Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #136
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you be a little more specific, please? Not that we don't trust you to keep your word, but it could avoid some embarrassing back-peddling.
Hey, its written. Bookmark the post.
Maybe I should ask for you to specifically support DRM if there are significant losses to casual sharing.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #137
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Maybe I should ask for you to specifically support DRM if there are significant losses to casual sharing.
Gotcha, so when you say "If there are no significant losses", you are are claiming the Humpty Dumpty rule.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #138
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
If, after going DRM free at or below their current ebook prices, TOR's ebook sales over the following year do not increase by at least 75% of the general ebook market unit increase (Or SF/Fantasy category increase if that is, by then, counted separately), I will cease to advocate for DRM free ebooks, and, indeed, I'll recommend that publishers should keep DRM on their ebooks.

Can I take it that you will take the opposite side of this?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #139
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If, after going DRM free at or below their current ebook prices, TOR's ebook sales over the following year do not increase by at least 75% of the general ebook market unit increase (Or SF/Fantasy category increase if that is, by then, counted separately), I will cease to advocate for DRM free ebooks, and, indeed, I'll recommend that publishers should keep DRM on their ebooks.

Can I take it that you will take the opposite side of this?
Not really, because the Tor editors make it clear that they think their current prices are just fine, and Macmillan supports agency pricing. You are moving the goal posts.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #140
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Gotcha, so when you say "If there are no significant losses", you are are claiming the Humpty Dumpty rule.
Nope, I am willing to go by whatever the book industry thinks is significant . If its significant, then Tor.com will say so.
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #141
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not really, because the Tor editors make it clear that they think their current prices are just fine, and Macmillan supports agency pricing. You are moving the goal posts.
Sorry? Where am I moving goalposts. I said at prices "at or below" (bold added). I'm just saying that if TOR go DRM free and at the same time raise prices by $1 across the board, I'm not going to be bound.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #142
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
No he is trying to put them up, but you won't specify where they should be or how wide.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #143
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry? Where am I moving goalposts. I said at prices "at or below" (bold added). I'm just saying that if TOR go DRM free and at the same time raise prices by $1 across the board, I'm not going to be bound.
OK, I missed the "at". Sorry. I might want to take you up on that. I'll think about it. Dunno if your measure would really indicate what significant losses would be.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #144
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Dunno if your measure would really indicate what significant losses would be.
Feel free to suggest another measure.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #145
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I cannot encourage enough the use of "gentlemen's" bets for resolving arguments.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #146
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I cannot encourage enough the use of "gentlemen's" bets for resolving arguments.
Then we'd best have a thread to keep track of them!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #147
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Great Idea
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #148
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Then we'd best have a thread to keep track of them!
Freeshadow beat me to it, but great idea.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #149
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What a great thread... just wish some people would make their minds up... all over MR, we have preaching of the evils of DRM and now a major imprint is abolishing it - cries of joy and great celebration - not really, more moans and groans...
No moans or groans here. This is great. Tor (and Baen ebooks, now that I know) will be getting my business.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #150
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Pending the outcome of litigation Amazon could and probably will lower prices.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote