Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
a kindle nightmare can u help

my sister (who lives in the uk) got our niece to get her a kindel while she was visiting her father in the states (her father had to use his credit card to buy it.

I can hear people saying oh no silly person but she had no idea what she was doing and is now left unable to register the kindel because she didnt buy it and further more is unable to get any books as apparently they are not available for the uk.

the question is what can be done or what can i do for her? can i change the firmware and what other sources is there for getting books

without doing any reading up on this (so very sorry) i reckon its possible to hack the thing but my sister is quite old fashioned about things and would worry that the police is following her type of thing.

any help or advice is greatly welcome
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
She should be able to register it. All she should need is an account on Amazon.com. But she would not be able to buy Kindle ebooks without a US credit card, so it might not be worth the bother.

There are other sources of ebooks. The Kindle can also read nonDRMed Mobipocket ebooks, which can be found at a number of places. If the Kindle owner is technically savvy, one could also buy ebooks in MSReader format, remove the DRM, and convert to Mobipocket format.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Although it is not that difficult to get a prepaid US credit card with a US address and use that for purchases of digital media.

You just wouldn't be able to use Whispernet.

US prepaid credit cards are not that expensive (I think they are in the neighborhood of maybe $3.00 to set up) and she could use the father's address in the US as the address for the card. (With his permission, of course.)
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See How do non-US Kindlers purchase Kindle e-books?, which references Amazon Kindle outside of the US. The trick is to get a US prepaid credit card with a legal US address, and use this as the 1-click purchase option on an account dedicated to the Kindle, but to always use gift certificates to actually buy Kindle ebooks.

If this is too complicated, and your sister does not want to buy MOBI ebooks from FictionWise and make them Kindle compatible with kindlefix.py or buy LIT (MS Reader) ebooks from anywhere and break their DRM, then the only other option is to sell the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Short of removing DRM and/or converting content, the best best is to send it back to the US and get the Kindle returned. That is if all this content diddle is not something she wants to or can do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
PM sent to you dogsballs. No "diddling" required.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
PM sent to you dogsballs. No "diddling" required.
cheers for all the replies

first off she has tried to register the kindle but cant as its the credit card holder (who purchased it) who has to do this at least thats what she has been told, now reading on here last night i got the impression that before you do any buying from amazon or any other site you need a pid code (i think) which has to be from the registration process

is it not possible to transfer ownership of the kindle before registration and then she should be able to use the credit card method to purchase books from amazon

now if it was me i would use all the info on this site to circumvent whatever i could but i doubt my sis would go down this route

ps daffy have seen your message will act on it soon
Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
cheers for all the replies

first off she has tried to register the kindle but cant as its the credit card holder (who purchased it) who has to do this at least thats what she has been told, now reading on here last night i got the impression that before you do any buying from amazon or any other site you need a pid code (i think) which has to be from the registration process

is it not possible to transfer ownership of the kindle before registration and then she should be able to use the credit card method to purchase books from amazon

now if it was me i would use all the info on this site to circumvent whatever i could but i doubt my sis would go down this route

ps daffy have seen your message will act on it soon
None of that sounds right to me. Not a bit of it.

An unregistered Kindle is an unregistered Kindle. It matters not one whit who purchased it. UNLESS it came registered to the person who purchased it, in which case it would need to be unregistered so it could be re-registered to the new account.

The Amazon account needs to have a US credit card and a US address. I have never heard about a "pid" ... there certainly wasn't one generated from the registration process.

I purchased a Kindle from another member here at Mobileread. She sent it to me unregistered (having removed her registration information). I got my neighbor's Amazon account information, and then registered that Kindle in her name (it's for her mother in law).

All I needed was her email address and her Amazon password. Simple ... that Kindle is now registered to her ... not to the original purchaser, and not to me. Any purchases made through that Kindle are made on my neighbor's account.

Someday, that Kindle will come back to me (though not too soon, I hope, I really like my neighbor's mother in law). Then, I will unregister it again, and re-register it with my own information.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
dogsballs
Zealot

sorry about the confusion i was writing in haste the pid came from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239
but on reading the first post again it seems its to do with mobipockets and not amazon registration.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing to do is send back the Kindle. It's not worth the hassle.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing to do is send back the Kindle. It's not worth the hassle.

Have you said that to the folks outside the U.S. who have purchased the Sony? I seem to have read that you have even gone out of your way to purchase gift cards so that they can make purchases from the Sony store. If there is a work around for Sony users why are you trying to discourage someone from using a work around for the Kindle? You anti-Kindle bias is tiring.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

dogsballs, does your sister mind converting content? Does she mind removing DRM? If the answers are that she doesn't mind, then the Kindle is a keeper.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
dogsballs, does your sister mind converting content? Does she mind removing DRM? If the answers are that she doesn't mind, then the Kindle is a keeper.
You don't have to do either of those to use it. Feedbooks, manybooks, Fictionwise (be sure to check what format the books are offered in), Mobileread, Project Gutenberg - work just fine.

It's a great feature to be able to download a book with about 3 clicks and 10-30 seconds, but the Kindle is still quite useful without that. It is somewhat of a pain to have to check for the format and DRM status, and a Cybook might have been a somewhat better choice for someone in the UK, but it'll still work, just not quite as well as it does in the US.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
You don't have to do either of those to use it. Feedbooks, manybooks, Fictionwise (be sure to check what format the books are offered in), Mobileread, Project Gutenberg - work just fine.

It's a great feature to be able to download a book with about 3 clicks and 10-30 seconds, but the Kindle is still quite useful without that. It is somewhat of a pain to have to check for the format and DRM status, and a Cybook might have been a somewhat better choice for someone in the UK, but it'll still work, just not quite as well as it does in the US.
I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. While there are a lot of good eBooks out there for free and a lot of them are here on MR in Mobipocket that the Kindle can handle. Unless you can strip the DRM from Mobipocket or MS Reader (and convert) then you cannot purchase best sellers (for example) all that easily.

The only devices so far that have worldwide book purchasing so far are the iLiad and Gen3.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #15
dogsballs
Zealot

if it was me i would strip out the drm protection but as i said previously my sis aint me
also i think she would like to be able to buy the bestsellers so the classics while all good does have a certain limit to thier value
i will check out the site mentioned by moso and may even go through the process to see how easy it will be for her (she got her first pc just over a year ago) and i suppose its possible for me to do any loading of the ebooks she wants to read

on another note i see play.com are taking pre-orders for the new sony reader 199 pounds sterling which would work with the new service from waterstones bookshops here in the uk

Tags
duck!