Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Cybook Odyssey HD or Kobo Glo

Last week the Cybook Gen 3 I had for the past years stopped working, so I have to change it. I usually copy books through calibre from the pc, so I do not really need any kind of wifi, internet etc. I just want to load books and read. Even the touch screen is something irrelevant to me. I just want nice no glare screen (I was very very happy with the gen 3).
The front light feature is something that I would want so as to stop carrying around a book light any more, especially on trips. That is why I am looking into these two models.
So which of the two do you propose? Is it possible for both to completely turn off the led light when not needed to save battery?
Also has anyone used the pdf reflow? I never actually read scientific articles on the gen3 because too much preparation was needed on the pc. If the pdf reflow feature actually works ok with articles from eg. sciencedirect that would be another pro for me.
Thanx in advance!
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The light on the Glo can be turned off completely. There is a button on the top edge of the device to do this. It doesn't do PDF reflow, but has a reasonable zoom for PDF. But, I avoid PDF on mine and convert to epub if possible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I played with Kobo Glo in the shop and was quite impressed. Cannot recommend though as I don't have enough experience with it. I did order and return Odyssey - mine unfortunately developed pinholes through which light was shining. I did not hear about anyone else whose Cybook would have this problem.

It is (Odyssey) a very nice device, screen is lighted well, many options and interface will be familiar to you coming from Gen3. Something to consider as you cannot have folders on Kobo. I confirm you can turn off the light completely on Odyssey. When light is off the screen seemed quite dark, darker than my vizplex Opus or Pearl on K3. I didn't like it (please remember my opinion is totally subjective, perhaps for you it will be all right) I never read PDF on ereaders so was not even interested in trying that feature.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Hello crAss,

Illyria who has both devices kindly explained me what she likes/dislikes in them. Maybe that will be helpful for you, or you can ask her some questions.
You can find her reply here.

I hope that'll help you
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, the one time i tried reflow on the odyssey, it was so slow..

The reason I took the frontlight over the glo, the left / right physical button, and folder view. (must have for me).

Kobo have some nice margin setting though.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Samhy has already linked to my description of both readers. I just went and edited a couple of details, explained them at the bottom.

I really like both devices but if I had to choose one I would definitely take the Cybook. Love the folder structure, touchscreen plus page-turning buttons and physical home button, night mode, much less to no bluish tint of the light, and it works in a ziplock bag for bathtub reading.

Two things drive me a bit crazy with the Kobo: there is no "back" function, so if a book is opened, I cannot go back to the shelf it is in but must go to the home menu, then back to the shelf. I didn't realize how often I'm doing that until the Kobo made it impossible. Also, adding multiple books is a pain when you want to sort them into shelves because you have to go through your entire book collection to find them before assigning them to a shelf or use the search function to find each. Only 5 new books are displayed right on the home screen. I'm pretty sure you could avoid that problem by using calibre though.

If you do get the Cybook though, make sure that yours is an exemplar where the LED's are not visible at the bottom. Some Cybooks with frontlight have that problem as you can see in this Austrian video with the Cybook on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJLw4JOFfU

In a German thread I have read that some have this problem and some don't. The reader on display I played with at the shop did but the one I bought doesn't. I have no idea if this problem is a frequent occurrence or not though.

Last edited by Illyria; 02-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I am going for the Cybook. I've gotten used to the folder structure from the cybook gen3 I had and it would be perfect to continue with that, the pdf reflow is a hit or miss from what I understand (though it never was an actual criterion of purchase) and the screen is at least on par if not better than the kobo.
So thank you everybody!
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote