Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
f00dagi
f00dagi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Test two pdf-books on the PRS-600?

Hi!

I live in Sweden and as the prs-600 is not available in Europe there is no way for me to evaluate it properly. I have looked at lots of youtube clips and read lots of forums but nothing can be compared to get a first hand experience.

I know it is alot to ask for but my question is:
Are there anyone kind enough to test two ebooks that I have on their prs-600 and show the results to me by taking photos of the prs-600? If you are up to it I will send you a link to the pdf-books.

As soon as I see that it looks nice I will order the device from the US.

This would be very appreciated.

/Daniel
f00dagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have a PRS600 and can do the testing for you. I'll pm you with my email addy. If you let me know what you want I will try and take some photos for you.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I have now 'tested' the two samples and just wanted to post the comment and photos here - just in case someone else had the same questions. Remember: I am not a professional tester and fairly new to the reader. I have also only loaded the photos for sample A

I have loaded both pdfs on the reader. No problem. I also tried to convert to ePub but unfortunately don't know enough about it so it came out looking weird - someone with more knowhow might be more suited to do that.

The refreshing rate when turning the pages was instant so I would put that at 1 second (if the text size is set at small which seems the preset for the document).

I opened each document and photographed it in portrait, landscape (both in size small) and once each in size medium.

Increasing the size doesn't do the document any favours as it appears as if the graphs and tables disintegrate. However, zooming into the document to have a close look at the graphs is possible (sorry I didn't take a picture but can if you want to see it.) Sample C can be increased in size but it then looses it's page layout.

I found the text in both samples hard to read on small size. But then again I am wearing reading glasses which might need upgrading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample A - Size medium - landscape - graph.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	43924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample A - Size small - landscape.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	43925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample A - Size Small - landscape - graph.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	43926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample A - Size Small - Portrait.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	43927  
Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00dagi View Post
Hi!

...as the prs-600 is not available in Europe...
/Daniel
I don't know about all the European countries. But at least in UK and Germany, Sony 600 is available from various sources.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
And don't forget that with a pdf, you can crop the margins to gain, essentially, a permanent zoom. Look at soPDF in the PDF forum and one of the very nice GUIs that have been written for it in the same thread. Nathan Campos has a dedicated thread for his GUI.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
And don't forget that with a pdf, you can crop the margins to gain, essentially, a permanent zoom. Look at soPDF in the PDF forum and one of the very nice GUIs that have been written for it in the same thread. Nathan Campos has a dedicated thread for his GUI.
Thanks for that, didn't know it. So far I haven't had to deal with pdf a lot. Will give it a go.