Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
chary
chary began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
ibooks: 'Removed from sale' when uploading children's books

Hi

I have tried uploading my children's books to ibookstore several times, all to no avail. It keeps saying "removed from sale." Has anyone had that problem lately?

I am willing to seek help from an aggregator if they would just edit my epubs to make it acceptable by Apple. Their terms require me to share royalties etc which I am not willing to do. I just want someone to edit my epubs. BTW, they all pass validation.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a freelancer or an aggregator? I know Apple says that one can get an aggregator to edit the epub for as low as $ 5 an epub. Now the questions is: who and where are they?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have been trying to upload this book for over a month, and support at ibookstoer is virtually non-existent.

Thanks
chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Are there ads for other books inside the book with prices on them or links to download them? I believe these are the principle reasons a book will be removed from the site.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
chary

No there are no ads. On the last page is a listing of other books in the series, but they are not "hot linked" or have urls.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chary View Post
No there are no ads. On the last page is a listing of other books in the series, but they are not "hot linked" or have urls.
Do they have prices? I believe this will cause a rejection.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
chary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Do they have prices? I believe this will cause a rejection.
No there are no prices either. But they do have currency amounts in it that explain how savings accounts work.
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No there are no prices either. But they do have currency amounts in it that explain how savings accounts work.
I am no expert but you might try a little trial and error to figure out what they will accept. and then report back.

Dale
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
chary

I have tried over 90 times and am at a loss...The strange fact is that the English version of that book was accepted without any problems but the French version is giving problems!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have tried over 90 times and am at a loss...The strange fact is that the English version of that book was accepted without any problems but the French version is giving problems!
That is interesting. There is likely some French word that is similar to an English word they don't like I would guess. I have no clue how to proceed based on this new information. I take it you can't get any response from Apple.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I'd like to see Apple produce an aggregator that will edit an epub for $5.00 and not charge a percentage of sales. That's a laughable claim.

If your children's books are a) fixed-format, image-only (so, for example, you had a bunch of jpegs and put them one after another in an epub), Apple will reject it; b) if you have the WORD Kindle or Nook in your book, Apple will reject it; c) if you have a bookcredit line, or a link to a publisher or your own author page, Apple will reject it...OR, here's my favorite: if Apple just does not think your book is "good enough," or high-quality enough for its iBookstore--in other words, they just don't LIKE it, they'll reject it, time after time after time, until they wear you down. I'm not saying that's what is going on with you; but I have a client who persists in doing his own cover design, and at the end of the day, the books look crappy. Apple came up with a *list* of ridiculous excuses, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that his book is just not good enough-LOOKING, that his table images weren't "cool" enough and his cover just didn't cut it in Apple's iBookstore...so I told him to blow off the Aggregator (who was getting $50/pop intake fee plus 5% of sales) and just sell his epubs on Nook and Goog.

I realize that with kids' books it's a whole other thing...but I have stopped taking children's books precisely because they aren't selling well enough, even on iBooks, to warrant what I have to charge to make them to Apple's new fixed-layout specifications. I know no childrens' book author wants to hear that...but Apple is such a tiny, tiny, TINY percentage of ebook sales that I don't feel right taking childrens' books authors' money. I can, if you want to PM me, refer you to someone who does do fixed-layout children's books by preference; but I do not know what he charges.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote