Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
downunda
downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!downunda , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glow
Kobo Glo Shelves / Folders

I have a list of of some 200 authors that I want to create shelves for then insert approx. 1000 associated titles into them. I want an easy way to do it.

This must be a common requirement and I thought I might find a useful utility to help me through it.

I thought that perhaps it could be done using Calibre but have not been able to discover such an option. Can anyone please help here?
downunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well.. take a look at the thread A Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre 0.9.1 and above for Touch / Glo / Mini and look at the section on "Driver / calibre Configuration".

Now in step 2 I show how to make shelves based on Series and your own custom column.

I wonder what might happen if you used another column name there besides Series; possibly Author ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do seem to remember some folks finding browsing through a large number of shelves to be slow.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
I use the Calibre plugin that PeterT just mentioned. With this plugin it would be easy (although maybe a bit time consuming) to do what you are wanting to do. You could simply select all the books you want to put on a particular shelf, batch edit metadata, and type in the name of the shelf where you want them in the appropriate column (a shelf column is created with this plugin). You can put a book in more than one shelf, it's as simple as typing two shelf names for that book or group of books, separated by a comma. For example, I selected all 7 Harry Potter books and made a shelf named "Harry Potter, Magic". That put them all on both the Harry Potter shelf and the Magic shelf at the same time. You could easily do the same with larger numbers and more shelves.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunda View Post
I have a list of of some 200 authors that I want to create shelves for then insert approx. 1000 associated titles into them. I want an easy way to do it.
You might find this is not as useful as you first think. Navigating through 200 shelves will be slow, it would probably be much faster just to search on the author's name, which will bring up a list of all the books by that author -- pretty much the same as a shelf, but without all the work of creating the shelves.

Shelves for author or series are a bit redundant as both of these terms are searchable. Genre or other properties that can't be searched for are better uses for shelves (IMHO of course).

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-26-2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I'm with Geoff here. I used to have shelves per author on my Kindle. It was slowed down by a massive number of shelves and I ended up just using author sort.

On my Kobo, I have a custom shelf column in Calibre. When I add new books, I decide where I want them to sit -- Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Scifi, Non Fiction, Classics etc, and add this to my custom column. Then when I plug in my Kobo, Calibre shoves my books in the shelf for each genre. The series sort (current firmware no longer sorts by series info, that's why I'm not upgrading my Glo's firmware) function means the series info I supplied in Calibre is there in my Kobo and sorts my books within the shelves for me.

The sticky thread in the forum has more info on how to do this.

I'm hoping Kobo put it back or give us a series sort option.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I do seem to remember some folks finding browsing through a large number of shelves to be slow.
The start up is definitely slow. But the browsing is fine. I have 35 pages of shelves which I personally do not think is a lot. But that said it does seem inordinately slow accessing the shelves. Now 99% of my books are on the sd card and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Then when I plug in my Kobo, Calibre shoves my books in the shelf for each genre.
We must be using different versions of calibre. For me, calibre gently places the books in the appropriate shelf. "Shove" is what I do to get all the paperbacks onto the shelves
Quote:
The series sort (current firmware no longer sorts by series info, that's why I'm not upgrading my Glo's firmware) function means the series info I supplied in Calibre is there in my Kobo and sorts my books within the shelves for me.

The sticky thread in the forum has more info on how to do this.

I'm hoping Kobo put it back or give us a series sort option.
Don't get me started on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
The start up is definitely slow. But the browsing is fine. I have 35 pages of shelves which I personally do not think is a lot. But that said it does seem inordinately slow accessing the shelves. Now 99% of my books are on the sd card and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
The shelf list is built from the database. And from some things I have done to my database, it doesn't check if the books on the shelves are actually in the library list (managed to get the shelf list showing a shelf had 5 books, but it was empty when opened). The time to open the shelf list seems to be dependent on the total shelves and the total number of shelved books. If you have 10 shelves with 1000 books spread over them will be roughly the same as having 20 shelves with 500 books on them. All this means is that having books on the SD card won't affect building the shelf list. But, it will affect opening a shelf as the covers have to be generated.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
"Shove" is what I do to get all the paperbacks onto the shelves
Calibre 64 latest version? Mine definitely chucks. Sometimes it lobs. Occasionally flings acrobatically with a somersault if it wants to show off.
Perhaps my Kobo and Calibre know how eager I am to start reading what I am transferring. Is it a feature of the driver?

Either that or it may be my cheap micro SD lead.

Quote:
Don't get me started on that.
Please, start. The more we keep mentioning it, the more Kobo might listen and fix what was an awesome feature.
I was thinking about series with different authors. Like the Star Trek, Stargate or Honorverse, or Wheel of Time and more. Handling these without series sort isn't pretty; I think I'd need a shelf.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@Liesse; I feel your discomfort with the loss of Series info. Trust me when I say I've been raising that issue over with the beta folks from the first time the change hit us.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Please, start. The more we keep mentioning it, the more Kobo might listen and fix what was an awesome feature.
I promised someone I wouldn't start
Quote:
I was thinking about series with different authors. Like the Star Trek, Stargate or Honorverse, or Wheel of Time and more. Handling these without series sort isn't pretty; I think I'd need a shelf.
I haven't seen any behaviour on the device that makes me think it thinks series are author specific. The sorting in 2.3.1 for title was "<series name> <series number> <book title>". I'm pretty sure I tested with different authors and the series was grouped together no matter the author.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi all,

I think I will file a request: 2 shelves per line (= 14 shelves by page instead of 7).

Anyone with me ?

;-)

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Not a bad idea. But I have had some long shelf names that might not fit. They could shrink the space above and below the names to get more on a screen.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi David,

You mean I should ask not only ask for a 14 shelves / page display, but also for a switch in the settings to turn this on or off.

The developers will love that ;-)

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote