Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #451
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
Was over on the Kobo forum and there is a post with photo of a kobo glo with blotches. Same colors. According to what I read, seems to be an unusual occurrence for them. Would link but don't know how to.

Wonder what factory it's made in. Maybe it is catching.
In Windows, right click on image and select Copy Link Location. In the MR post edit window click the Insert Image icon, paste the link into the popup box, and that is it.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #452
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
Was over on the Kobo forum and there is a post with photo of a kobo glo with blotches. Same colors. According to what I read, seems to be an unusual occurrence for them. Would link but don't know how to.

Wonder what factory it's made in. Maybe it is catching.
Here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...56&postcount=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vmal5.png
Views:	234
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	94020  

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 10-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #453
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Thanks
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #454
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Looks like Kobo does a much better job of distributing light evenly. I don't see any dark shadow areas like I do on almost all the PW photos, even the official Amazon photos. But it looks like the same sort of discolorations. I think this first generation of light layered e-readers needs a lot of improvement! I'll wait until next year. I decided to get a Nexus 7 for night reading. Even if an iPad Mini gets released there could be issues with them too, so better to wait on that until next year as well.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #455
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Looks like Kobo does a much better job of distributing light evenly. I don't see any dark shadow areas like I do on almost all the PW photos, even the official Amazon photos. But it looks like the same sort of discolorations. I think this first generation of light layered e-readers needs a lot of improvement! I'll wait until next year. I decided to get a Nexus 7 for night reading. Even if an iPad Mini gets released there could be issues with them too, so better to wait on that until next year as well.
I really want the paperwhite, but will be waiting as well. No matter how good the Kobo screen looks I would never buy one from them. I don't have the patience to deal with their customer service if anything should go wrong. I can wait for Amazon to fix this properly. And I love my K3 anyhow
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #456
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Wells guys (and gals), 3 strikes and they're out. I'm going to return my original and replacement #2. I really wanted to like the PW, but every time I turn it on to read, I see the flaws.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet (as for giving a difference device a try). I still have my K4B and my iPad 3. It's not like I won't have a device to read with. That will have to do for now.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #457
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I really want it as well.
And I just tried to explain to my sis overr the phone how to install a dictionary on her K4 and how to look up a word. She was close to hanging up on me. For people who are complete non-techies, I see the PW being the better option. To appease her, I kept telling her that on the PW, you would just touch.... She can't wait for it.
Little does she know about the endless replacements .. I don't want her to get
it and think it's a crap device, so I won't tell her how much effort it was to get a good screen.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #458
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Well maybe if it wasn't called PaperWHITE in the first place nobody would mind that much. Expectations were too high which is not the fault of the customers.
Sure. I was mainly responding to the question of why reviewers haven't been commenting on it. Certainly, it's not optimal and whether or not it's acceptable comes down to personal preference. For myself, it's okay but not great. I still prefer the features and functionality, and so I'll put up with the screen. I can see how some people wouldn't be able to handle it.

And agreed, the marketing verbiage Amazon's used is unfortunate.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #459
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Wells guys (and gals), 3 strikes and they're out. I'm going to return my original and replacement #2. I really wanted to like the PW, but every time I turn it on to read, I see the flaws.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet (as for giving a difference device a try). I still have my K4B and my iPad 3. It's not like I won't have a device to read with. That will have to do for now.
Too bad!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #460
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Sure. I was mainly responding to the question of why reviewers haven't been commenting on it. Certainly, it's not optimal and whether or not it's acceptable comes down to personal preference. For myself, it's okay but not great. I still prefer the features and functionality, and so I'll put up with the screen. I can see how some people wouldn't be able to handle it.

And agreed, the marketing verbiage Amazon's used is unfortunate.
I say Amazon should offer a steep discount to customers with color blobs, if they are willing to get an OTA update to get the light disableD. Make it $69, same as the K4B, for customers who already have a defective unit and dealt with multiple returns already. Or, for new customers, sell the non-light version for $89.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #461
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I say Amazon should offer a steep discount to customers with color blobs, if they are willing to get an OTA update to get the light disableD. Make it $69, same as the K4B, for customers who already have a defective unit and dealt with multiple returns already. Or, for new customers, sell the non-light version for $89.
I almost kept mine for reading without the light. It is slightly better than my Touch screen-wise with light at level 0, but reasoning ruled it out. I know the PW interface and speed is so much better, but I couldn't justify the price for a slightly better version of the Touch. Plus I was afraid that it would also start looking bad someday even at level 0.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #462
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
It looks like Amazon is now posting a real world example of the screen:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000841001
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #463
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
It looks like Amazon is now posting a real world example of the screen:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000841001
This is going to sound more smartass than I intend it, but there's already a five-page thread on this. Amazon seems to have updated the product info last night, including the 'reality' images.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #464
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Try a replacement. You can keep your still, just make sure you return one within 30 days of them sending you an email with a return label. My first one had, amongts other things, three too bright areas, apart from the ever present bottom light cones. The replacements did not, they just had other issues.
Will they send the replacement in a timely manner though? I'd hate to have to send off the one I have, just to get one that is worse. :/
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #465
jswinden
Nameless Being

They sent both of my replacements overnight.