Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Sigil-created code not honored by Sony PRS-350 :(

I have an epub for which I manually inserted line breaks into each chapter using Sigil to get some extra space between chapter headings and body text. I usually do this via margin-top, margin-bottom, or padding instructions in the stylesheet. However in this case, the manual breaks were working out better (or so I thought).

Well the spacing shows up fine in both Calibre's viewer and in Stanza on my iPod Touch. But my Sony PRS-350 just ignores it! I have no clue why. The code sigil inserted looks like this:

Code:
<div class="calibre4">
    <span class="calibre9"><br class="calibre4"/></span>
  </div>

<div class="calibre4">
    <span class="calibre9"><br class="calibre4"/></span>
  </div>
Since the spacing shows up fine in both Calibre and Stanza, I'm assuming it's just some quirk in the Sony readers, which I've noticed don't always follow the same rules as Calibre and Stanza. (For example, Sony readers will not honor "center" instructions if the word is in all caps but Calibre will.)

Anyone have a clue why the Sony reader is ignoring this code so I can avoid it in the future? I doubt I will go change all the chapters for the epub in question but I'd like to know what to avoid going forward.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Try putting a space in front of the /. I think <br /> is correct. Try it without the class part.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Or add something after the break, like &nbsp;

But really, use margins instead.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Margins and paddings are the better way, espacially when they are applied to html-elements.

Sometimes some room is wanted only in special cases, just use

Code:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
If this is to big apply a class and set line-height attribute.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
<br /> is useful when NO room (paragraph spacing/controlled split line Headings(Sigil uses headings in the TOC. Split-line means the TOC reads as 1 item, not 2+)) is wanted when starting a new line
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote