Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
fjell_strom
Enthusiast
fjell_strom has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: HanLin V3 with Vizplex? Hmmmmmm...
Does this HanLin V3 have Vizplex? (VIDEO)

I received a HanLin V3 reader the other day from Jinke. The box carried a sticker bearing the word "Vizplex". There was no other reference to Vizplex anywhere that I could see on either the device or in the literature accompanying the device.

Having watched the French video presenting the upcoming Cybook - also featuring the new Vizplex eInk screen - I was under the impression that page-turning on the V3 would be equally as fast as it seems to be in the Cybook video. http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=6889

As you can see in my video featuring the V3 from Jinke, page turning is dramatically slower, promting me to ask the simple question: does my device have a Vizplex screen at all? As I stated before, there is no indication that I have a device with Vizplex other than a solitary, miniscule sticker on the box:

Youtube video of the V3: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gPBo81PPEwg

What do you think?

Last edited by fjell_strom; 09-22-2007 at 10:22 AM.
fjell_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
fjell_strom
Enthusiast
fjell_strom has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: HanLin V3 with Vizplex? Hmmmmmm...
JSWolf already commented on another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All I can say is that your V3 page turn speed is slower then my Sony (non-Vizplex) Reader (PRS500) page turn speed using the built-in fonts.
fjell_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I dont think you can determine that from page turn speed. The actual flip seems quite fast.
Then it depends on the waveforms used to update the scree, then on the software readers n and lastly on the processor speed.

But to mee the screen seems quite bright for a video, so i would assume its vizplex. A side by side comparison would help there
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
bandsaw
bandsaw began at the beginning.

My eyes aren't what they used to be but it looks like you are flipping through a PDF and as such, the page turns seem pretty quick!
bandsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'd say the refresh is OK, but it takes some time to load the next page. This is probably due to bad/missing page prechaching or just generally bad software.

That's always the trouble with this kind of device...the nicest Hardware won't help if the software implementation is bad.
I'd suggest talking to Jinke...they are usually very responsive and might tell you what's going on. Maybe there is a new firmware out there or in development that works faster.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
the contrast looks a lot better than my V2, but I can't quite judge the comparison between the page turns (see my video)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hg7NNAUKEI
It does look like that the actually page flip is slightly quicker but the data loading looks like to be the same speed as mine
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I'd say the refresh is OK, but it takes some time to load the next page. This is probably due to bad/missing page prechaching or just generally bad software.

That's always the trouble with this kind of device...the nicest Hardware won't help if the software implementation is bad.
I'd suggest talking to Jinke...they are usually very responsive and might tell you what's going on. Maybe there is a new firmware out there or in development that works faster.
Given how slow the V3 seems to get ready to turn the page, I'll stick with my Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
LVD
Connoisseur
LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
I received a HanLin V3 reader the other day from Jinke. The box carried a sticker bearing the word "Vizplex". There was no other reference to Vizplex anywhere that I could see on either the device or in the literature accompanying the device.

------

Having watched the French video presenting the upcoming Cybook - also featuring the new Vizplex eInk screen - I was under the impression that page-turning on the V3 would be equally as fast as it seems to be in the Cybook video. http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=6889

As you can see in my video featuring the V3 from Jinke, page turning is dramatically slower, promting me to ask the simple question: does my device have a Vizplex screen at all? As I stated before, there is no indication that I have a device with Vizplex other than a solitary, miniscule sticker on the box:

Youtube video of the V3: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gPBo81PPEwg

What do you think?
Hi,

Brief "quick screen" you can easily reach themselves (as demonstrated CyBOOK). This requires a simple program display images and adapts images (800 * 600, 2 bit) in bmp format. And you will surprise their guests speeds Hanlin V3.

If you want to view PDF CyBook, then you will find disappointment: Hanlin V3 will be easier CyBook.

Tip:

do not forget to update the software Hanlin V3

I do not know how often Chinese updating software Hanlin V3, we update software lBook V3, about once a month.

Unfortunately, I can not advise you to use software lBook. It focuses on the use of our popular formats txt, fb2 (xml), rtf.

PDF, DOC, CHM, HTML, we still use the Chinese version.
LVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
looks very slow sorry you had to buy before finding out. they should release preview models i think.
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
IIRC the Gen3 demo video is using an ("optimized"?) image file but not text. A fair comparison should be using the same file on difference devices.

Now I see the price of the Vizplex version drop to $329. Actually the one I got has a "Sample" sticker on it (instead of "Vizplex"). Would it be a Vizplex "sample"?

Off topic: Frankly i am very tired of hearing continuous biased bashing of V3 (without trying the device in person) and the "Chinese crap" theories. Also not every reader (I for one) buys the DRM approach to ebooks.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #11
zdevil
Enthusiast

Thanks fjell_storm for the video. I find my V3 runs as fast as yours.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #12
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Fjell,
I'm pretty sure I've got the non-Vizplex model (at least there was no mention of it when I got the V3 from Jinke), but based on your video I can't see that yours has faster page-turning than mine.
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
zdevil
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trono View Post
Fjell,
I'm pretty sure I've got the non-Vizplex model (at least there was no mention of it when I got the V3 from Jinke), but based on your video I can't see that yours has faster page-turning than mine.
When did you get it? I bought mine at the end of August.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
fjell how do you feel about v3 overall now?
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #15
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdevil View Post
When did you get it? I bought mine at the end of August.
My reader was shipped from china on aug. 21.
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote