Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
How to add author names?

I just bought a bunch of Steve Jordan's books from his website. When I loaded them up to my Kindle, the author's name did not appear.

Is there any way to get the name to show up? I have a few others that I have bought from non-Amazon stores that have the same problem and I'd like to clean this up.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Mobi2Mobi, which is part of MobiPerl can add the author.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Or ask Steve to start creating proper Mobi format books with metadata!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
True, that would be the easiest method. He'd only have to run MobiPerl once for each of his novels.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Use MobiPerl. Under Windows there is no need to install perl, and there is a GUI version (Mobi2Mobi GUI v0.09 Now Supports .MOBI extn). Also on Windows, you can edit the names in MobiPocket Reader (which updates the .mbp file) and then use mobi2mobi's --mbpfile FILE option to use the author and publisher info from the mbp file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Use MobiPerl. Under Windows there is no need to install perl, and there is a GUI version (Mobi2Mobi GUI v0.09 Now Supports .MOBI extn). Also on Windows, you can edit the names in MobiPocket Reader (which updates the .mbp file) and then use mobi2mobi's --mbpfile FILE option to use the author and publisher info from the mbp file.
I dl'd the v.38 (not sure I have that right) and .NET 3.5 and then the M2M GUI. They are in the same file. It did not work. I'm not at my home computer, so I can't remember the exact message, but it was something to do with missing lines. Any hints?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I dl'd the v.38 (not sure I have that right) and .NET 3.5 and then the M2M GUI. They are in the same file. It did not work. I'm not at my home computer, so I can't remember the exact message, but it was something to do with missing lines. Any hints?
No

If you test with just mobi2mobi and tell what you wrote and the output I can probably tell you what is wrong.

I had kind of forgotten the --mbpfile option but was reminded by wallcraft here that I had implemented it. Hopefully this option is useful for some people.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
No
Succint. Not really helpful, but the smiley was nice.

My work for some unknown reason, will not let me dl programs from the Intertubes. And I don't have a lot of time at home for noodling onthe 'putter. So, this may take a while. I'll put up my results when I get the chance.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

I seem to remember something like this coming up before, but I may be mistaken. I've been using MobiPocket Creator to make my Mobi files. But I also just switched my home system to WinXP, and I'm re-loading many a piece of SW, so if you-all think I can do better than MobiCreator, I'll try other apps.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

I seem to remember something like this coming up before, but I may be mistaken. I've been using MobiPocket Creator to make my Mobi files. But I also just switched my home system to WinXP, and I'm re-loading many a piece of SW, so if you-all think I can do better than MobiCreator, I'll try other apps.
You can generate proper meta data with MobiPocket creator. People are talking about mobi2mobi because that's the way to modify a compiled mobi file.

So you don't need to change your routine. (Maybe you need to update to the latest MobiPocket creator). Just be careful about the metadata in the GUI or the opf file.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
You can generate proper meta data with MobiPocket creator. People are talking about mobi2mobi because that's the way to modify a compiled mobi file.

So you don't need to change your routine. (Maybe you need to update to the latest MobiPocket creator). Just be careful about the metadata in the GUI or the opf file.
Turned out to be exactly right: I needed to upgrade Mobi Creator to the latest Publisher Edition, and now I can generate the metadata (tested and confirmed). First chance I get, I'll be updating all my novels to the newer format with metadata, starting with this month's new release.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
pshrynk

Quote:
Turned out to be exactly right: I needed to upgrade Mobi Creator to the latest Publisher Edition, and now I can generate the metadata (tested and confirmed). First chance I get, I'll be updating all my novels to the newer format with metadata, starting with this month's new release.
I was thinking that having the books processed through Amazon was stripping the info, since it did with some FictionWise books I bought, but alas, it did not make a difference when I re-dl'd them through the wire rather than the ether. Can i re-dl the updated versions when they come up? I had a problem trying to dl to my home computer. I e-mailed you last night about that.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I was thinking that having the books processed through Amazon was stripping the info, since it did with some FictionWise books I bought, but alas, it did not make a difference when I re-dl'd them through the wire rather than the ether. Can i re-dl the updated versions when they come up? I had a problem trying to dl to my home computer. I e-mailed you last night about that.
The Kindle process also allows for the author to enter metadata, but they upload from the original files (such as from Word), and give you no new ways of adding metadata to the docs afterward. If the MD the author submits isn't being added to the Kindle by Amazon, there's nothing that I can do about that.

If you're just talking about uploading the Mobis to Kindle, then I expect the updated SW that I'll be using will fix that. Since you were good enough to point out the problem, I'll make sure you get the updated texts directly... and I'll try to fulfill the same requests to anyone else who asks who has bought Mobis from me (yes, I have all the receipts!).
Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
pshrynk

Quote:
The Kindle process also allows for the author to enter metadata, but they upload from the original files (such as from Word), and give you no new ways of adding metadata to the docs afterward. If the MD the author submits isn't being added to the Kindle by Amazon, there's nothing that I can do about that.

If you're just talking about uploading the Mobis to Kindle, then I expect the updated SW that I'll be using will fix that. Since you were good enough to point out the problem, I'll make sure you get the updated texts directly... and I'll try to fulfill the same requests to anyone else who asks who has bought Mobis from me (yes, I have all the receipts!).
I bought them from you and sent them to the Kindle from work, so it's the second type. Appreciate the work you're doing!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You may find a lot of the Mobipocket eBooks here to have poor metadata because they were generated with Book Designer. This is where Mobi2Mobi comes in very handy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote