I'm able to figure out some of what the later acronyms mean, but not K4B or K4S. (I suppose I want to figure out my other options if I call it quits on the PW.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
TD - The K4B (kindle 4 black) is the newest basic kindle model. The K4S is the previous basic model that's silver.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Is there a place I can go to find out what models you guys mean with the acronyms? I'm actually pretty new to Amazon e-readers--a year ago I bought what I think is now called a Kindle 3 or Kindle Keyboard (the cheap one with SO), just before the late 2011 models came out. But it worked fine and I never looked into the 4th gen ones, or anything else until PW was announced. I'm able to figure out some of what the later acronyms mean, but not K4B or K4S. (I suppose I want to figure out my other options if I call it quits on the PW.)
K4B = $69 Kindle Black version (2012)
K4S = $79 Kindle Silver Version (2011)

The silver version had quality control issues. There was some good ones out there but alot of us got one with poor contrast and a really grey screen.

The black version seems to have fixed these issues. The screen is lighter, more a creme off white color and the text is black not dark grey or almost black. For $69 it's the best eReader on the market for that price.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #36
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Oh, interesting. Both of those two are sans keyboard, right? (Thanks!)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #38
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
TD - The K4B (kindle 4 black) is the newest basic kindle model. The K4S is the previous basic model that's silver.
I'm not new to Kindles and I did not pick up the meaning of the "B" and "S." Thanks.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #39
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'm not new to Kindles and I did not pick up the meaning of the "B" and "S." Thanks.
It took me a bit to figure it out too!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah that's the only drawback. The on screen keyboard is not the best for writing out long notes but it's doable for doing searches and short notes.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Sorry, we just make these acronyms up and some of them become the standard on the forum. This is a list of them:
  • K1, first gen Kindle
  • K2, 2nd gen
  • K3 or KK, 3rd gen Kindle with Keyboard
  • K4 or K4S or K4B, 4th gen, K4S is silver and was sold 2011-2012, K4B is black and is currently being sold
  • K5 or KT, 4th gen, Kindle Touch
  • KPW or PW, 5th gen, Kindle Paperwhite
  • K6 or KF, 1st gen Kindle Fire

The K + # scheme is used quite often by the dev types because it refers to the firmware number associated with the particular model. Two Kindles use FW 4.x.x (K4S and K4B) and now two use 5.x.x (Touch and Paperwhite). I've got no idea what FW is on the newer Fire models.

By the way, we use our made up acronyms because Amazon used to like to call the current Kindle simply "Kindle" and after the first generation that became confusing, so we devised these acronyms to let each other know exactly which model we were talking about.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Sorry, we just make these acronyms up and some of them become the standard on the forum. This is a list of them:

I've got no idea what FW is on the newer Fire models.

By the way, we use our made up acronyms because Amazon used to like to call the current Kindle simply "Kindle" and after the first generation that became confusing, so we devised these acronyms to let each other know exactly which model we were talking about.
K7 is the KFHD 7". The firmware is v7.
K10 is the KFv2 Firmware is v10.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #43
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
  • K1, first gen Kindle
  • K2, 2nd gen
  • K3 or KK, 3rd gen Kindle with Keyboard
  • K4 or K4S or K4B, 4th gen, K4S is silver and was sold 2011-2012, K4B is black and is currently being sold
  • K5 or KT, 4th gen, Kindle Touch
  • KPW or PW, 5th gen, Kindle Paperwhite
  • K6 or KF, 1st gen Kindle Fire

The K + # scheme is used quite often by the dev types because it refers to the firmware number associated with the particular model. Two Kindles use FW 4.x.x (K4S and K4B) and now two use 5.x.x (Touch and Paperwhite). I've got no idea what FW is on the newer Fire models.

yeah, we are funny folks like that. we also are working on a textbook, and there will be a final test in june

Seriously, the K4, that existed in silver and is now in black (are you following?), can also be called K4NT for Non Touch.

Now Blossom there, who is our expert es-K4, will be very adamant you get the K4B and make sure you do not fall in the trap of getting the K4S, which was originally created by Moriarty and we all know how that ended...... The K4B is better.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
yeah, we are funny folks like that. we also are working on a textbook, and there will be a final test in june

Seriously, the K4, that existed in silver and is now in black (are you following?), can also be called K4NT for Non Touch.

Now Blossom there, who is our expert es-K4, will be very adamant you get the K4B and make sure you do not fall in the trap of getting the K4S, which was originally created by Moriarty and we all know how that ended...... The K4B is better.
I am told if you go to a B&M store to get one they will only have the Silver out. You have to push to get a Black version which is in the back. Same price too.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #45
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Don't forget those Kobo people who keep confusing us by posting threads with KT in the title, requiring us to look at the forum that it was posted it to figure out which KT we're talking about!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote