Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
W H Smiths - Half price e-books offer

Just seen this tweeted:
Quote:
WHSmithcouk All eBooks Half Price! http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/
Anyone know if there's any restrictions on number of times you can download? there's a couple of books I fancy, but don't have my Kindle yet.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Just read:
Quote:
Can I transfer Mobipocket eBooks to an Amazon® Kindle?

No. The Amazon Kindle does not currently support eBooks protected with Mobipocket DRM.
Nevermind, still a great offer for those who can use it though.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Arrrg! All the eBooks I want are available in the UK only.

*edit*
Plus the site must be busy 'cause it's painfully slow.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 08-16-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
redhead231
Enthusiast
redhead231 doesn't litterredhead231 doesn't litter

Device: PRS 505
That makes a change, its normally the USA that gets the good deals...lol Off to take a look now.
redhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Does anyone know how W.H. Smith determines geographic restrictions? Can I buy a gift voucher, and then change (temporarily) my address to somewhere in the UK, or do I need to have a UK IP? There are several ebooks I'd like to buy that are not available in the US and may never be.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Arrrg! All the eBooks I want are available in the UK only.

*edit*
Plus the site must be busy 'cause it's painfully slow.
Yep, same here.

It is pretty funny - because Amazon will sell me the exact same book and edition in the case of the one I looked at.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm in the UK at the moment. Wonder if I can buy any books.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Does anyone know how W.H. Smith determines geographic restrictions? Can I buy a gift voucher, and then change (temporarily) my address to somewhere in the UK, or do I need to have a UK IP? There are several ebooks I'd like to buy that are not available in the US and may never be.
I'd like the answer to this as well. Although my #1 ebook desire, The Power of One, isn't available, there are several other Bryce Courtenay ebooks available that I'd love to purchase.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think you might have to do the IP thing.

I tried buying an ebook a few weeks ago by simply putting in a UK address in my profile, but it didn't work. I am not sure, however, whether this also applies to buying via vouchers.

So it looks like a VPN is needed, but most seem to give you a US IP. I don't know of any which will give a British one.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thank you, it's so nice to see an offer that actually might apply to me.

I have to check if the book I want (Stone's Fall by Iain Pears) is available for France though. Right now the site seems to be having problems, as others said.

Edit: yes, it is available for France!!! I've had my eyes on this book for a while now
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
So it looks like a VPN is needed, but most seem to give you a US IP. I don't know of any which will give a British one.

The do exist, but I don't know of any that are free to everyone who asks (I know of one that's free if you manage to get one of the free accounts they give away each month). You can try for a free one from hideipvpn.com. I think they give away 25 a month, but they go quickly.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #12
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I have to check if the book I want (Stone's Fall by Iain Pears) is available for France though. Right now the site seems to be having problems, as others said.

Edit: yes, it is available for France!!! I've had my eyes on this book for a while now
When I checked out the site, nearly all the books were listed with "access restricted" - but if you click that, you find that access is "restricted" to most of Europe. Hoo-ray for our side! (for a change)!

Unfortunately the latest Bill Bryson isn't quite affordable yet, even at half price. (They seem to be marking down from the hardback edition - think I'll wait and see if it comes down a bit.)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
The do exist, but I don't know of any that are free to everyone who asks (I know of one that's free if you manage to get one of the free accounts they give away each month). You can try for a free one from hideipvpn.com. I think they give away 25 a month, but they go quickly.

Eric
The "Pay VPN" from http://hidemyass.com allows you to choose which country you appear to be in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #14
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Ditto for the paid one from HidIPVPN. I use it to watch British and American TV even though I'm overseas. . .
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
www.hidden.org

May work for some. Free but not secure.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote