Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer iOS 7 over the "classic" iOS look?
Yes, iOS 7 looks better 27 19.57%
No, I preferred the previous iOS look & feel 69 50.00%
I'm fine with both; it's natural/acceptable evolution 42 30.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #76
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, I've been pretty ill for the last few months. I haven't touched my iPad in a few days now and feel much better. I went to the doctor thinking I was dying, turns out it's because I've spent way too much time with iOS 7.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #77
jswinden
Nameless Being

Caller block is definitely not working in iOS 7. I just got a voice message left from a caller I blocked. Block means block completely Apple. Get it right.
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Caller block is definitely not working in iOS 7. I just got a voice message left from a caller I blocked. Block means block completely Apple. Get it right.
Did you report this to Apple?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #79
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Hmm, caller block worked fine for me, I had a couple of marketers pestering me and I assigned a contact Total Pest, placed the numbers in that contact and I havent had a call since.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #80
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Hmm, caller block worked fine for me, I had a couple of marketers pestering me and I assigned a contact Total Pest, placed the numbers in that contact and I havent had a call since.
They probably haven't called you back. As stated, it doesn't work for me. I placed this caller in my Ignore contact. The calls are now silenced, but display on the screen. And they can leave voice mail. Maybe T-Mobile disables the caller blocking feature? But I see no more function in this iOS 7 feature than I got in iOS 6 by assigning the caller to a silent ring tone. In iOS 7 if you block a caller but don't assign a silent ring tone then the phone rings when they call. So obviously caller blocking isn't doing anything.

This caller is really annoying. It is XM Satellite. The trial on my new car's XM Satellite subscription runs out next week. They have been trying to get me to renew almost since the 3-month trial began. Pay day is the day before it expires so they will just have to wait!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-03-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #81
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you report this to Apple?

Good luck reporting anything to Apple. They send you on a merry-go-round of support webpages, and call it "Express Lane". I suppose it's the express lane to frustration.

There appears to be no way to send an e-mail to Apple support. None. Zero. Zip. It is no coincidence. Despite their enormous resources, Apple seem overwhelmed by user feedback -- and so they need to hide from their customers as much as possible. I've had a similar experience with Google and Amazon.

Here's what happened to me: ever since I upgraded my iPad 3 to iOS 7, I basically never get to see my lock-screen anymore. Instead, I get to see the hideous, hazy notifications screen every time. (By the way, that's another aspect in which iOS 7 is markedly uglier compared to iOS 6: why splash notifications in full-screen on the iPad's huge screen, even if there are only 2 or 3 short notifications?)

My iPad is the 3G version, but I have no SIM card in it. I only insert a SIM card when staying abroad. This was no problem for the iPad in earlier iOS versions.

iOS 7, however, now insists on popping up a "No SIM card installed!" notification for me, approximately every hour or so (in sleep mode). That's 24 times per day. Every day. How dumb can iOS 7 get?

So I tried to contact Apple support about this. It can't be done -- not via e-mail or web form (the easiest way to get in touch and open a support ticket; so, they don't want you to open a support ticket). You end up on a page where you're supposed to pay $19 per "support incident". You can also request an "exceptional case", but when I did that, I got transferred to a chat window, and I timed out there every time, with no indication whether the chat window was even working.

So much for "reporting issues to Apple". Just forget it.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #82
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
On the whole I prefer flat design over bevels, drop shadows and gradients. iOS 7 from what I've seen of it (I haven't upgraded) is lacking in consistency and accessibility. There isn't enough contrast between the text and backgrounds, and there's nothing in the flat design ethos that says buttons shouldn't have a background to make them actually look different to regular text.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #83
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
A nice write-up on an important aspect that makes iOS 7's design inferior to previous iOS iterations in many users' eyes:

http://blog.jaredsinclair.com/post/6...26/untouchable

Over a month after starting the poll in this thread, nearly 49% of those who voted prefer the original iOS look & feel. Only every fifth user who voted believes iOS 7 is a distinct improvement.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #84
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
No, I don't like it! Oh how I've longed for an iPad for its beautiful calendar interface! (I keep my schedule in view continously). I find the calendar in iOS7 completely unattractive. It doesn's possess any of Apple's perfection! Grrrrr!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #85
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
No, I don't like it! Oh how I've longed for an iPad for its beautiful calendar interface! (I keep my schedule in view continously). I find the calendar in iOS7 completely unattractive. It doesn's possess any of Apple's perfection! Grrrrr!
There are plenty of 3rd party calendar apps.

BOb
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

So, everyone that "hates" iOS 7... are you moving to Android? the Nexus 5 looks really nice... while I'd love a bigger screen than my iPhone 5 has, the 5inch size sounds overly large for a device I keep in a front pocket.

BOb
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #87
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

I've gotta say some of the updated apps look so much nicer in their new iOS 7 clothes. OurGroceries just updated and it looks sooo much better.

BOb
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #88
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
So, everyone that "hates" iOS 7... are you moving to Android? the Nexus 5 looks really nice... while I'd love a bigger screen than my iPhone 5 has, the 5inch size sounds overly large for a device I keep in a front pocket.

BOb
It's actually not that much bigger, despite having a screen that's an inch larger diagonally. Nexus 5 on the left

HEIGHT 5.43 inches (137.84 mm) 4.87 inches (123.8 mm)
WIDTH 2.64 inches (67.17 mm) 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
DEPTH 0.34 inches (8.59 mm) 0.30 inch (7.6 mm)
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #89
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
BOb
No, I'm not switching to Android. I still prefer iOS. However, I really dislike the calendar and notes apps. Maybe it is time to look at third party apps. I do like the way some apps have updated to the new style. I just really hate all the white space and the neon colors and reduced legibility. Glad they fixed the excessive animation in the latest update. I haven't switched my iPhone over. I do think iOS 7 looks better on the new iPhones compared to my iPad. Maybe it's because the screen is smaller so the white space isn't as blinding.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #90
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:

BOb
I'm sticking with iOS 6.1.3 on my iPad 4, and 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4. I will continue to stick with my iPhone 4 until I need a new phone and THEN I'll probably give a Nokia Lumia phone a shot.

I'd much prefer Android, but I'm not going back to oversized batteries or daily charging of my phone. So until Google makes changes to how Android works, I'm not willing to go back. That's the only reason why I left Android in the first place. I like being able to use my iPhone for 2-3 days before charging.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote