Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Manisphere
Manisphere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Help! My battery drained overnight. Why?

So I was reading yesterday and everything was fine. Woke up this morning and the machine was shut down.

Can someone give me an idea how this would happen and what to do about it?

Many thanks
Manisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Have you opened the music player? I did that the first time on my new T1, and couldn't figure out how to close it and it killed the battery. Had to do a reset and then I was good...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
portlester
portlester began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
I've had the same thing happen on my T1 twice over the last month. Your's may be a different issue and I still haven't confirmed this, but my suspicion is that the wireless did not turn off automatically for me, even though I had put the reader into sleep mode and this drained the battery overnight.

On the last occasion (& I can't remember the first time), just before putting the reader down for the night, I was trying to connect to the internet but gave up after the reader took too long to connect. So while it was trying to connect I cancelled the connection and continued reading. Woke up next morning and the reader's battery was flat.

Having a later play with this I noted that even when I cancel the reader trying to establish a wireless connection, it continues to try to. What I haven't checked yet is whether or not it then shuts the wireless down automatically (which it normally does do when I am connected and go back to reading).

Has anyone else noted this?
portlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If you have many books in library lets say 1500+, must not display covers in collections or book list so it does not drain battery and waste time trying to show covers. On each page showing covers or list of books in collections or BOOKS the 4 Icons at top right corner, the left icon displays covers, 2nd icon to right list of books without covers. Touch 3rd icon to right for changing how books are sorted.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Manisphere

As far as I can guess, it was a badly formatted epub. Is that a thing? Cause I've never had this issue in the 9 months I've owned the reader. I put a new epub in the reader the day before the drain, adjusted the font (something I rarely ever do) and then put the book down. By morning the power was dead. First thing I did when I got it reset was remove said epub. Then I plugged it into the charger. It was fine all day yesterday and this morning I woke up with my reader at 100%. Knock on wood, apparently problem solved.

So are there such thing as badly formatted epubs that can keep the reader thinking all night? I'd come across the concept while trouble shooting my issue. It fits my problem so far cause I never play around with the settings and I never use Wi Fi.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yeah.... you need to turn the wi-fi OFF not on standby and as already mentioned make sure your mp3 player is shut down and yes it is possible that the reader was continually trying to load/display a corrupt e-pub doing a soft-reset (paperclip) or powering off would ensure that all is shut down.. looks like you solved it whatever it was lol
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Glad its not just me this is happening to. The battery drained for the second time last night. I thought it might be that I hadn't fully charged the battery after the first occurance about a week ago, but this might not be case now that I've read this thread.

I've performed a full Device Shutdown, checked that the Wi-Fi is off (its usual condition) and am recharging the battery as I type. Will wait to see what happens over the next week or so.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yeah let us know what happens
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Mine did the same about 3 times over the first 8 or so months I had it, with the battery completely discharging when left for more than a few hours in "sleep" mode. I don't use the WiFi on the reader, and that is always switched off, nor do I use the audio - the only functions ever used are just reading ones, mostly epubs.

If I am not going to next use the reader within an hour or so, I now always turn it completely off - by doing so I have not had the problem repeat itself (so far anyway ).

So seems to be some software matter either in the firmware or initiated in some way (I could not guess what way) by the book that was open when the reader was switched to "sleep" mode. It didn't happen enough times for me to draw any conclusions, but if the latter was the case then I wouldn't be surprised if it had been more frequent with pdfs.

In any event, it is something to be avoided as deep discharges shorten the life of most batteries, including Li-ion/polymer ones.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wll two weeks down the road and I haven't had another drained battery overnight. Stayed well away from the Wi-Fi. I've recharged the battery, added & removed books and notes without a problem. Hopefully this was a one off and I won't have any more problems.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
I've observed this a few times as well. Following a suggestion from another thread, I noticed that often the Reader does not enter deep sleep mode (standby) correctly when it was booted with a connected charger (for example when booting after a shutdown caused by a fully depleted battery). In this case, the battery depletes within a few hours. You can check whether this is the problem in your case by pressing one of the page-turn buttons when the reader appears to be in standby mode; if the reader wakes up from this button press, it did not enter standby correctly.

The cure is to switch the reader off after removing the charger and to reboot it without any USB cable attached.
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Manisphere

Aww, Dang! It happened again. The only thing I can link it to is that I took out a library book yesterday.

Dang.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
WarGhSt
WarGhSt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisphere View Post
So I was reading yesterday and everything was fine. Woke up this morning and the machine was shut down.

Can someone give me an idea how this would happen and what to do about it?

Many thanks
Had this happen a couple of times. Turned out the case I bought was touching the screen when I had the device in standby, (showing the cover of last read book) triggering the IR sensors I guess? Unfortunately I like the case so I just decided to start shutting the PRS-T1 off every night.
WarGhSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Manisphere

And it happened again. Did a hard reset and reloaded my books. Hoping that will work. Honestly, between the occasional freezing/spinning ball issue and the spontaneous drains, I just miss regular books.

Out of curiosity, does hard resetting an ereader ever clear the device of bugs or any odd behavior?

Last edited by Manisphere; 11-26-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
MickiTee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarGhSt View Post
Had this happen a couple of times. Turned out the case I bought was touching the screen when I had the device in standby, (showing the cover of last read book) triggering the IR sensors I guess? Unfortunately I like the case so I just decided to start shutting the PRS-T1 off every night.
Try adjusting the settings so that you have a blank screen in standby and see what happens. Turning the device on every day is going to lead to more recharging of the battery and therefore reduced battery life.