Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
There is a Joshin in den den town, and several Soft-Map stores. If the e-readers are around, that's where I'd look for them. I've been taking very long 'speed walks' for exercise 3-4 times a week, walking from Namba to Umeda or vice versa, so it's no problem for me to stop into these shops and look around.

Stitchawl
thumbs up! thank you for helping!!
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just read the news today:

http://www.pddnet.com/news/2012/11/r...ers-bookstores

"TOKYO, Nov. 15 (Kyodo) — Rakuten Inc. will start selling its Kobo electronic book readers at bookstores in eastern and central Japan on Friday, an executive of the major online shopping mall operator said Wednesday.

Hiroyuki Nagai, a Rakuten operating officer, said in an interview with Kyodo News that the company has agreed with bookstore operator Top Culture Co. in Niigata to sell the Kobo readers, including the new Kobo Glo model priced at 7,980 yen, in nine outlets."

It's interesting to follow up on news about Kobo Glo's launch day in japan =)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
d.sangria119
d.sangria119 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone actually /seen/ this device in Osaka? Either that, or of any plans to be released at Yodobashi Umeda? Either that or Kindle Paperwhite, which we know hasn't been released yet.

... Because I will definitely use up my Yodobashi points on either device.

Thanks for any advice~

If not, I will be waiting ... until something happens....

--
d.sangria119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sangria119 View Post
Has anyone actually /seen/ this device in Osaka? Either that, or of any plans to be released at Yodobashi Umeda? Either that or Kindle Paperwhite, which we know hasn't been released yet.

... Because I will definitely use up my Yodobashi points on either device.

Thanks for any advice~

If not, I will be waiting ... until something happens....

--

I was there at the beginning of the week and didn't see it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
silverspear
Connoisseur

I've been googling for news about Kobo Glo's launch yesterday (15 Nov is the launch date in Japan), but so far there's been no news about how the launch day went.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
silverspear
Connoisseur

Oh, I just spotted another article:

TOKYO, November 15, 2012 - Rakuten subsidiary Kobo Inc. will begin shipping its new kobo glo eReader today.

kobo glo is an eReader that combines an E Ink Corporation display and front lighting, enabling comfortable reading under any lighting condition, whether in bright sunlight or a dimly lit bedroom. With its micro SD slot for memory expansion (up to 32 GB) and enhanced performance allowing for quick page turning, the kobo glo is perfect for reading high-capacity comic books. It is also optimized for displaying Japanese characters and utilizes high quality Japanese fonts developed by Morisawa Inc., creating the same reading experience as printed paper.

kobo glo is available through Rakuten's online shopping mall, Rakuten Ichiba, as well as other leading electronics retailers, and Aeon of supermarket. To start the full scale beginning of eReader sales in book stores, Kobo Inc. has also entered into an agreement to market its kobo Touch and kobo glo with TOP CULTURE Co., Ltd., which operates 75 stores in Japan, especially areas of Shinetsu and Kanto. This provides consumers who come to shops for have yet to be exposed to eBooks and eReaders an opportunity to learn about this new approach to reading.

In addition, Kobo Inc. will run the Super Reading Festival from Thursday, November 22 (a day prior to a three-day weekend in Japan) to Friday, November 30 in order to further promote eReading. During this event, which targets all eBooks, customers can receive up to 10 times more Rakuten Super Points based on the amount of content they purchase from the Kobo eBookstore. Combined with bonuses given for purchases of certain eligible eBooks or eBooks from eligible publishers, customers can earn up to 20 times more Rakuten Super Points than normal. For further details, please see the outline of the Super Reading Festival below.

Kobo Inc. has been a pioneer in the Japanese eBook market since the launch of its services in Japan. Going forward, the company will continue efforts to provide an even better reading experience and help everyone to experience the joy of reading.

Last edited by silverspear; 11-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #22
d.sangria119
d.sangria119 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Stitchawl
Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye open. Will post here if I notice it being released there eventually. Maybe I will just end up buying online.... Damn, wanted to use my Yodobashi points. Basically'd be free after that.
d.sangria119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #23
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sangria119 View Post
Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye open. Will post here if I notice it being released there eventually. Maybe I will just end up buying online.... Damn, wanted to use my Yodobashi points. Basically'd be free after that.
I used up my points while I was there by buying a new circular polarizing filter. The ultra-thin ones for very wide angle lenses are ridiculously expensive! But I can spend hours just wandering around that place! Every floor is like a toy store to me!

Stitchawl
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #24
supersomz
supersomz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I will have a Kobo Glo bought from Japan soon. So how do you set the language to English?
supersomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersomz View Post
I will have a Kobo Glo bought from Japan soon. So how do you set the language to English?
how did you or how are you planning to purchase it? can share with me, so that I too may consider how to get it? =) I did think of online ordering through rakuten, but i'm not sure if they will deliver to a hotel address...
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersomz View Post
I only have a Kobo Touch, but I am rather sure language selection works the same way. When you use the reader the first time you will presented with the language options (cf. this youtube video).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:

Stitchawl
Any luck so far over the weekend sighting a Kobo reader?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
silverspear
Connoisseur

I've just seen the Joshin Denki website, apparently it lists the Kobo Glo as available... I wonder if it's already in stores now..
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I still haven't seen it...

Stitchawl
Old 11-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #30
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I was in the Bic Camera in Ikebukuro (Tokyo) and they had one on display there. It was fairly easy to switch the language to English. One thing I didn't check was the firmware or how you long into your account. In Japan you have to use a Rakuten account rather than your traditional email address. This pisses me off to no end and I need to use a VPN just so I can log in normally. I hope it's not the same with the ereader itself.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote