Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Immense gaps between paragraphs

Probably this question has been asked hundreds of times.

I have ePub with huge gaps between every paragraph. Can I edit the file to get rid of the gaps?

Thanks,
A.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
You could try editing it using Sigil (there's a Sigil forum here in MobileRead where you can find links to download and install Sigil, and lots of info about using it). Make a copy of the EPUB file first, though, just in case it doesn't turn out the way you want it to!

If you know HTML and CSS, an alternative would be to change the file extension from .epub to .zip (again, make a copy of the EPUB file first!), then unzip the file and hand edit the (X)HTML content files and the CSS file(s). Note that when you zip the edited files up again, you need to ensure that the mimetype file is the first file in the zip archive, and uncompressed.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see. Thanks!
Too complicated.
Will use it as it is.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
There are two possibilities:
1 - Incredibly ugly formatting including hardcoded empty paragraphs or breaks inside the body of the text.
2 - Bad formatting of paragraphs in the CSS file.

If the problem is (2), then it can be easily fixed editing the CSS file with a text editor (requires unzipping and zipping) or with Sigil.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert

Can I unzip it and make LRF in BD?
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Can I unzip it and make LRF in BD?
No, you should first convert it to something that BD can take as input. If you use Calibre, you can convert your ePub to RTF (or maybe HTML, I haven't checked) and then open with BD and then you know.... there's no limit to what you can do!!!

Last edited by Pablo; 12-10-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
No, you should first convert it to something that BD can take as input. If you use Calibre, you can convert your ePub to RTF (or maybe HTML, I haven't checked) and then open with BD and then you know.... there's no limit to what you can do!!!
OK. Thanks a lot, please forget about it. I will finish reading the book before I finish editing it
Nevermind!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
If you post the book (or PM it to me) I could probably make the fix for you. I work with ePubs all the time, so it would be trivial for me. I know how annoying it can be to read a badly formatted book!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote