Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin_do View Post
In this thread we collected lot of ideas for that. The Hardware is here not the limiting factor.
I think there is an Ectaco official forum for this.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin_do View Post
As I said the hardware is really good for A4 PDF reading. But the software at the moment does not provide a real benefit compared to paper. (besides the weight)
For 450EUR I can print over 20.000 pages.

I have to be an enthusiast to buy it or it has to provide a real benefit to advise it to a "normal" user.
The highlighting and scribbling functions and fast switching between many open books are such functions. These are far from perfect in the current release, but that can easily be optimized by some motivated programmers and a good concept for the menu structure and usage concept. In this thread we collected lot of ideas for that. The Hardware is here not the limiting factor.

Daniel
You can print it, but how do you plan on carrying it, or finding what you need, or jumping to the exact page you want, etc.?

It solves a lot of issues rather than lugging around paper (not to mention wastefulness towards the environment)
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Well here I go again.

"Dublin's Books";

Are you making the comparison to "your" M90 or one of those that you are selling
on your web site? Just wondering?

Luck;
Ken
I'm gonna have to agree with Ken and @ProDigit.

Why? Because:

@Dulins - If you do sell a product you're obviously gonna push for it to be sold for financial reasons and have a positive attitude towards them whether its conscious or subconscious.

@Nate - I've never read a positive review from this guy about anything.

@Lorenzo - Trolliest of trolls

The way to get a product to be improved is suggesting how it can be improved so that a company can read about this and implement the proper corrections.

Being negative will drive sales down and eventually take the product off the market leaving all of us that have it in the dust.

Optimism, it goes a longgg way
Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #19
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
LuBiB I don't think Lorenzo is a troll. He have his ideas and he desperatly wants to affirm them and he looks for all elements to say he was always right ("I said it from the beginning"). It's human behaviour but I think he is genuine because some of his statements are perfectly rational (even if I am not agree with him)

Sorry, for this post it is absolutely and I mean to make offence to no one. Only too many times I see Lorenzo accused to be a troll.

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-09-2012 at 04:24 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
We did have a bunch of people appearing all of a sudden at around the same time, trolling; so perhaps some people who're genuine against the Jetbook C, may unfortunately have ended up being called one...

But I feel what LuBib is saying, some users seem to only see the worst in a product; that actually is at the peak of it's existence; like criticizing the first computer, or car...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
We also feel the other way

All of a sudden JBC has strong advocacy with a few well ahead front runners willing to close their eyes and not to see the rip off that this device is.

In my opinion it is an insult for the buyers/users who do not get much for the money they pay or A LOT LESS than the users who bought other devices. We hear promises and promises, users are waiting the announced apocalyptic dates like March or April 1st and so on.

At least it would be fair to see what is missing and let others speak about it. It seems that you do not like to hear critical opinion for the device you own/promote. Everybody who says something is rapidly labelled as troll and silenced.

At the oposite end of the spectrum you are posting here "reviews" that DO NOT COMPARE THE EREADER WITH ANYTHING ELSE. Why is that? because it would be a shame for JBC. Its only strong point would be the color eink screen. Nothing else exceeds but the price.

In this respect I made here some comments that remained with no answer. Since the colors are poorer than for a regular tablet, the resolution is actually not fantastic and it does not help the eyes in any way why would anybody pay 500$ for this when you can get an IPAD2 for that money or a Samsung Galaxy ...???

Some of you are repeating the mantras "the future is brighter" and "Ectaco is a big company". Well if it is so big why is the software so poorly developed?? There is no other color ereader out there ....why the rush? By my opinion this ereader is in the premature stages of development far away from any production version good enough for the market. All you did was to pay for color screen and that is what it is.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with Ken and @ProDigit.

Why? Because:

@Dulins - If you do sell a product you're obviously gonna push for it to be sold for financial reasons and have a positive attitude towards them whether its conscious or subconscious.
You must have missed the many times over the last 2-3 years on this site when i have recommended to people devices i do not sell. I have recommended on various occasions Irex, Kindle, Nook and Sony and a couple others like the Infibeam Pi etc.

You have also missed the point that I have sold other Ectaco products and WANT to sell this device. I am simply deflated at the moment that I will be able to.

PF4- I have just seen either of those devices for $399 locally and refurbished for $50 less

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
By my opinion this ereader is in the premature stages of development far away from any production version good enough for the market.
I agree, but does this not also apply to the other 9.7" readers?
Low on performance, high on expectations, so it seems. At least Ectaco appears to be a pretty dynamic company.
The hardware has potential and software development could happen fast.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
So far for M92 everything is better and far ahead.
I would be glad to buy a second ereader better than M92 since I need another one for my wife. Show me that one!
M92 was also a disaster at the beginning but pardon me, the cost was lower and it is lower. Again, someone explain me why I have to pay more for less ??
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There may be a larger group of users that find the outdoor readable device meets a
need that is not addressed by any of the other options available. (Businesses that
have operations in the outdoors, fleets of dispersed workers. Utilities, Repair companies,
Agriculture, Timber, Mining, Outdoor venders, Sports and Recreational pursuits, ect...)

Home schoolers, especially in K-12 and in conjunction with sites like the http://www.ck12.org/ that is
linked to in the product description. Perhaps the "notetaking" capability is not up to a
collage student's needs, yet, but it could well meet a grade school student's needs.

Suggesting that it can't compete with an LCD tablet's color display or that it doesn't
function as well as, or in the same fashion, as another device is of no value unless that
other device can do everything that the JBC can. (And as far as I know there are no
other color e-Ink large format devices out there yet.) In fact they would be disqualified
even if they couldn't meet just one of a user's specific functional requirements, that the
JBC does meet.

So, like for many products, the JBC meets the needs of some quite well, just as it is.
Some of the "failings" that have been mentioned are likely a result of the nature of the
current performance available from this first generation "Triton" color e-Ink display.
Some maybe the result of overreaching and underperforming on product development's
part. Certainly there are features of the device that have not been implemented properly
yet.

Since it appears that Ectaco is selling them faster than they expected, even with the
need to promise further updates on the packaging, indicates to me that there is a buying
public willing to except the product as is. I am sure they are eagerly awaiting every
update, but I also think many are getting most of what they bought the device for, right
now. They are using its current capabilities to meet their current needs and for them
that is all they need for now.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
@Ken
A professional who works outdoor would find way more performing -and still readable- a standard tablet with Pixel Qi display (or a Mirasol).

K12 use for JBC? Sorry this couldnt be done. In the hands of a kid this device would be dead in a few days. And its interface is way too complicated for that.

"Wait and see" is the only advice I can give, basing upon the previous experiences of all the other 9,7" devices.

@mod186k1. Thanks for your trust. I think I'm no 'desperate' , I just think what I already explained lots of times, often wih no answers but insults (not from you): selling unready devices is unethical, I criticize every company which does it. Then, if we sit down and talk about what can be done to improve this device, for me it's a pleasure. But I can stand no lies, nor (my fault) the consumerism talibans' religion.

@ LuBib: you didn't ever answer ONE single question of the many I made, nor rationally argued back to my statements. You seem to have not any valid argument, and that's easy to understand: when you didnt' even know what 'reflow' is, but you pretend to debate over an ebook reader.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-11-2012 at 02:46 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
A professional who works outdoor would find way more performing -and still readable- a standard tablet with Pixel Qi display (or a Mirasol).

K12 use for JBC? Sorry this couldnt be done. In the hands of a kid this device would be dead in a few days. And its interface is way too complicated for that.
So.. get a Norton Ink "Adam"? Something else available -NOW?

It's a good thing all those Russian kids are so much more coordinated, and
used to handling modern computer GUI, right?

Luck;
Ken

P.S. Of course the Norton Ink "Adam" was so quick to market, and yet there were no
failed expectations with that, right? Well, maybe not, but look at all those "Mirasol"
10" ereaders you can get now a days.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-11-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
1) I dont' think it's the only one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B3hQgz4avLQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQkR...layer_embedded
http://www.smartpaddle.com/index.html
http://www.sh-shizhu.com/

And don't forget Mirasol.

2) Russian schools are doing EXPERIMENTS involving just some classes at a time. Russ schools are not going to widely adopt any of the currently sold ereaders. First, because none of them is ready for K12 schools (both software and hardware-side). Second, because they're all far too pricey for schools. Third, textbooks are not ready enough. Fourth, teachers are not ready to make a wide use of digital devices at school, as they can become like boomerangs. You do not make a so big investment if you haven't any idea of what you get in return. That's why we still need to experiment and evaluate.
no 1) I dont' think it's the only one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B3hQgz4avLQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQkR...layer_embedded
http://www.smartpaddle.com/index.html
http://www.sh-shizhu.com/

And don't forget Mirasol.

2) Russian schools are doing EXPERIMENTS involving just some classes. Russ schools are not going to widely adopt any of the currently sold ereaders. First, because none of them is ready for K12 schools (both software and hardware-side). Second, because they're all far too pricey for schools. Third, textbooks are not ready enough. Fourth, teachers are not ready to use digital devices at school.

I can guarantee you, in no K12-equivalent in the world there will be a wide use of current e-ink devices.

ink

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #29
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
We also feel the other way

All of a sudden JBC has strong advocacy with a few well ahead front runners willing to close their eyes and not to see the rip off that this device is.

In my opinion it is an insult for the buyers/users who do not get much for the money they pay or A LOT LESS than the users who bought other devices. We hear promises and promises, users are waiting the announced apocalyptic dates like March or April 1st and so on.

At least it would be fair to see what is missing and let others speak about it. It seems that you do not like to hear critical opinion for the device you own/promote. Everybody who says something is rapidly labelled as troll and silenced.

At the oposite end of the spectrum you are posting here "reviews" that DO NOT COMPARE THE EREADER WITH ANYTHING ELSE. Why is that? because it would be a shame for JBC. Its only strong point would be the color eink screen. Nothing else exceeds but the price.

In this respect I made here some comments that remained with no answer. Since the colors are poorer than for a regular tablet, the resolution is actually not fantastic and it does not help the eyes in any way why would anybody pay 500$ for this when you can get an IPAD2 for that money or a Samsung Galaxy ...???

Some of you are repeating the mantras "the future is brighter" and "Ectaco is a big company". Well if it is so big why is the software so poorly developed?? There is no other color ereader out there ....why the rush? By my opinion this ereader is in the premature stages of development far away from any production version good enough for the market. All you did was to pay for color screen and that is what it is.
Where are you hearing about empty promises and who is making them??

I dont even know what to suggest to make the device better. WiFi? Hell nah, i dont need that because i already have all my documents on the device.

I am totally for the device because it completely changed how i come to class and actually study.

10 fat stacks of paper in my bookbag? No thanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #30
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
You must have missed the many times over the last 2-3 years on this site when i have recommended to people devices i do not sell. I have recommended on various occasions Irex, Kindle, Nook and Sony and a couple others like the Infibeam Pi etc.

You have also missed the point that I have sold other Ectaco products and WANT to sell this device. I am simply deflated at the moment that I will be able to.

PF4- I have just seen either of those devices for $399 locally and refurbished for $50 less
My advice: sell them to schools!!

That's the market it's directed towards and i feel like im the only one in this forum still in school!

I've legit put 2 of my marketing classes on the idea of getting a class subsidy for them and it might go through in the next 2 weeks.

Mass market? Sure, it could work but from a primary source (me) this changes the need for notebooks/paper/textbooks all over the place.