Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Lucas C.
Lucas C. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
dictionary: popup preview

I've got a Kindle 3. As I'm not a native English speaker I use the built-in dictionary quite frequently. The instant preview of a given word in a popup window is pretty useful but I find it, from time to time, impossible to understand a definition just by looking at its small part. My question is whether or not it's possible to broaden this popup window to e.g. to 5 lines, instead of 2.
Lucas C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it isn't. All you can do is to display the full definition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I am sure you already noticed that if necessary you can press "Enter" and go the dictionary to see the entire article and then return back to the book you were reading by pressing "Back."

Another option would be for you to buy (or make your own) a translation dictionary from English to your language. In that case, the two lines could be all you need.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
I was hoping a jailbreak would allow this but I haven't found any yet. Even 3 lines would be be great. I find 2 too little.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
I.Roland
I.Roland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3-wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
I was hoping a jailbreak would allow this but I haven't found any yet. Even 3 lines would be be great. I find 2 too little.
Agreed. 3 lines would be much much better.
I.Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

yeah 3 lines would be cool,
You can suggest it at the developer's corner. But I think it's pretty hard. Normally the space of the progress bar is used for definitions. Three lines would mean changing the whole formatting of the kindle reading screen.
(I remember one request to toggle the progress bar, which i believe still isn't possible)
Maybe it's easier to change the font size of the pop up definitions.
Or when using the kindle 3 always make the definiton pop up at the top of the page and simultaneously let the next 2 lines of the definition pop up at the bottom of the page.
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stehk View Post
Or when using the kindle 3 always make the definiton pop up at the top of the page and simultaneously let the next 2 lines of the definition pop up at the bottom of the page.
How would that work? When you're selecting a word at the top of the screen, the definition appears at the bottom. If it appeared at the top, you couldn't see that word that was being selected.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-08-2011 at 12:36 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I agree, it would be nice if the dictionary preview had more lines. Almost all of the time, I end up on clicking to the full definition because the preview is too short.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

oh sorry about that. I only know the K3 from a friend and didn't remember right.
Additionally i completely forgot, that there is a huge bold line saying "Begin typing to create a note or click to start a highlight", which could be used for a further line.
It's really strange that I got this wrong, considering how often I have looked at dictionary definitons on the kindle.
I must be a real expert in blocking things out I don't consider important
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle