Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Difference between the dozens of versions of Public Domain books?

I've been trying to pick up a few classic works such as "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo and "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy.

Imagine my surprise to discover that Amazon apparently has dozens of versions of the same book!

For example, when I search for "war and peace tolstoy", I get 3 pages of results, including:

1. http://www.amazon.com/War-and-Peace-...6484216&sr=1-2

2. http://www.amazon.com/War-and-Peace-...6484216&sr=1-3

3. http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Vantage-...6484216&sr=1-5

Does anyone know what difference each of these versions have?
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Who made them and put them up on the Kindle Store --- when Amazon first opened up self-publishing on the Kindle there was a bit of a land rush by entrepreneurs to post books made from Project Gutenberg or from self-made scans. The care and effort put into them and the resultant quality varies widely.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you looking there, rather than at the nicely hand-crafted versions right here at MR? Most of the ones in the Kindle Store are there "to make a quick buck". Ours at MR are created by people who love eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why are you looking there, rather than at the nicely hand-crafted versions right here at MR? Most of the ones in the Kindle Store are there "to make a quick buck". Ours at MR are created by people who love eBooks.
I can attest to that. The formatting of the books here is also better than almost all the ones from the big publishers. This is my first stop for things to read.

Thanks to HarryT and the others here for the great job they do.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Ditto the the above comments - I'm currently reading HarryT's hand-crafted version of the Mapp & Lucia Omnibus (BTW - Amazon only had the first 2 volumes - and their formatting sucked!) - wonderful formatting! Look at MR first for the classics!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And I'll third Harry's comment. If you're looking the the classics (and not so classic), MR is the place to get them. If I haven't said it before -- Thank's to all the contributors for their hard work!
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Angelbleu, we're begging you. Check here first. The books are FREE and well formatted. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Click on my linky for help downloading.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
angelbleu
Enthusiast

Wow, thanks for pointing that out! (Gave me quite a "DOH!" moment )

Is it possible to read MR books on a Kindle?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbleu View Post

It certainly is. You'll be wanting the Mobipocket format versions, I believe. Someone will be along in approximately 0.123secs to correct me if I'm wrong, so stay tuned.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Click on my linky........"how to download books from MR.....
Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
angelbleu
Enthusiast

@desertgrandma: Oops, sorry for being such a newbie.

I had set my forum preferences to "disable signatures", and was wondering what linky you were referring to! :P

Now I know better than to look for public domain books on Amazon's Kindle Store.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
@desertgrandma: Oops, sorry for being such a newbie.

I had set my forum preferences to "disable signatures", and was wondering what linky you were referring to! :P

Now I know better than to look for public domain books on Amazon's Kindle Store.

Thanks!
We don't have "every" PB book available, but its always best to check here first.....then www.feedbooks.com and then www.manybooks.net
Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Angelbleu, we're begging you. Check here first. The books are FREE and well formatted. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Click on my linky for help downloading.
Mobile read is like quality control for your PD books! A real time saver.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I will point out that, in some cases, Amazon is carrying kindle versions of books with updated translations (and therefore not out of copyright).

For example, in the case of The Count of Monte Cristo Amazon is carrying multiple versions. The most expensive version ($9.75 currently), is this one from Penguin, which is the one (relatively recently) translated by the late Robin Buss. All of the prior versions, including the PG version, all use the 1846 anonymous translation. Of course, the Buss translation is vastly superior, and in my opinion, well worth both reading and owning (particularly if you are a fan of Edmund Dantes). You can read a small bit about the differences on wikipedia.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I would echo that sentiment about the updated translations. The classics here on MR are obviously the free public domain versions, most of which were translated decades ago, if not more than a hundred years ago. The example of The Count of Monte Cristo is a good one: the recent translation by Robin Buss is excellent and updated and includes numerous footnotes to the text that bring much context into the story that a recent reader would not understand about the original text. Same thing with Don Quixote: the translation by Edith Grossman is excellent and includes hundreds of footnotes to the text.

I would say that if all you want is the same text that everyone read back in high school or college of these wonderful classics and have no interest in the context or added information provided by numerous researched footnotes, then the versions uploaded here on MR are obviously fine and there is no reason to pay anyone for the same thing one can find here for free. But there can be a valid reason for paying for an updated translation that is both excellent and provides much of interest in additional notations.

P.S.: I've been searching for a good epub of Buss' translation of Monte Cristo; Sony doesn't have it for sale at the Sony store. Amazon has it, but I don't have a Kindle. I found a epub of this translation at ebookmall.com for only $2.99, but I'm skeptical because it's so cheap. Anyone have any experience with that website? Anyone know if this really is the Buss translation, and does it include all the footnotes in the print version?

Last edited by cmdahler; 02-28-2010 at 07:37 PM.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote