Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Sony US Store from UK

They seem to have a number of ePub books that nobody else has, but I haven't been able to find a way to fool their software into letting me buy from the UK. Has anyone found a way to do this?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
They seem to have a number of ePub books that nobody else has, but I haven't been able to find a way to fool their software into letting me buy from the UK. Has anyone found a way to do this?
Hmm, I don't need any trick at all from Germany.
Just define "US shop" in settings of the reader software.
They never have checked my IP or anything like that so far.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can access the store fine from the reader library, what I can't do is buy anything because I can't enter credit card information. It validates the address and says that it isn't correct.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can access the store fine from the reader library, what I can't do is buy anything because I can't enter credit card information. It validates the address and says that it isn't correct.
For me it's working without problems for 18 months.
In the past I had to use gift cards (might be an option for you), but since the update about 4 months ago I even can use my German credit card.
At what stage do you get the error message?

BTW: Usually I find a bit more books from Amazon or even BooksOnBord than from Sony.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-20-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
ChristopherTD
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
For me it's working without problems for 18 months.
In the past I had to use gift cards (might be an option for you), but since the update about 4 months ago I even can use my German credit card.
At what stage do you get the error message?

BTW: Usually I find a bit more books from Amazon or even BooksOnBord than from Sony.
It insists that I have to add a credit card. When I try to do so it throws it out on the post/zip code validation. It must check it against valid US/Canadian codes first, then against the code registered with the credit card. I have tried various combinations but none seem to get past this.

The books I was trying to get were some early Raymond Feist and a Gene Wolfe (Wizard) that seem to be only there.
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Jim Taylor
Jim Taylor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
It insists that I have to add a credit card. When I try to do so it throws it out on the post/zip code validation. It must check it against valid US/Canadian codes first, then against the code registered with the credit card. I have tried various combinations but none seem to get past this.

The books I was trying to get were some early Raymond Feist and a Gene Wolfe (Wizard) that seem to be only there.
I am in Australia but have access to a valid Canadian credit card, but the store won't let me add the card unless I access the shop from Canada!
Does anyone know a work around?
Jim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Taylor View Post
I am in Australia but have access to a valid Canadian credit card, but the store won't let me add the card unless I access the shop from Canada!
Does anyone know a work around?
Remote VPN - for a few dollars a month you can get a US/UK IP address. This works well for geo-restrictions.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
The Sony Store also works fine for me in Japan, with the setting as US, same as iTunes.

I do have a US billing address, though.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

Do you add a US (fantasy) address or your original one? You need one from the US. Just google for the fire department or something like that. Be careful: Choose california. Most US states (with the exception of California and about 5 others I don't remember just now) bill around 10% taxes in addition. Don't know whether this applies for Sony eBooks (I guess so), but is valid for iTunes movies and series for example.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Remote VPN - for a few dollars a month you can get a US/UK IP address. This works well for geo-restrictions.
Sony doesn't track the IP. B&N does, but so far they're the only one of the dozens I've tried. The others simply "believe" the US address you enter.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The best way to do it is to get someone to buy you gift cards from Sony. That will work to allow you to purchase eBooks from Sony US. if you want, PM me and I'll give you my Paypal info so you can send me money to buy you some gift cards.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best way to do it is to get someone to buy you gift cards from Sony. That will work to allow you to purchase eBooks from Sony US. if you want, PM me and I'll give you my Paypal info so you can send me money to buy you some gift cards.
Since around October, you don't need gift cards anymore. You can use a European credit card for an US account since then without problems. You just have to use an US account.