Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
505:Invisible Shield

Anyone tried one of These? I have them on my Nokia's but there, the screen takes more abuse.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They've come up periodically. The general consensus seems to be that they add enough glare as to not be worth it.

Personally, I use one on my Treo and it's fine, but I wouldn't want the degradation it adds on my 500.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Anyone tried one of These? I have them on my Nokia's but there, the screen takes more abuse.
We have this product on an iPod Touch and you can't even tell it is on there when comparing it to a non-zagged iPod touch. I expect the Sony screen cover would be just as "invisible". Hey, they should use that in the name.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We have this product on an iPod Touch and you can't even tell it is on there when comparing it to a non-zagged iPod touch. I expect the Sony screen cover would be just as "invisible". Hey, they should use that in the name.
An iPod Touch has a glossy screen by default. Glossy screen + glossy overlay = same appearence. The reader on the other hand has (wisely) a matte screen, and therefore doesn't have reflections. Matte screen + glossy overlay = glossy screen = shitty reading experience. I avoid glossy screens on all kinds of devices for the very same reason.

This is the "glare" Natch was talking about (which is a consequence of a glossy screen).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's also the point that, unlike PDAs, the iPod Touch, etc, the Sony screen does not have a soft touch-sensitive layer, and is hence much more immune to scratching.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert