Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
ajaxmike
ajaxmike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to Sync Calibre with Kindle Cloud

I want to make Calibre the hub for my ebooks, which are mostly Kindle and pdf. I have Calibre installed and I moved all of the books off my Paperwhite and into Calibre. I also have Kindle to PC installed on my Windows PC, but it only allows you to move one file at a time to the PC (no bulk download).
  1. I have more items in the kindle cloud than I have in Calibre. How do I figure out which I am missing and add then to the library?
  2. As I buy new books, how do I automatically have them downloaded to Calibre?
  3. Do I want to strip out the DRM? I have the DRM plugin installed.
  4. What format do I want to store the books in?
  5. It appears that calibre does not sync highlighting, notes, page last read etc. Is this correct or have I done something wrong?

Calibre looks fantastic and I am excited about managing my collection in one place, but I am overwhelmed at the moment. Can anybody please help?
ajaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
  1. You can just import all books then check for duplicates with the find duplicates plugin
  2. Set calibre to automatically import books from a selected folder (Preferences ==> Import/Export ==> Adding Books, in the "automatic adding" tab) and have it import from "C:\Users\<Username>\My Documents\My Kindle Content" (or "C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents\My Kindle Content" if you have Windows XP). Whenever you buy a book, have it sent to Kindle for PC, or open K4PC and manually download it. It will be downloaded to that folder, and calibre will automatically add it, then delete it from that folder,... so don't download stuff you've already added.
  3. If you want to read it anywhere other than the device/app you downloaded it for, then yes. The good news is, it is automatic, unless you specifically disable/uninstall the plugin.
  4. It will automatically be stored in mobi/azw3 format, depending on what Amazon sent you. Leave it that way, your PW can read it. If you get an iPhone/Android reader app, or another brand of e-ink reader, calibre will automatically convert it to a compatible format when you try to send to that new reader.
  5. This is correct. calibre cannot support proprietary features kept as trade secrets by all the readers out there.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
ajaxmike
ajaxmike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you. That clarifies everything.
ajaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote