Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
michelleinsd
michelleinsd began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Using the Sony PRS - 505 with a MAC

Can anyone help me with some software recommendations for using my SONY Reader with a MAC? I can't find a program that works. Thanks, Michelle
michelleinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Have a look at Calibre. It works great with Macs, and you'll find a whole forum dedicated to it.

Good luck!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
michelleinsd
michelleinsd began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Thank you for your response! I was actually able to download Calibre and use it with my SONY Reader. Then, I went to www.booksonboard.com and downloaded a book. I can view the book on my computer by using Adobe Digital Editions. When I load the book onto my reader through Calibre, it won't show the pages of the book because it says it is protected by DRM. But, I paid for the book, and I am able to view it on my MAC, just not on the reader. Do you have any advice for me? It would be much appreciated! Thank you! Michelle
michelleinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ouch. Well, here is the problem: ADE does not work with readers when on Macs. It has been annouced that it will at the end of this summer, but for now, the only alternative is to get access to a PC:
- Plugin your reader on a PC running ADE and authorise your device (until you've authorised it, you're reader won't be able to open books downloaded with ADE).
- Once you're reader has been authorised at least once, you can transfer your books with your Mac using the finder. Note you have to use the finder, and not calibre, as epubs (i.e: books downloaded with ADE) need to be in a special folder. This folder is called simply "Digital Editions", and any book throwned in there will show up in the list when you unplug your reader.

Sorry if this might sound a bit difficult, but it really isn't. Let's hope the next ADE for Mac will make all this process a lot simpler. Note that running ADE in a VMWare partition will also do the trick.

Last edited by Alfy; 07-31-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
So, to use what you have right to, you have to pay also Microsoft for a Windows license and WMWare for its virtualization software.

And while you're struggling against limitations, copyright infringers have downloaded that same book for free, multi format and readable on every device in the market.

Welcome to the DRM jungle.

BTW: you can ask booksonboard if they have that book in another format, like LIT. You can google for "convert lit", strip the DRM in it (breaking the law, if you're in the US) and upload it to your sony with calibre.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

Well, I'm not fond of DRMs myself, but in this case, this has little to do with protection. It's just a matter of lack of support for Mac coming from Sony, so let's not start this kind of discussion here, especially with a new member!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Ouch. Well, here is the problem: ADE does not work with readers when on Macs.
Are you sure? Or is this only a Sony Reader issue? I was able to authorize my BeBook with Adobe DE on a Mac (using the most recent beta firmware).
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
- Plugin your reader on a PC running ADE and authorise your device
There's one potential catch, in that you need to be sure the Windows ADE's logged in with your Adobe accountId rather than a PC-specific accountId, but other than that it should be straightforward.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
So, to use what you have right to, you have to pay also Microsoft for a Windows license and WMWare for its virtualization software.
As a slight aside, SUN's VirtualBox software is free & works well!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
As a slight aside, SUN's VirtualBox software is free & works well!
... but you still have to order a windows license if you want to "act legally". Crossover Mac is another solution that does not require such a license.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Hell, you could use Windows 7 and run it on the Mac for the time being. I dont know if there is still a free download of W7 but that is what I am going for the rare times I need windows
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
I have a Cybook Opus and ADE on my Mac could see it when it was connected to the USB port and successfully authorised it. I was then able to to purchase several DRM protected (epub) ebooks and install them via ADE onto my Opus. No WIndows machine in sight!

Sorry, just read the original post and it does specifically ask about the Sony Reader, so maybe my post doesn't apply.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Are you sure? Or is this only a Sony Reader issue? I was able to authorize my BeBook with Adobe DE on a Mac (using the most recent beta firmware).
I read about this somewhere ; IIRC, it's a problem that only occurs with Sony devices, as no driver exist for Mac. The devices disk space mount nicely, thanks to generic USB mass storage drivers, but ADE does not recognize the device properly.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote