Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Kindle or Kobo?

Hi everyone.

I'm currently reading on my beloved Sony 505. My iriver story has died again. I'm giving it up as a faulty machine, although I LOVED reading on it.
So me being me, a gadget lover, I've decided to get a brand new reader.

Off I go into town today. I looked at both the Kobo in WHSmiths and the Kindle in Currys.
I'm not sure I like the padded back of the kobo but hey-ho.
Anybody got experience with both? It's going to be purely for reading books.
Both of the cheapest models of each brand are £89. Bargainous!

I'm torn as to which one I prefer and was looking for some advice/thoughts.
I was actually considering getting both, I'm sure to end up like an old cat lady, but with readers and not so much of the lady hahahah.

Thanks in advance!
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kobo will allow you to add the books you already have with out stripping DRM and converting books. While it is not difficult to do, converting does take time and can be daunting for some folks.

The reviews I have read from people who have had the Kobo and the Kindle is that page turns are faster on the Kindle. It seems that many of the folks who have had both have preferred the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I only have a Kobo Touch and not a Kindle. If you're going to take the cheapest version Kobo (I'm assuming it's likely the Kobo Wifi) you'd probably be happier with the cheapest Kindle. If you go for the Kobo Touch I can highly recommend it. Touch is much faster and has a lot more features versus the Wifi. The Wifi when it came out was good value due to the price differential (less features vs lower cost), but probably not as much if you're paying same price.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
JoeZell
Earl of Efflorescence
JoeZell began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
My mother uses a Kindle, and my grandmother uses a Kobo. The Kobo is definitely my preferred of the two. It's easier to use, the padded back is cool, though from WH Smith, the black is a bit dull. Touch is easier than a tiny pad, hands down, and it (Kobo) has not got all the ridiculously anal restrictions a Kindle has.
JoeZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZell View Post
(Kobo) has not got all the ridiculously anal restrictions a Kindle has.
Like what?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle does not have anal restrictions. It uses a different DRM. Just like Barnes and Noble. So you can buy books from stores that sell books in a Mobi format and not an EPub format. Any independent books store, ie one not tied to a specific e-reader like Kobo, Sony, Nook, or Kindle, sells books in both formats. Kobo can buy books from any bookstore that is not Kindle or Barnes and Noble.

So Kobo can read books from some of the smaller e-reader stores easily. With the Kindle you can buy books from just about every store you can the Kobo (minus Sony and Kobo) and Amazons store. Amazons store is still the largest e-reader bookstore so you are not exactly missing out on anything.

And if you are willing to strip DRM and convert formats, none of it matters because you can buy from any bookstore you want.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Hi and thanks for your comments.

I'm familiar and have used converting programs like Calibre, so converting wouldn't be a problem.
I'm probably going to go with the Kindle. And now can't decide whether to have keyboard or non keyboard.

Soooooo, do those of you with a KK use the keyboard much?

I'm going to have another look tomorrow and ask for another handle of both versions.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Use my wife's technique. Check the store's policy on returns and if it is easy to return buy both. Then read a book or two on each of them. Keep the best one and return the other one.

I felt sinful doing this when I first tried it with binoculars, but it really helped as I was able to take both out in the wild and give them a full side by side test.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find the keyboard very useful on the Kindle, and use it a lot. Amazon has by far the best bookstore around, and generally the best prices, too.

The only circumstance in which I'd recommend the Kobo would be if being able to borrow books from the library is important to you.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-30-2011 at 03:57 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Traye
Zealot

I bought a Kindle today. 90 quid from Currys.
I went for the one without the keyboard as I couldn't really justify paying an extra 60 or so quid for one with a keyboard. They seem to be phasing out the Wifi only keyboard version.
3G wasn't an issue for me either as I live in an area with great free wifi and I could always use my iphone as a hotspot if I wanted to.
I generally load up my readers with books then they're ready to go anyway.

Kindle is on charge now. I've registered it with my Amazon account and my home wifi network and it was super easy.

I love it. It's extremely light and makes my Sony 505 look rather bulky. I haven't really read on it yet, I've downloaded the books I had on my account already for the Kindle app on my iphone and ipod touch.

I can't wait to use it properly.

I'm thrilled with it.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It will be interesting to see how long they make the K3. I think that they understand that there is a market for it because they have not phased it out. In the past, the K1 and K2 stopped selling when the next model was introduced.