Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
It never occurred to me to do so...although I am not a list person at all.

Admittedly, I have been known to buy multiple copies of the same book or start reading a book only to realize that I've read it before
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I tried (with Librarything) but I'm just too lazy and don't want to deal with keeping up to date. I'd rather just read and move on.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I tried (with Librarything) but I'm just too lazy and don't want to deal with keeping up to date. I'd rather just read and move on.
I'd like to read and just move on, but I find myself witlessly gravitating to stuff I've already read after a couple of years --- I'd get fifty pages into a book and realize hmmm...this is familiar.

Hence, LibraryThing has been a godsend.

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I started keeping a list of the books I bought for the same reason that others have mentioned here - I kept buying books twice (or three times, or...)

I started with an Excel spreadsheet, then moved to keeping the list in a program called ListPro that I bought with my first PDA. To keep the filesize from being too unwieldy, I have them split by mainstream publisher (e- or print), independent publisher (exclusively e), and Harlequin. I also have a separate listing for non-fiction.

I only started keeping a separate "Reading List" in 2005 as a part of an online challenge to read 50 books in a year. (*snort*, I did that in 2 months!)

It's nice to keep it in ListPro, because it goes with me wherever I go, as long as I'm carrying my PDA.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Hrm...yes, I keep a log of the books I read as well as the ones I buy...in a three-subject notebook. Don't know why I haven't looked into doing something more high-tech.

What scares me is when I look at the number of books I've bought over the past five years...yeesh! Scary.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It did take a bit of work to put them in initially (I did about 20-50 a day until they were done), but now it really isn't much of a hassle. Now, once I finish reading a book I will add it to librarything. It takes just a minute to do it. Once I have done it I delete it from my Kindle. This way I remember what I have read that still needs to be entered.

The biggest benefits so far has been.

1. I create a tag for each month and use that tag on the book to indicate when I read it. I use the month I finish reading it.. for example I have used nov08 for the last 4 books I read.

2. I use the series page to see what books I am missing. This has come in handy for the Star Trek books of which there are several series and has helped me fill in the ones I have missed. (Catching up on the SCE series right now.)

3. I can send a link to someone to show them what I have read if they are interested.

There are alot of other things you can do with it too. Like compare your library to others. Find people with similar libraries. Get recommendations based on your library. View others rankings and reviews. Etc.

Also, someone said that they didn't want to "trust" some web based service. LibraryThink allows you to export your library to a text file or spread sheet so you can always have a local version if you want... or put it on your cellphone, reader or ipod, whatever.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, this thread has inspired me to do some updating of my LibraryThing account. I've been working on it for the past hour. Thanks a lot BOb (I learned about LT from you)!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Unfortunately, this thread has inspired me to do some updating of my LibraryThing account. I've been working on it for the past hour. Thanks a lot BOb (I learned about LT from you)!
Apologies!
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #24
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
I use Calibre, at least lately - dont have a list of all the books I own/have read though. When bored, I just open my cabinet and pick one out randomly and read it again
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
For the past 6-7 years, I've kept a list of books and the date I finished reading. Nothing fancy...just a notebook I keep next to my bed. I only started the list after someone asked how many books I read a year. Recently a friend invited me to join GoodReads. I added all the books I'd read this year and have tried to keep it current, but sometimes it's a couple of days before I remember to update the list.

When I got my Reader last year, I created a monster spreadsheet to track books currently on the Reader, on SD cards, wishlist, books read, and books deleted. Too cumbersome. I still reference it on occasion to check the wishlist, but I don't use it to track books I've read.

Even though I have a GoodReads account now, I still log everything I read in that notebook next to the bed. It's the most convenient method for me.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

My life was so much easier before I read this thread. I spent a HUGE amount of time culling and uploading books to LibraryThing. Their Universal uploader does not recognize the ASIN numbers of Kindle books, so I had to enter those one at a time. Then I got all anal-retentive and had to upload a Kindle cover for each book on my Kindle. Now I have to do the same think for my audiobooks.

My carpal tunnel hurts.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-02-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I would have thought it would make sense for librarything to offer integration with the kindle section of Amazon seeing as quite a few dedicated readers in america seem to be using them. I wouldn't really though know as I live in Norway where ebooks are still viewed as a waste of time by all the publishers. The only ebooks we can get here are those we purchase from abroad over the internet. You can't buy readers like cybook or sony 505, etc in stores here and the only online shop I know of that is based in Norway only has old, outdated ebook readers that don't measure up to the likes of the new cybook and the 505.

I might pick up a 505 next time I go to england though as us Norwegians still get tax free shoping when we travel , but it really depends on if the Norwegian publishers start releasing books in ebook format any time soon.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I would have thought it would make sense for librarything to offer integration with the kindle section of Amazon seeing as quite a few dedicated readers in america seem to be using them. I wouldn't really though know as I live in Norway where ebooks are still viewed as a waste of time by all the publishers. The only ebooks we can get here are those we purchase from abroad over the internet. You can't buy readers like cybook or sony 505, etc in stores here and the only online shop I know of that is based in Norway only has old, outdated ebook readers that don't measure up to the likes of the new cybook and the 505.

I might pick up a 505 next time I go to england though as us Norwegians still get tax free shoping when we travel , but it really depends on if the Norwegian publishers start releasing books in ebook format any time soon.
I did send request asking for integration of all ebooks and audiobooks, so we'll see what happens.It seems people have been asking for a good year and it's recognized that ebooks are going to become more dominant.

I noticed someone with a PRS-500 has been uploading covers that show the cover on their Reader.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #29
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I don't keep a list as such, but I still have every book I have bought. I do hope to start using Calibre, just as soon as I can write something to make it send to my iLiad like I want.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #30
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have Amazon to keep track of my Kindle books, also on my computer at home. I have software that keeps track of my pdf files on my computer and I have a program called Collectorz that keeps track of my pbooks, CDs, and DVDs. I have folders that keep each type of ebook, mobi, PRC etc.

I discovered that, in the case of Romance novels, publishers do them over with different covers. This really screwed me up so I began keeping list. I've completely stopped buying pbooks but have a few hundred in my home library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collectorz book.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	18631  

Last edited by pagansoul; 12-02-2008 at 10:18 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote